• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I get new speakers?

Mavsfan

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 7, 2012
Messages
64
Ok,

I just bought a SB Recon to replace my onboard 7.1 sound card on a Dell 435MT... I have hooked up Klipsch 5.1 speakers that are 10 years old and still sound great...

I am wondering, should I stick with what I have, get a set of new speakers or plug my computer to my home stereo (Denon 1712 to Martin Logans)?

Thanks for the advice
 
You have Martin Logans and bought a recon? Can you return the card? The recon is better than onboard but not exactly worthy of a real stereo.

Is the Martin Logan stereo or 5.1?
 
i probably can return it, wanted something better than the onboard motherboard audio card...

right now just 2.1 with the center speaker...
 
I mean if you are happy with the Klipsch speakers keep them, As for the sound card i would go with something external.
 
If you are happy with your speakers than stick with them. If the home stereo is in the same area give it a try what do you have to lose, you already have the hardware.
From what i have read the recon cards are not that great, the newer line from creative gets better reviews etc.
 
i probably can return it, wanted something better than the onboard motherboard audio card...

right now just 2.1 with the center speaker...

I think left, right and center speakers is 3.0 sound. The .1 indicates a sub, FYI.
 
OP, if you are happy with your speakers then why change? If you're just wondering what better is out there, then you will have to go out and listen and compare things, or find dealers that offer "in home demos" or otherwise a "satisfaction guarantee" and good return policy. What model(s) are your Klipsch speakers?

Alternatively, for the home stereo idea, maybe. If it's in the same room and Martin Logans are placed reasonably well for you to hear them from your computer chair, or if you intend to create such a setup, then yes, I recommend the idea of hooking it up to your Denon receiver. That Denon is fairly good too because it includes Audyssey MultEQ XT, and not just the regular MultEQ. (Note: This is TWO steps above budget Onkyo units, which use the VERY low end and bad Audyssey 2EQ. Most other brands like Pioneer and Yamaha use proprietary systems. Audyssey MultEQ XT is better than all of those systems except for Anthem's ($$$) and Trinnov (only used in the Sherwood Newcastle R-972, aside from pro audio, but is by FAR the best EQ))

Personally I have my really good setup in my living room, and my computer goes through a mixer to a NAD T-761 hooked up to a DIY 10" sub and a pair of bookshelf speakers, all quality speakers but definitely below my living room setup in every way. But hey, I don't need the living room setup in my room. It wouldn't easily fit in here, and the speakers would not be placed well for my desk, and I just don't need the output of that system when I'm sitting 1 to 2 feet from all of my speakers. So don't bother using the Denon/MLs if it's a pain.

I think left, right and center speakers is 3.0 sound. The .1 indicates a sub, FYI.

Yep.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top