Shipping Damage FTW!

I'm going to go ahead and call BS and not just because I've seen worse boxes delivered to my house by UPS, but because I worked as a package handler for FedEx for many years. I've seen far worse...

And especially with something like that where you don't know for sure if anything inside is broke it's just easier to deliver it and then deal with the claim later if it is indeed broken inside.

If nothing is broken inside (more often not) we simply place it in a new box and deliver.

We just had something delivered even worse. It was a big box, about 3'+ long and almost 2'wide. Very light, but the tape wasn't holding the box together anymore. I looked at it, and though damnit, my fiance is going to be pissed her clothes all fell out on shipment. I bring it into our place and not only was the box basically open, it took a slight shake and the inch of tape holding on for dear life finally came undone, but this package wasn't even for our unit number or address!!!! I didn't sign for the package so if I didn't go find the UPS guy, I could have kept the package and no one would know the difference. UPS sucks is what I got from that.

If nothing is broken inside (more often not) we simply place it in a new box and deliver.

And in the process of doing that you:

First and foremost you likely delayed the package
Run the risk of losing any additional contents out of the box when it's opened (whether accidental or not, the less QA persons and package handlers touching boxes the better)
Run the risk of QA breaking contents of the box (it happens especially if they're opening boxes)
Run the risk the packing slip is missing anyway and you won't even know if something is missing or broken

Pretty much all of these mean you've wasted time and money.... And you really didn't solve the problem if it was indeed broken anyway.

In my opinion the best thing I can think to do is if it's crushed beyond recognition to put the entire unopened package in a bigger uncrushed box along with a note that says to inspect the package immediately for damages along with information for how the customer can make a claim if anything is out of order... Perhaps if there was a sticker or something the driver could just slap on there at the time of delivery this could be made quicker.

That said I've had pretty good luck with all the carriers lately and I usually get a half a dozen shipments a week from various vendors.

UPS has had it out for us ever since they had to deliver 9 Dell monitors and pick up 7 Dell monitors (long story...bad RMA experience involving a pair of 22" LCDs and repeated stupidity by CS Reps) then they had to deliver another 5 large boxes a few weeks later when we ordered some furniture.

Before those incidents we had zero problems with UPS at our address. After those incidents? 90% of deliveries have some sort of box damage. Considering filing a complaint against our driver for it too.

UPS (see above), FedEx (major damage to several monitors), USPS (destroyed a Lian Li computer tower in transit, several packages stolen during transit), no difference. Each and every one of them is full of people who pretty much don't give a shit about doing their jobs correctly.

This story is no different. Someone didn't care to do their job, and we get a picture of a destroyed box to talk about.

I see this and then we still here about people laughing about how Amazon over packs some stuff in triple boxing.

UPS strikes again?

I surprised UPS doesn't employ an air cannon to launch the packages from the truck to your front door. You know like the t-shirt launchers but on a larger scale.

UPS has had it out for us ever since they had to deliver 9 Dell monitors and pick up 7 Dell monitors (long story...bad RMA experience involving a pair of 22" LCDs and repeated stupidity by CS Reps) then they had to deliver another 5 large boxes a few weeks later when we ordered some furniture

You'd think they'd be happy about that. The more stuff you get delivered, the more job security for them...

Maybe you just got a new driver, who is less conscientious?

UPS strikes again?

I surprised UPS doesn't employ an air cannon to launch the packages from the truck to your front door. You know like the t-shirt launchers but on a larger scale.

I've heard they load their trailers like that. :p

Back