Should I apply power to a damaged MB?

darkisz

Weaksauce
Greetings again, [H]'ers!

Been gone a while and just ordered parts for a budget gaming system. I purchased a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L from Newegg, and when I opened the box, and removed the documentaion so I could get a look at the MB, I noticed the Northbridge heatsink was askew. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a round capacitor rolling around loose on the MB. My best guess is that the mounting pins that hold the NBHS in place were never installed, since they are nowhere in the static bag or floating around on the MB. In shipping, the loose NBHS bumped a nearby capacitor and dislodged it. Oh noes! said I. Time for RMA.

Well, Newegg has asked me to confim that the MB does not work by hooking it up. What do you guys think of that idea? I'm a bit hesitant to connect a known working Powersupply, memory and monitor to an obviously damaged MB just to prove that it won't work. I sent Newegg a reply stating basically what I've said here, as well as a pic of the MB. I am still waiting on a reply.

gigabustmz1.jpg

:eek:
Why risk further damage? There is no point in powering up when clearly it will be in no working order if you try to do it. Good though that you sent them that image to back your explanation.

I have to say that I would agree on not trying to supply power to that thing, especially with a missing capacitor so close to the NB. I would say just try calling them back because the person who told you to try must have been on something. As with any customer service department it all depends on who you talk to so yeah just call back.

Don't, and say ya did. ;)

+1

The CS rep you talked to makes me want to call Newegg and ask them where they came up with the idea that applying power to something with a peice broken off is a good idea........

Thanks for the input, guys. One note, I haven't actualy talked to anyone about it yet, Newegg prefers to handle all their RMA stuff through e-mail. Still waiting on the reply.

/yawn

pfft power it on and risk the damage of your other components? Will they refund or replace those for you ASAP? I think not...

newegg doesnt charge for DOA products do they?

Back