Shopping for a new mobo..S775

• Thread starter Deleted member 12106
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12106

I recently bought a Q9550, the mobo I currently harbor in my desktop is coming to the end of its useful life. It is an Asus P5NE-SLI.

I bought this board many years ago, and it is not a board for high fsb. Stock it runs great.

I am looking for something that I can push my cpu a little more.

I am looking at the following 2 boards, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...mpareItemList=N82E16813128359,N82E16813128358

I am not set on needing an SLI board, just a solid board I can push my CPU on.

I'd like to stick with something on the DDR2 side as I do not have the money to upgrade ram at the same time.

What is the general consensus on either one of these boards?

Anything else I should check out?

Honestly, it is probably a coin toss for either one.

The UD3P is the board for the system in my sig.

It is a very nice board for overclocking Quads. Max FSB i have been able to get with my
Q6600 is 490. The 45nm ones might be able to handle a higher fsb, not sure.

A more safe bet, which is what I run my FSB at is 480.

So 480x8.5 = 4.08Ghz.

The UD3P is the board for the system in my sig.

It is a very nice board for overclocking Quads. Max FSB i have been able to get with my
Q6600 is 490. The 45nm ones might be able to handle a higher fsb, not sure.

A more safe bet, which is what I run my FSB at is 480.

So 480x8.5 = 4.08Ghz.

Cool.

I got a Q6600 that I can't seem to push more then 200mhz out of it. Ya win some, ya loose some.

Not in my current mobo, not in my roomates mobo.

I have tried more volts, it just won't go:(

What chipset is on yours and your roomates motherboards?

Pretty much anything before the Intel P35 chipset sucks for overclocking Quads.

Even the old 975x based boards could only do about 333fsb with a Quad.

i650 in mine, p35 in his.

i650 in mine, p35 in his.

Mine is an Asus P5NE-SLI, 680W PC Power & Colling PSU.

His is Gigabyte P35-DS3L and some POS rosewill PSU.

My old C2D would do 3.4 in this mobo, but now I got a quad and I want at least that:)

Got the new motherboard.

Got a Q9550.

I am happier:)

Capture2.PNG

Gigabyte's EP45-UD3P is an excellent motherboard. Very good choice.

I second the above post. I had a UD3P and really liked it. Gigabyte hit a home run with that.

Nice, I just grabbed a EP43-UD3L as my P5B-E blew up after 3 yrs. I didnt spring for the EP45 as I didnt see much reason to for the price difference, but both seem to be great boards.

Great board, nice features, runs at a lower vcore for my e6600. Still cant get it super stable at 3.2 (only 2.8), so I guess it is probably my e6600 (had the same issue on the P5B-E). Make sure to test with something like linx in addition to OCCT...I can get a 3.2 OC stable for quite a long time on OCCT/Prime but not in linx :(

Only difference is that the UD3R does not have xfire. Not a big factor for me since I only have one video card anyway.

Nice, I just grabbed a EP43-UD3L as my P5B-E blew up after 3 yrs. I didnt spring for the EP45 as I didnt see much reason to for the price difference, but both seem to be great boards.

Great board, nice features, runs at a lower vcore for my e6600. Still cant get it super stable at 3.2 (only 2.8), so I guess it is probably my e6600 (had the same issue on the P5B-E). Make sure to test with something like linx in addition to OCCT...I can get a 3.2 OC stable for quite a long time on OCCT/Prime but not in linx :(

Link to the linx?

I had a e6600 I was able to get to 3,4 stable on air, on the asus board.

my buddies q6600 is a g0 but can't oc for shit, we can only get and extra 200mhz out of it.

I am liking this motherboard though. Wish I had better cooling, I would try for more.

How hot can these chips get safely? If I run the linepack test in occt, the temp jumps to 63-65c under load, I stop the test, and it drops down to 38-42 in a sec.

How hot can these chips get safely? If I run the linepack test in occt, the temp jumps to 63-65c under load, I stop the test, and it drops down to 38-42 in a sec.

Usually most try to keep them under 60C, but under linx I have dipped over 60C before without much issue. On my 2.8 OC it only goes to about 55C though. Spec is 60.1C or less, 80-85C is shutdown threshold.

linx (form of linpack) gets higher temps than OCCT or Prime tests.

Thats the one.

I'll have to figure something out with dissipating the heat better then push for more. I am almost wondering if there is not enough clamping force. If I push down on the zalman, temps drop 10 degrees when running the linpack in occt.

Could also be that it is not completely flat and/or the thermal paste application.

I took it apart and re-applied thermal goop.

Temps appear to be lower. I also turned down the vcore. Linx doesn't appear to get the cpu as warm as the occt linpack tests.

I did run linx for 10hrs, also have done some gaming on it. I am pretty happy.

DFI UT P45 have DDR2 and DDR3 models.

DFI UT X48 have DDR2 and DDR3 models.

Recommend either for optimum performance mother boards.

Last edited:

Motherboard is already bought, installed, and made an owner of it very happy.

Never been a DFI fan personally, though they do have some decent deals.

If you are not going to add more than one video card then the UD3R is your board.

Usually most try to keep them under 60C, but under linx I have dipped over 60C before without much issue. On my 2.8 OC it only goes to about 55C though. Spec is 60.1C or less, 80-85C is shutdown threshold.

linx (form of linpack) gets higher temps than OCCT or Prime tests.

You can go above 60C. The chips don't throttle or shutdown until they hit 95-105C depending on the TJmax.

You can go above 60C. The chips don't throttle or shutdown until they hit 95-105C depending on the TJmax.

Its not good to run them that high all the time though, at least safely.

If you want longevity out of your chip it is recognized to keep them at or under around 60C. I have gotten mine over 60C on some OCes and stress testing with linx, but it is not good for daily use....at least that is what most agree upon.

I am sure some run them on the hotter side of things, it is really up to you. I have always heard to try and keep C2D chips under 60-65C though. The target was under 60C back when they first came out and everyone was OCing E6300s, E6400s, E6600s, and E6700s like crazy.

If you want longevity out of your chip it is recognized to keep them at or under around 60C.
Recognized by whom? The fact is that there is no real significance to the 60C number any more, and modern Intel CPUs can be run at much higher temperatures without risking harm. My Q9550 generally runs in the 70s and has been doing so almost 24/7 for about a year without any ill effects. There's a reason Tjmax is set at 100C and not at 60C.

I think that was a function of being able to turn the voltages up REALLY high on the old Conroes. I remember going up to 1.5v on the vcore. With the die shrinks, it's dangerous and almost unnecessary to raise the voltages a lot.

I think that was a function of being able to turn the voltages up REALLY high on the old Conroes. I remember going up to 1.5v on the vcore. With the die shrinks, it's dangerous and almost unnecessary to raise the voltages a lot.
Conroes had different voltage tolerances due to being manufactured on a different process. That really doesn't have much to do with temperature. Temps above 60C aren't a problem with 65nm Core 2 CPUs either.

Conroes had different voltage tolerances due to being manufactured on a different process. That really doesn't have much to do with temperature. Temps above 60C aren't a problem with 65nm Core 2 CPUs either.

60C... are you using a butterknife for a heatsink?

I've never seen temps that high, yet.:eek:

But maybe once I get a smaller case, it would get close (nekkid -> case made an instant 10C jump).

Back