Shots fired. EA says PC owners don't upgrade enough.

I'm sure there are other enterprising publishers willing to fill the void that EA is willing to leave open. The waters are not shark-infested for nothing. :D

What they are saying makes a good bit of sense. Laptops have been steadily taking over the PC market, and those aren't upgraded all that much because they can't be. Even on desktops most people aren't racing like made to upgrade constantly.

The market has really changed. Back when PC gaming was at it's best people weren't really upgrading to play games. People were upgrading because you had to upgrade your PC for a new operating system, the new version of office, adobe, whatever.

That's LONG gone. Baring rare exceptions tossing more hardware isn't going to make a difference for 99% of what people do. There's very little reason to upgrade unless you're in CAD or video editing. In fact the main "upgrades" most consumers are going for is thinner/lighter/better battery life which doesn't exactly translate into more raw power for gaming.

Most of the people we deal with just sit with what they have till something smaller comes out, then they buy that. Which makes a lot of sense for most consumers.

Aren't there other companies making good soccer games for PC anyways? At least there's that, there hasn't been a Madden on PC since 08! Now that's sad.

I would be willing to bet 90% of the people whining in this thread don't own one copy of FIFA on their PC.

I agree with EA on this one. If the user base doesn't have the power to support the technology, then you don't make a failing investment.

The EA hating is getting a little childish. Welcome to the new world of gaming. It is going to be similar to any other major entertainment industry. There are going to be large corporations that are going to make business decisions. You're going to have to learn to deal with it. If you don't want to deal with it, then go play indie games on your android phone - problem solved.

I would be willing to bet 90% of the people whining in this thread don't own one copy of FIFA on their PC.

I agree with EA on this one. If the user base doesn't have the power to support the technology, then you don't make a failing investment.

The EA hating is getting a little childish. Welcome to the new world of gaming. It is going to be similar to any other major entertainment industry. There are going to be large corporations that are going to make business decisions. You're going to have to learn to deal with it. If you don't want to deal with it, then go play indie games on your android phone - problem solved.

I would be willing to bet 90% of the people "whining" in this thread don't have a PC that can't run FIFA.

Fifa is not the target audience of USA, i am the one who first stated that but what about the millions who play fifa outside the USA? the world is soo much bigger then USA, you simply need to open your eyes a bit more.

If you read my last sentence, I stated that countries outside of the USA pay a lot more for hardware than we do. I didn't have a narrow POV about it.
If a card costs 20-40% more than the USD price, it's much harder for those countries to upgrade, and they will stick to what they have.
EA knows this and have decided to keep the same engine for FIFA 14 on the PC.

We can name all the cards we want for cheap, but I've sold to users in other countries and they've regularly expressed how difficult it is to get high-end hardware.
If they can get it, the cost is very high. There's more countries than Europe too.

If you read my last sentence, I stated that countries outside of the USA pay a lot more for hardware than we do. I didn't have a narrow POV about it.
If a card costs 20-40% more than the USD price, it's much harder for those countries to upgrade, and they will stick to what they have.
EA knows this and have decided to keep the same engine for FIFA 14 on the PC.

We can name all the cards we want for cheap, but I've sold to users in other countries and they've regularly expressed how difficult it is to get high-end hardware.
If they can get it, the cost is very high. There's more countries than Europe too.

Europe is a continent not a country.

second of all, UK pay only slightly more than you for hardware. Your prices dont include tax, ours do. We inquire a higher salary and cost of living then some parts of USA so if you put all those variables inside a basket, We in the UK do not spend as much as you think we do.

At the end of the day, we do not know the full stats of "how many fifa pc players" have inferior hardware.

All i can tell you is from my experience of playing fifa 12 and 13 online, 9/10 people i have come across and played, all had rigs capable of playing BF3.

PC gaming in europe is striving. many have jumped onboard to PC gaming. You just need to browse many gaming forums to see this and see many games like BF3 sell millions, as close as selling decent numbers on consoles. thats amazing. That shows that PC gaming is striving as more and more people are taking note on the ease of use and the quality of the games are on the PC.

Aren't there other companies making good soccer games for PC anyways? At least there's that, there hasn't been a Madden on PC since 08! Now that's sad.

Yes Konami are about to release a new Engine for the PC for there new soccer game.

pes+2014+allianz+arena.jpg

1013678_10151483097634327_945213251_n.jpg

too bad only 10 people have PC's capable of playing it :D

Sorry BUD but in my world EA doesn't have the right to tell me my PC is inferior to a console. I find you telling people to "deal" with what EA is trying to say to be childish.

Sorry BUD but in my world EA doesn't have the right to tell me my PC is inferior to a console. I find you telling people to "deal" with what EA is trying to say to be childish.
I find the fact that you didn't read the article even more childish. Cause if you had, you would've understood the context of the article and realized they weren't talking about you. Unless you play FIFA on the PC. Then I stand/sit/type corrected.

I would be willing to bet 90% of the people "whining" in this thread don't have a PC that can't run FIFA.

I'd be willing to bet 90% of the whiners/ragers dont' play sports games in general on their PC. And no, capture the flag is not a sport. :D

EA is 100% correct on this one. Football is very popular and even though I don't give a shit about it, lots of people I know watch matches and play FIFA/PES games. Truth is, most of them play only that and similar games on old machines and laptops.

No need to blame EA for this. That specific crowd generally doesn't care much about games, gaming and computers.

I haven't upgraded in years. Check my specs in my sig. I run all modern games on High/some medium. Whats the incentive?

It's comical that EA should fire shots at PC owners over the average pc lacking gaming performance.

The same GPU manufacturers that sell GPU's to console manufacturers are the same GPU manufacturers that spent the last decade flooding the pc market with graphics cards which are too weak to pull a sick whore off a piss pot. EA should be bitching at AMD and NVidia instead.

PC gaming NHL fans went through this same issue in ~2006ish. EA released NHL 07 with a new next-gen engine for Xbox360, with the PS2/Xbox version being previous-gen.

NHL 08 released on Xbox360/PS3 with the new engine, while the PS2 and PC version shared the last-gen engine.

NHL 09 was the same thing. This was the last NHL game to be released on the PS2 and the PC.

It's funny that EA thinks that it's gamers that are the problem. The thing is, if a game comes out that's absolutely EPIC enough to warrant an upgrade, gamers have proven time and time again that they WILL do it.

Think about Oblivion. Know what I did as soon as it got near launch for Oblivion in 2006? I spent $3,000 on a brand new top of the line (at that time) computer. No regrets whatsoever.

When it comes to PC gaming and having a generation defining (hardware generation) game, then it's proven that the whole Field of Dreams "If you build it, they will come" concept will be borne out time and time again.

If you build a game worthy of people upgrading their systems, they will be motivated to do just that.

You got me beat. Oblivion only cost me about $1100. Bought an AGP dual Opteron mainboard at the wrong time & decided I needed to upgrade my vid card, so I picked up a Supermicro H8DC8 and a GeForce 7900GTX.

After reading through this thread (particularly dgz's comments) and looking at what EA said, I don't think you can really compare FIFA and Oblivion. All they have in common is being PC games. FIFA is more like The Sims for guys. I dated a couple of women who played The Sims. They just used a run of the mill consumer laptop. A present day equivalent would be an i3 using the integrated graphics. If the customer population is basically casual gamers like it is for The Sims it'll be a couple years before the new machines potential customers are buying will be good enough to reasonably run a PS4 or XBone title.

It's funny that EA thinks that it's gamers that are the problem. The thing is, if a game comes out that's absolutely EPIC enough to warrant an upgrade, gamers have proven time and time again that they WILL do it.

This is a FIFA game. This isn't Crysis or BF4 or Metro. Fuckin' FIFA.

That's Soccer.

Who plays Soccer games.

EVERYONE EXCEPT AMERICANS (for the most part).

Little kids in Columbia are packing into internet Cafe's because they can't afford PC's at home. Those machines aren't anything [H] worthy at all. But hey, if FIFA plays, they're happy. Same all over Brazil, the poorest shitholes in Eastern Europe, all over South America.

Fuck man some of you people are dense. It's a goddamn soccer game.

I sort of see their point. If 90% of their customers are playing on an i5 with integrated graphics (in contrast to something like BF3, where I'd guess that most people are running a quad core with a discreet GPU), why would they bother releasing it if said engine required a high end CPU/GPU?

I'm actually pretty surprised that they still offer it on PC considering sports games generally don't do very well on it.

I'm guessing an i5 would be a big upgrade to a lot of the people that want to play this. FIFA isn't big in the US. It is big in other countries, many of which computer hardware is more expensive and income is less.

Yup look at the Steam survey to really find out how much low end crap people play on. Quite surprising...

Thing is a outside of games a 4 or 5 year old core 2 system can still run everything fine. People haven't had a good reason to upgrade. I was running a 4 year old core 2 quad. The only reason I replaced it with an i7 was the hardware was failing.

I'm more boggled by the fact that people actually play FIFA...lmao.

And I'm still blown away at the number of people that line up every year for the latest Madden.... which is the same as the previous year's game but with update rosters o_O

And I'm still blown away at the number of people that line up every year for the latest Madden.... which is the same as the previous year's game but with update rosters o_O

EA does shutdown the multiplayer servers for older versions.

Agreed with others here. Most people are just using Integrated video, and while there have been good improvements in that area recently, we're still talking about performance that is slower than a 5-year old midrange card like a 4850, etc.

Man, some people are so damn insecure.

EA is saying that the FIFA demographic doesn't upgrade their computers very much. That's it. They didn't call your mom fat. They didn't say your PC couldn't run Doom3. They were stating a simple, and probably true, fact.

Car analogy time: Toyota says most of their economy car buyers don't perform standard maintenance. Ferrari owner's board goes nuts: What, I perform ALL the maintenance myself, AHEAD of schedule! How DARE you Toyota! Rabble rabble rabble.

:rolleyes:

Man, some people are so damn insecure.

EA is saying that the FIFA demographic doesn't upgrade their computers very much. That's it. They didn't call your mom fat. They didn't say your PC couldn't run Doom3. They were stating a simple, and probably true, fact.

Car analogy time: Toyota says most of their economy car buyers don't perform standard maintenance. Ferrari owner's board goes nuts: What, I perform ALL the maintenance myself, AHEAD of schedule! How DARE you Toyota! Rabble rabble rabble.

:rolleyes:

That's not a good analogy since toyota doesn't make ferraris.

And it's more about EA's general stance, first simcity and now fifa... what's next?

If we want to go with the car example the similarities would be how manufacturers do not necessarily release all product line ups in every market. For example Toyota sells models that are available in Japan but no the US due to the difference between those two demographics.

EA is also releasing games using Frostbite 3 such as BF4 (which will be the first mainstream PC game going 64 bit only). Games released on this engine are specifically being promoted to enthusiasts who do upgrade. For example they are cross promoting with AMD and targeting people who are upgrading to choose AMD GPUs.

EA is a software business -- a rather shitty one at that, but the fact remains.

I guess coming up with GOOD software that scales well is out of the question. (that would require them to actually work ya know)

If all your customers are using low end PC's to play your games, do the best you can with what you have, and shut the fuck up about it. Insulting the people that have the money (and the hardware) to play your games is no way to do business.

I'm really sad though -- I won't get to enjoy a soccer match on my PC now, I was really looking forward to getting nickle and dimed for every player or accessory, and I was REALLY looking forward to it being always online cloud based, and totally a cluster fuck of DRM.

GTX Titan/780 over 680-> 25% increase in performance for a premium around $250-$400
Haswell over IB -> a mere 5%-10% increase in general performance

Why is the point of upgrading again?

40pct or more actually in the 780 case when oc to oc compared.
Sorry guys, I'm all for the hate EA circlejerk, but this time they are right. Firstly, they aren't talking about us, so getting all angry and offended is fucking retarded. These types of sports games on PC appeal overwhelmingly to a very casual crowd probably rocking a laptop with Intel 3000 or 4000 series video.

Even if you expand out and look at a broader section of gamers (Steam hardware survey) there are a ton of people still using shitty integrated video cards to play the occasional PC game while they game primarily on their consoles.

Quoted for truth.

Wow, this thread=retarded

They are talking about Latin America internet cafes and Europe.
This has nothing to do with PC enthusiasts......
The same internet cafes that make LOL and DOTA 2 the most played game ever or whatever it is. They don't upgrade. They buy FIFA on PS3/360.

Hence
their audience =/= PC upgrading

Back