• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I get a new PSU?

Justintoxicated

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Apr 10, 2002
Messages
14,522
I have an old Thermaltake Truepower 1200 watt monster.
I will be upgrading from Q9450 to a Haswell soon. I guess my biggest concern will be the connectors matching up. I'm also interested in a cleaner look though, maybe something properly sleeved.

I'll be moving my current PC which is a Q9450 over to server duty, and may need another PSU temporarily for the data migration of WHSV1 to Windows Server Essentials (which is a C2D). Then again the old WHS server may end up as an upgrade for my HTPC which is running an Opteron 64. So I might need to update the opterons PSU as well so it will work with the C2D?

Sounds like I may need a one new PSU is my point?

summary

??? Haswell
1200 watt Q9450 Gaming Machine -> Home server.
400 or 500 watt C2D machine -> HTPC
Some older style PSU Opteron in HTPC -> Recycle Bin?
 
Last edited:
If your PSU was decently reviewed then keep it. Why would you waste money just to get a sleeved PSU? That's a horrible waste. People here care way too much about sleeved PSUs (especially the absolutely ridiculous "individually sleeved" PSUs which offer ZERO benefit over non-sleeved PSUs and only serve to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the amount of space your wires take up... SO STUPID). Save your money for stuff that actually matters. Unless you are very wealthy or your PSU isn't that reliable or it's too inefficient, spending money on another PSU is a bad idea, period.

If you need a second PSU, I recommend stuff made by Super Flower e.g. Rosewill Capstone, Kingwin LZP
 
If your PSU was decently reviewed then keep it. Why would you waste money just to get a sleeved PSU? That's a horrible waste. People here care way too much about sleeved PSUs (especially the absolutely ridiculous "individually sleeved" PSUs which offer ZERO benefit over non-sleeved PSUs and only serve to SIGNIFICANTLY increase the amount of space your wires take up... SO STUPID). Save your money for stuff that actually matters. Unless you are very wealthy or your PSU isn't that reliable or it's too inefficient, spending money on another PSU is a bad idea, period.

I might try to sleeve it msyelf :p it's going into a 900D water cooled rig so I don't want it too look too horrible and Thermaltake sleeving is pretty bad looking.

So you would suggest buying a new cheaper PSU? The problem with the server is that I have to physically build a new server to migrate the data, so I will temporarily need at least one additional PSU. I don't think that the older style used in my HTPC could be pulled for temporary use? I suppose the 1200 watt could b pull for temporary use but that could turn out to be a major hassle, and I would end up needing a new PSU for the C2D or Q450 server anyways ?

Also my PSU was rated good, but this was before all the efficiency ratings. I'd assume it is not even bronze by today's standards.
 
If it's 80plus then it will take a few years to pay off replacing it if you keep it on all the time. If you will seriously just be using a new supply temporarily then I would get something like a Corsair Builder series.

Sleeving your current PSU is a better idea than replacing it solely to get a sleeved PSU, but it's still a waste. How often do you really look at your PC's guts, and after a couple days, will you really still get pleasure from seeing sleeved wires? Or will it just seem "neat" for a day or two and then you'll go back to being indifferent? Sleeved wires do nothing aside from appearance, especially again the stupid individually sleeved wires which do nothing but increase the amount of space the wires take up. It won't improve airflow, and the individually sleeved wires may sliiiightly worsen airflow if anything. Not that appearance means absolutely nothing, but don't obsess over it.
 
Last edited:
If it's 80plus then it will take a few years to pay off replacing it if you keep it on all the time. If you will seriously just be using a new supply temporarily then I would get something like a Corsair Builder series.

Sleeving your current PSU is a better idea than replacing it solely to get a sleeved PSU, but it's still a waste. How often do you really look at your PC's guts, and after a couple days, will you really still get pleasure from seeing sleeved wires? Or will it just seem "neat" for a day or two and then you'll go back to being indifferent? Sleeved wires do nothing aside from appearance, especially again the stupid individually sleeved wires which do nothing but increase the amount of space the wires take up. It won't improve airflow, and the individually sleeved wires may sliiiightly worsen airflow if anything.

Well one reason I'm upgrading my current liquid cooled case is because it has no wire organization designed in it. Going for a clean look and adding wire management is definitely one of the benefits in a new case like the 900D. Airflow should not be a problem in either case.
 
Back
Top