Should I buy Diablo 3?

It's my subjective opinion. Diablo 2 was all hand-drawn, intimate, mood setting art. Look at the buildings and landscape in act 2 for instance. It seems more effort was put forth. Diablo 3 seems like a bunch of tile pieces put together inside buildings rather than an artists handcraft. Also the 'toony' aspect of the characters and graphics don't lend themselves well to the dark ominous feel of the game in my opinion. That is subjective --- some may like Diablo 3 graphics better. The graphics look ripped out of warcraft 3 to me and the repetitive animations on the characters like the evil priests look like they could be 5 years or even a decade old. Basically, IMO, some of the atmosphere is lost on the cartoony graphics.

I'm in the middle of ACT2. In Diablo II or in Titan Quest by the middle of Act 2 I was hooked! Line and Sinker. I've played through Diablo II and Titan Quest both Dozens of times - spent hundreds if not thousands of hours on each of those games. Multiple play through on multiple characters and then multiple hard-core runs too! For such a big fan of the genre to walk away from a launch day LAN party of Diablo 3 saying meh --- We'll I hope I'm the only one ---- otherwise this game isn't the gem we've all hoped it was going to be!
Diablo 2 used randomly generated dungeons the same as D3. It might be your opinion that the artwork itself is better looking, but saying that D2 was handcrafted and D3 isn't is factually wrong. There are parts of both games that used handcrafted dungeons and everything is randomized. That's part of the appeal of Diablo. It's never quite the same experience twice.

Good post and I can understand where you're coming from. Although I am curious as to which games you find worthy?

I tend to stick to FPS or RTS games. My top games of all time are probably (in no particular order) Half-Life, STALKER:SoC, Team Fortress 2, Battlefield 2, and Dawn of War 2 (I acknowledge that Company of Heroes is "better", but I like 40K so I enjoyed it more). Clearly I'm not a huge RPG fan, but that doesn't mean I haven't played and enjoyed a fair chunk of them.

It is like a rerelease of the first two games without the charm? Same music, many of the enemies are the same --- I feel a lot of dejavu and its been 10 years since I played the last in the Diablo series.

That's how I felt watching gameplay videos and also how I felt about Starcraft 2 after ignoring my gut and buying it.

Server issues aside, the game is pretty damn fun and addicting. While the graphics and textures are not great, the amount of detail they put into everything else is unprecedented. Even if you aren't interested in PvP, auction house, or replaying the harder modes, you could do a lot worse for $60.

Ok fuck it I'm gonna grab a copy, I never play the first 2 but I like Baldur's Gate and Torchlight.

It's a lot of fun if you play with friends. The thing is, EVERY one of my friends is gettin it so it's real easy to pick up and game because there's always someone online with room in the party.

No don't buy it, you won't be able to fucking play it anyway, all you'll get is "The servers are too busy now" fucking bullshit.

I just now got done playing it for a bit. Never played the beta so this is my virgin run with this game. I had no trouble getting in the game or staying logged on. Started out a Monk, but after 2 levels decided I would change to a Barb and use some real weaponry!

I think it plays fine. It is smooth and fast, and the motion quality is there. I only got to level 4 but it seems like a good game. I mean I haven't found any reason to hate on it. Lots of exploration, lots of loot. Good voice acting and there seems to be a story as well. I Know it is early on, but I like the game. It is at least as fun as I was hoping it would be.

Did I miss something at the character screen, or is there a distinct lack of character creation? That is one feature that is lacking I think the game could use.

I just now got done playing it for a bit. Never played the beta so this is my virgin run with this game. I had no trouble getting in the game or staying logged on. Started out a Monk, but after 2 levels decided I would change to a Barb and use some real weaponry!

I think it plays fine. It is smooth and fast, and the motion quality is there. I only got to level 4 but it seems like a good game. I mean I haven't found any reason to hate on it. Lots of exploration, lots of loot. Good voice acting and there seems to be a story as well. I Know it is early on, but I like the game. It is at least as fun as I was hoping it would be.

Did I miss something at the character screen, or is there a distinct lack of character creation? That is one feature that is lacking I think the game could use.

only character creation choice is male or female

For those still on the fence. I just played it for a few hours with the wife and two of my brother in laws and we all had a blast. We only stopped because the wife and I gotta be up early for work tomorrow morning. I can't wait to continue our game tomorrow.

Not only that but your level level 60 barb will be the exact carbon copy same as the next, or can be in two seconds. Where's the fun in that?

It's all about the items :)

Where's the carrot?

Every item so far is just incrementally better than the last. In titan quest you'd often find a set item or unique that was significantly better than your current item but it would require you to be 2 or 3 levels higher than you currently are. In diablo 3 I don't think I have found a single drop yet that required a higher level than I was and every single item that I find seems a very incremental upgrade over the last. ie now I do 27.3 dps with my axe instead of 27.0 with my bow. Not to mention you can seemingly equip any item you want for the most part with no penalty because the animations don't change for your attack as a wizard whether I have a bow, an axe, a halberd or a wand. It doesn't matter as long as the weapon does .1 better it is better. hopefully as I progress this will change, but its what I noticed so far to level 22

Where's the carrot?

Every item so far is just incrementally better than the last. In titan quest you'd often find a set item or unique that was significantly better than your current item but it would require you to be 2 or 3 levels higher than you currently are. In diablo 3 I don't think I have found a single drop yet that required a higher level than I was and every single item that I find seems a very incremental upgrade over the last. ie now I do 27.3 dps with my axe instead of 27.0 with my bow. Not to mention you can seemingly equip any item you want for the most part with no penalty because the animations don't change for your attack as a wizard whether I have a bow, an axe, a halberd or a wand. It doesn't matter as long as the weapon does .1 better it is better. hopefully as I progress this will change, but its what I noticed so far to level 22

Well you mention level 60 in your previous post, then you compare itemization to low level stuff...

Itemization will blow up at 60. There are people there right now scrambling to get geared for inferno mode. It's actually quite daunting to me personally.

Yep, Diablo 2 didn't have an option for male/female.

Where's the carrot?

I was level 15 last night and just got done with Act 1 and I got invited to a game in Act 2 where the people were half way through act 2 (lvl 18-20) and I think I replaced every piece of gear I had with stuff that was significantly better. We are talking 17.1 DPS to like 24/27 DPS.

I spent the day playing diablo 3 at a launch day LAN party yesterday. I felt the experience was a bit of a let down. I liked Diablo 2 better and liked Titan Quest way better. I think they really messed up the formula on the character development in Diablo 3. How can you get attached to a character you have no stat control on, and worse, the character can be changed in 5 seconds to be any other equivalent class character... what's the point? Why can my wizard use a two handed axe as effectively as a wand and spell book? Why does the game have arguably worse graphics than D2 or Titan Quest so many long years after those releases? Why did they copy the level design and characters from the first and second games to the point of putting me off. IE. Act 1 is Crypts, Tristrum, woods, Deckard Cain, etc. Act 2 is sand/Desert, there is the crazy, seemingly out of place star level in the middle of act two etc. I actually groaned out loud and felt like quitting when our co-op team portaled to the star platform level. It is like a rerelease of the first two games without the charm? Same music, many of the enemies are the same --- I feel a lot of dejavu and its been 10 years since I played the last in the Diablo series. Truthfully I didn't like it much and if somebody told me I could never play it again after my launch day game experience - I wouldn't be upset.

don't blame blizzard blame the ton of fucktards that sit around derping defending all their bad decisions, you have nothing to gain blindly licking a corporations assholes ( what do expect to gain dickhead a money bonus no they are laughing at you in ivory towers sucking down the shareholders cock ), and in particular the one that has merged with activision, you know that company that makes those terrible cod games you whinge about in that BF3 thread that is infinity pages long

the game is a fat turd, its the bioshock to a system shock because people like you sat by defending it.

don't blame blizzard blame the ton of fucktards that sit around derping defending all their bad decisions, you have nothing to gain blindly licking a corporations assholes ( what do expect to gain dickhead a money bonus no they are laughing at you in ivory towers sucking down the shareholders cock ), and in particular the one that has merged with activision, you know that company that makes those terrible cod games you whinge about in that BF3 thread that is infinity pages long

the game is a fat turd, its the bioshock to a system shock because people like you sat by defending it.

Why is it a fat turd? Seriously I have yet to hear a relevant reason why the game is "awful".

Can't tell if you're insulting Bioshock, or System Shock. Hm.

QQ more

K9VAK.jpg

No don't buy it, you won't be able to fucking play it anyway, all you'll get is "The servers are too busy now" fucking bullshit.

Lol, I love people with this mentality. It is those people that have led me to finish most of the game in the first 2 days it was out. Sure it was annoying the first outage on the release day when they kept shifting how long it would be out for, but then it played flawlessly. After that they had a server down notice for an update. The outage was not long at all. Does it suck having to be down when playing SP? Sure, but not the end of the world.

The game itself is good. The story is pretty good and the graphics I think are good. The actual gameplay I think is fantastic. The hack n slash is fun, the dungeon delving is fun, the game gets progressively harder even on normal mode and they give you higher level of difficulties that give you more actual rewards. I like the skill, item and crafting system much better now. It is streamlined and yet still gives a lot of variety.

I installed and logged in last night around 9:15pm in Americas region and had no trouble at all. All my friends that had the game were in as well. I really enjoyed it. I'm a level 5 witch doctor - Shockakhan. Look me up to group!

I installed and logged in last night around 9:15pm in Americas region and had no trouble at all. All my friends that had the game were in as well. I really enjoyed it. I'm a level 5 witch doctor - Shockakhan. Look me up to group!

If you wish to group up, you need to post your FULL battletag. See this thread

I'm wrestling between creating a new account to buy diablo 3 for 20% cheaper trough a proxy or biting the bullet and pay the full euro price. Really blizzard? Geo-blocking in the internet age?

Textbook Blizzard fan reaction. Although, the post you're responding to is pretty... hyperbolic.

Not really a blizzard fanboy anymore, it was just the most appropriate reaction I could think of for a post containing that much butthurt. :p

so..which is the best class to farm/play with? Any OP class ?
From what i heard , monk is/ might be a notch above all the others..Is that right?

Anyone who said this game was too cartoony or childish feels stupid now after Act 3.

Anyone who said this game was too cartoony or childish feels stupid now after Act 3.

Agreed. I understand the cartoon look, but I do not see how it is a compliant. It is the equivalent to whining. I don't go into Applebees with friends and sit down and go "man I hate this place because the stuff on the walls, I don't even like hockey sticks, I am not going to eat here this place is just too sporty". No they would think I am a whiny bitch.

So far as far as "dark" goes in Diablo 3 you see heads flying off, limbs torn up, zombies, cultists, people hanging on walls in the background completely sliced open and torture chambers was in game events of people being killed.

Pretty fucking dark to me.

Plus you can always use the DarkD3 mod to make it more to your liking if the colors etc are a issue. Personally I leave it stock colors with just sharpening.

That's how I felt watching gameplay videos and also how I felt about Starcraft 2 after ignoring my gut and buying it.

Did you really want a complete redesign?

I am not defending blizzard here on a coop out, but I can't list many games I have ever played that had a complete redesign.

Ok I can list one and that was Mortal Kombat Deception with the RPG and Tetris mini game, both sucked by the way.

I know these franchises have not got a reboot in years, but with the balance issues you aren't going to see the gameplay change that much. It is always going to be more of the same gameplay wise, which is to be expected.

The real changes come in the form of tweaks and ease of use. Diablo 3 matchmaking system is so much better than D2 and the same could be said for SC2.

Agreed. I understand the cartoon look, but I do not see how it is a compliant. It is the equivalent to whining. I don't go into Applebees with friends and sit down and go "man I hate this place because the stuff on the walls, I don't even like hockey sticks, I am not going to eat here this place is just too sporty". No they would think I am a whiny bitch.

So far as far as "dark" goes in Diablo 3 you see heads flying off, limbs torn up, zombies, cultists, people hanging on walls in the background completely sliced open and torture chambers was in game events of people being killed.

Pretty fucking dark to me.

I died laughing when I read the part about the hockey sticks. LOL. I'll need to use that next time I go to Applebees.

Lol, I love people with this mentality. It is those people that have led me to finish most of the game in the first 2 days it was out. Sure it was annoying the first outage on the release day when they kept shifting how long it would be out for, but then it played flawlessly. After that they had a server down notice for an update. The outage was not long at all. Does it suck having to be down when playing SP? Sure, but not the end of the world.

I'm pissed because the ONLY chance I've had to play was days after the game launched and that's all I got, I couldn't even launch the fing game I paid for. I really wish I hadn't wasted my money on a pre-order. I still haven't had the time to try and play again. F blizzard they won't see another dime of my money. The last money they got from me was Diablo 2 anyway.. I know they won't miss it but I'll enjoy spending it on a game I can actually f'ing play.

Back