• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

should i be dissapointed?

carnag3

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 31, 2007
Messages
405
hey guys, i live in aus, so parts here are stupid expensive, anyway my dad goes to the US all the time and got me some parts form a microcentre, i want an x58 i7920 setup, but they were out of i7's, devastated i know. anyways this is what i ended up getting,

core i7 860
asus p7p55d Pro
8 gig dual channel ddr3 Corsair cl9 (i was suprised by the 9 and that they werent 8)

oh and i got a
120 gig OCZ vertex SSD

( i cant wait till he get back home, should be a good setup, i jsut cant help but feel dissapointed about the i7, not that its likely i will get dual video cards or really need tripple channel (will I :S? )

I game ALOT :), 24 inch monitor,
use a lot of adobe suite as I am a graphic designer,

all up it was $1070 I THINK with tax, so thats a hell of a lot cheaper than you would do it here, but yer, where exactly do we see bennifits with tripple channel ram,

also any thoughts on that ram, does cl really matter? it is 1600 speed by the way.

jsut excited but dissapointed at the same itme, stilla good upgrade from my sig rig?
 
I would have chosen a cheaper motherboard of a different make (I'm done with asus after all the trouble I've had with the p5e). But No reason to be dissappointes unless you planned on running sli/xfire or wanted an upgrade path to gulftown.

I live 40 miles from a microcenter and I'm struggling with this decision too.
 
Last edited:
yea id be dissapointed somewhat...for the money you spent you could have had the triple channel and even if you dont use it very often its nice knowing you have the fastest thing alive...an amd system would have been just as good and much more affordable and would game just as good as what you bought...
im considering an i7 system for myself for about 550.00 to upgrade my system...i personally would not even consider an i5 system with amd's options at the moment.
if i go intel it would be i7 no question about it. the price difference between i5 top of the line and i7 is the same..
the system your getting is for sure a fine system but if you had your sights in i7 and now have i5 i could understand you feeling somewhat dissapointed...
 
you are as close to i7/x58 as you can. i7/p55 will perform almost as well, although you upgrade options will be limited for cpu/gpu. you can still run sli or crossfire, i dont think we have filled up the bandwidth available on an 8 lane pcie 2.0 slot yet. and i would be pretty happy about that vertex.
 
Dude, you owe your old man a hell of a lot of trash taking outs, lawn mowing or Joey roundups whatever the hell kids do around the house in AU.

What you needed was a vid card upgrade.
 
Dude, you owe your old man a hell of a lot of trash taking outs, lawn mowing or Joey roundups whatever the hell kids do around the house in AU.

What you needed was a vid card upgrade.

I was thinking the same thing.
 
Ya I just got the same set up but with the EVGA P55 LE. I am very happy with it. Time to OC this thing.
 
You have an i7 on the way it just doesn't have tipple channel DDR and you will never know the difference unless you go benchmarking the ram and comparing it to an X58.

But keep in mind the 1156 i7 has features moved right on to the CPU that are still part of the motherboard on the 1366 i7.

So while for arguments sake the tipple channel of the 1366 chips may have more real world use. The odds are you would actually not benefit from tipple channel ram any more then you will from having the PCI-e on CPU like the i7 you own.
 
Thanks guys, no I'm stoked my dad did that, I was waiting for the next gen of graphic cards for that upgrade :) thanks for the opinion guys, I was aiming for 920 but like I said, no stock so there was nothing I could do, still wanted to take advantage of US prices and all..


And as for games I would hope supreme commander will see a boost considering my CPU is the limited.
 
I think you made a great choice especially considering the scaling turbo mode offers on P55 CPUs. Overall you have a great platform even compared to X58. With the newest bios build and latest version of Turbo V EVO you should be able to run our Auto Tuning and get about 3.7 to 3.8 out of your 860 without doing anything except hitting the start button in the Tuning process. We are additionally working on a new bios build and newer version of Auto Tuning that even scales higher. I have also tried clocking this board manually and have had no issues doing 20 / 200 and achieving 4.0GHz (depending on your cooling). I think you are going to be quite happy with the build all things considered.
 
Back
Top