Should I go with VZW / Samsung Charge, or Sprint / Motorola Photon?

Mizugori

[H]ard|Gawd
I cannot make up my freaking mind, I am switching jobs and need to get a new cellphone plan (long story, my current job lets me use my company droid for personal use.) I know I want a kickass phone and 4g is pretty important to me. Mainly I am debating between going Verizon and getting the Charge, or going Sprint and getting the Photon (or possibly another Sprint phone such as the EVO 4G or EVO 3D.)

Firstly, I live in NY so coverage is probably not going to be an issue with any carrier.

Can anyone weigh in here and help me decide? I did a bunch of research but I am still not sure which way to go...

Unless you work near a window or around the perimeter of a building, then I would go with Verizon since their 700 MHz LTE penetrates buildings a lot better than Sprints 2500 MHz WiMAX spectrum. The only thing that sucks though is Sprints 4G phones beat the crap out of Verizons right now. I would choose any of them over the three available on Verizon. I hate to say it; but if you can wait another 3-4 weeks, the Bionic will be out around Sept. 1st and the Function/Fascinate 2/GS2 should be out in the next few weeks too. It's still up in the air as to whether or not it will be 4G or not now though. I don't really care if it is or not, I'll prolly get it regardless, but it would be disappointing if it's not (which I'm actually expecting).

Oh, and I would make sure that 2 GBs is going to be enough for you unless you're willing to pay retarded prices for more data. I wouldn't be on Verizon right now if I wasn't able to keep my old unlimited plan.

Verizon's 4G is much, much faster than Sprint's. Other than that, it's kind of a wash because Sprint roams on Verizon's towers so the coverage should be the same for calls.

Verizon's 4G is much, much faster than Sprint's. Other than that, it's kind of a wash because Sprint roams on Verizon's towers so the coverage should be the same for calls.

Yeah, but they only roam on each others voice/1X freqs, not 3G or 4G and who uses their phones to talk anymore? :p

Sprint has a 30 day trial that allows you to use their network and a phone of your choice. There is also a e-mail address they are letting you use which basically knocks 10 a month off your bill if you do decide to sign up with them.

can you explain about the email address climber?

also, any thoughts on the phones?? what sprint phone is best? I am now leaning toward the EVO 3D... any thoughts?

can you explain about the email address climber?

also, any thoughts on the phones?? what sprint phone is best? I am now leaning toward the EVO 3D... any thoughts?

http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp

E-Mail: [email protected]
Last 3 of CID: 383

He is one of the higher up people at Sprint and publicly posted the info on his blog.

Or if you work for a major corp, they always have discounts. Call sprint and ask. It is usually 20% or more.

I would try sprint first, since I find verizon highly overpriced. Also they have caps, so no point of LTE. If you don't like sprint after 30 days, then switch.

THANKS! very nice find.

Any thoughts on EVO 3D vs Photon and are there any awesome new phones about to come out for Sprint that I should be waiting for?

THANKS! very nice find.

Any thoughts on EVO 3D vs Photon and are there any awesome new phones about to come out for Sprint that I should be waiting for?

Galaxy S2, September.
iPhone if the rumors of it being on all carriers is true. Again September.

Dno which is better between the Evo and Photon though.

the samsung epic touch might be worth it, as for the iphone, meh i think its an overpriced hunk of crap with way less power and functionality than cheaper droid counterparts. basically mac's typical brainwash campaign...

Galaxy S2, September.
iPhone if the rumors of it being on all carriers is true. Again September.

Dno which is better between the Evo and Photon though.

This. If possible wait until the GS2 releases. iPhone may be pretty decent based off of the rumors but so far that is all we have to go on regarding that. Evo3d seems pretty nice if you need it now. Not sure about the photon, is that a release name for a sprint branded phone?

How does the sero plan (waht is described below) work if you are already a sprint member?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a smart phone soon but would like the cheaper rate of the sero plan if possible :)

http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp

E-Mail: [email protected]
Last 3 of CID: 383

He is one of the higher up people at Sprint and publicly posted the info on his blog.

Or if you work for a major corp, they always have discounts. Call sprint and ask. It is usually 20% or more.

I would try sprint first, since I find verizon highly overpriced. Also they have caps, so no point of LTE. If you don't like sprint after 30 days, then switch.

How does the sero plan (waht is described below) work if you are already a sprint member?

I'm thinking of upgrading to a smart phone soon but would like the cheaper rate of the sero plan if possible :)

Sprint doesn't offer a whole lot "up front" for existing customers, but given their retention rate, they'll often bend a bit to keep you happy. I called regarding the SERO / Everything+ discounts about 6 months ago and they wouldn't give it to me, but they credited me with $50.00 off my next two bills which was decent of them.

I'm holding out on upgrading until the Galaxy S2 comes out. In theory, I should get the same price as a new customer would, but I plan to try and do some pitchforking with the whole "So you care more about new customers than existing ones?" bit. The ace in the hole for me is that my employer gets a 17% discount through Verizon. So we'll see what's gonna happen.

Show Verizon and AT&T that data caps and predatory business practices ultimately hurts them. Go with Sprint.

Show Verizon and AT&T that data caps and predatory business practices ultimately hurts them. Go with Sprint.

I just read both are going to start throttling data above 2.5GB in October. I wonder if that's grounds for ending the contract with no ETF.

Back