Should I Keep Current PSU for New Build?

FRZ

2[H]4U
My trusty EVGA Supernova P2 1200w has served me well in my main rig for 7 years and through several chip generations. Never put it under too much stress, but it has always been stable, even at decent overclocks.

Now that I'm considering a new 12900k/3090 RTX update, I was curious if it was still sufficient to power these parts?

Is there a general rule where you should consider replacing a PSU after a certain amount of time?

My trusty EVGA Supernova P2 1200w has served me well in my main rig for 7 years and through several chip generations. Never put it under too much stress, but it has always been stable, even at decent overclocks.

Now that I'm considering a new 12900k/3090 RTX update, I was curious if it was still sufficient to power these parts?

Is there a general rule where you should consider replacing a PSU after a certain amount of time?
pop the cover off, check for any signs of overheating or bad caps. if none, might as well keep using it, its a good unit and plenty for that.

pop the cover off, check for any signs of overheating or bad caps. if none, might as well keep using it, its a good unit and plenty for that.
If that model has a 10 year warranty, then he potentially voids the warranty opening it up.

I do believe the PSU had a 10 year warranty, but I just checked and I never actually registered the product with evga if that matters.

I did purchase it from new from Amazon so it should have been fully covered.

I do believe the PSU had a 10 year warranty, but I just checked and I never actually registered the product with evga if that matters.

I did purchase it from new from Amazon so it should have been fully covered.

Yeah, well, you know how EVGA is. Either you register with them within the first 90 days or else you get a basic warranty instead of what you should get.

I would just use it personally.

For an EVGA or high quality PSU like Seasonic; if the warranty is still valid It would be 50/50 for me. Any, other, PSU, at all, at 7 years old? Not in my main rig. Or in a rig I was building for someone who I didn't want to have problems. A test bench, sure, why not.

My thoughts are this is a 50/50 decision. I would lean to get a new PSU and keep the current one on hand for a back up.

Thank you all for the info :)

Seems like the PSU should still be worth keeping for the time being.

What are usually the first signs of psu stability issues to keep an eye out for?

If the PSU is faulty or unstable, you can experience anything from shutdowns, crashes, or freezes, to display corruption, or even failure to boot up.
The problem is, it might seem like some other component is failing, a bad PSU in that sense can take time to isolate and find at fault. Even a bad cable could make an otherwise-fine PSU appear to be the culprit.

Back