• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Should I even fold on this old machine??

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,368
I have a Celeron 375 (overclocked 333) that I'm currently folding on. Is this machine even worth it? Will it turn in units too late or something like that? Thanks in advance.

Lyquist
 
You could do the timeless tinker work units and it won't matter how long it takes.
You might not feel that productive with that Celeron, but it will produce.
You could probably replace that MB and CPU with a Duron and MB for $50 and do a lot more.

Guess it just depends on extra $$$ for more speed... ;)
 
I would suggest running Timeless work units on it. I have a dual PII 266 machine that runs timeless on each processor and the system turns in about 100-120 points per week. It's not much by any means but better than nothing. Plus it's just nice to mess around with a dually.

 
At some point it becomes a cost per point argument based on how much power your willing to invest in keeping a slow machine running. Some of those older machines didn’t eat the kind of electricity these new 450 and 550 watt PSU’s do.

It’s one of those things you have to decide if it’s worth it to you ;)

Fold on
 
Folding with numerous old machines...
Increasing power consumption...
More resources used and pollution in producing power...
More cancer creating toxins in the atmosphere...
More cancer curing research leading to treatments and cures...

It cancels out in the end and produces the exact same result. ;) Cosnidering big folding stats is a pride thing, it's a toss up.

Kyoto Protocol, [H]ardness, Kyoto Protocol, [H]ardness... :rolleyes:
 
velusip said:
Folding with numerous old machines...
Increasing power consumption...
More resources used and pollution in producing power...
More cancer creating toxins in the atmosphere...
More cancer curing research leading to treatments and cures...
Actually, the older machines use less power than comparable new ones. And the enormous amount of toxins in them isn't going into a landfill if you're folding with them.
Toxins->landfill->rainwater->drinking water.

My view on the subject. If we're going to die anyways, we might as well fold in the meantime ;)
 
Remember that folding was really designed to use spare cycles.
So if the machine was going to be used for something (like a 5 year test to see how much it can fold) I'd say go for it.
I keep a laptop going 24/7 so I can connect to work.
I keep my dual 933 GW server running 24/7 because it's my main machine.
One son keeps his machine (I gave him) going 24/7 because it's his main machine.
The other son keeps his machine (I gave him) going 24/7 because it's his main machine.
My wife's machine (a 1Ghz Duron) run's 24/7 so she can work any time.
The new semipron 2400 (to replace my wife's machine) runs 24/7 because it's burning in.
So I convince myself that I only fold with spare cycles, so I've got about 12Ghz of spare cycles most of the day.
(semipron - half a$$ed porn)
 
unhappy_mage said:
And the enormous amount of toxins in them isn't going into a landfill if you're folding with them.

Very good point.
 
If you're just building basic folding boxes, you shouldn't need more than a 250W power supply. I'm talking integrated graphics, 256MB RAM, one hard drive. You could probably even make do with a 200W in most cases. Don't those Shuttle boxes come with relatively low wattage power supplies?
 
Back
Top