Shipping Damage FTW!

It got "inspected" by the TSA "Screening Hammer" they use to "inspect all luggage and boxes.

You'd think they would instruct the driver not to deliver it if it's that beaten up, and instead have a customer care representative contact the recipient telling them about the damage and what they are doing to replace it...

I wonder what a driver would say if you actually answered the door and asked them about a box that looked like that?

Probably "Dude, I don't give a shit."

The delivery companies still deliver stuff that is damaged like that to avoid having an insurance claim on it. I once had a UPS employee try to convince me to sign for a server we had shipped to the office in spite of the fact the box was a foot shorter and wider than it was when it got shipped. We could hear loose pieces rattling inside of the box. The guy kept trying to refuse to leave without a signature. Eventually he left and UPS tried to avoid paying out the insurance claim on it. It took our lawyer contacting their legal department with photo's and our statements before they finally conceded they owed us compensation.

I actually do this to all my packages BEFORE they ship, because lightning doesn't strike twice and it then protects whatever is inside!

The delivery companies still deliver stuff that is damaged like that to avoid having an insurance claim on it. I once had a UPS employee try to convince me to sign for a server we had shipped to the office in spite of the fact the box was a foot shorter and wider than it was when it got shipped. We could hear loose pieces rattling inside of the box. The guy kept trying to refuse to leave without a signature. Eventually he left and UPS tried to avoid paying out the insurance claim on it. It took our lawyer contacting their legal department with photo's and our statements before they finally conceded they owed us compensation.

There isn't anything wrong with accepting damaged items, so long as you mark the discrepancies on the delivery receipt and keep a copy.

I actually do this to all my packages BEFORE they ship, because lightning doesn't strike twice and it then protects whatever is inside!

I laughed at this...that is [H]ard!!!

I also wonder what delivery men think about this shit too...I mean, really, I'd just be embarrassed!

There isn't anything wrong with accepting damaged items, so long as you mark the discrepancies on the delivery receipt and keep a copy.

That was part of the issue. The driver was refusing to admit the item was damaged and didn't want us marking it as such. He was trying to explain away the damage to the pallet (forklift tracks on the top of the wood that was crushed at one corner) and the packaging (box obviously smashed or dropped) by saying it settled during shipping. He was giving Baghdad Bob a run for his morning that day.

Heh, I ordered some Logitech speakers from Amazon once and the FEDEX guy that delivered it was really slick. The box had a gash on the side I could not see, so I got the box, signed and he RAN away because as soon as I saw the gash I opened the door and said "HEY!", but he was already downstairs from the 4th floor. I opened the box to see that the styrofoam was cut nearly through to the subwoofer. Tested it out and it worked fine -- it's actually still working to this day nearly 3 years now.

Still Amazon, a box for a pair of socks, yet another order with a breakable item gets a slightly padded envelope!

lololol

Well nothing's breakable in that box at least.

Had this kind of thing happen on every delivery service. One package in particular that was shipped via USPS arrived 3 weeks late and looked like it went to the backwaters of Afghanistan and back. The only thing holding the box together was the copious amounts of packing tape around the box. :rolleyes:

Fortunately it was a shipment of Tim's Cascade potato chips and they were pretty much unharmed inside. If you've ever had those you'd know why. ;)

Zarathustra[H];1038618779 said:
You'd think they would instruct the driver not to deliver it if it's that beaten up, and instead have a customer care representative contact the recipient telling them about the damage and what they are doing to replace it...

That would imply UPS gives a shit, which they don't.

Lucky it was even delivered, and not "Delivered and signed in person" with nothing to show and a driver with new socks or a new eBay auction. From my experience:
- If Swedish mail delivered a package like that, they would say nothing, you'd have to work hard to get even a "Oops", and by hard work I mean by having good contacts with media and politicians and police and people on the other side of the law.
- If Royal Mail (GREAT Britain) even handled a package like that, they would fly high staff over to come to your door and apologize in person complete with a gift basket. They would also off whoever was responsible for the deal.

USPS gave me a box like this. The guy that dropped it off said and i quote. "i didnt do it, it was already like that when i got it"

ROFL i said i hope it works. It did so i was like whatever.

I laughed at this...that is [H]ard!!!

I also wonder what delivery men think about this shit too...I mean, really, I'd just be embarrassed!

I work at UPS. Most drivers I know would not accept that box on their truck, and would send it to overgoods (our internal damaged package claim service). I sure as hell wouldn't take that to anyone's door.

- If Royal Mail (GREAT Britain) even handled a package like that, they would fly high staff over to come to your door and apologize in person complete with a gift basket. They would also off whoever was responsible for the deal.

This is the level of responsibility I expect from my shipping carrier. Maybe I should move to GB :p.

I work at UPS. Most drivers I know would not accept that box on their truck, and would send it to overgoods (our internal damaged package claim service). I sure as hell wouldn't take that to anyone's door.

I wonder who does the last leg of the delivery process for Amazon's shipping.

They don't typically have UPS or FedEx or USPS labels on them, and they are delivered at different times.

Do they have their own fleet? I've never seen Amazon logo emblazoned trucks driving around and I've never been at home when the Amazon boxes are delivered...

- If Swedish mail delivered a package like that, they would say nothing, you'd have to work hard to get even a "Oops", and by hard work I mean by having good contacts with media and politicians and police and people on the other side of the law.

That's because in Sweden there is no accountability for anything.

If your doctor cripples you through medical malpractice you can't even really sue him. You just get a standard $500 equivalent settlement and are told to go on disability...

Having lived in Sweden for 16 years, there are many things I like about that country, but the complete and total lack of accountability at all levels of private and public society - to me - completely spoils it.

You seem to be few and far in between. Most UPS guys I've met really don't give two shits about this, if he ever gave one.

Though we sometimes get a pretty familiar face that seems nice, and I haven't seen anything bad yet from him.

Zarathustra[H];1038619721 said:

They don't typically have UPS or FedEx or USPS labels on them, and they are delivered at different times.

Do they have their own fleet? I've never seen Amazon logo emblazoned trucks driving around and I've never been at home when the Amazon boxes are delivered...

UPS has a large contract with Amazon, and we deliver millions of packages a year for them. It's not an exclusive deal, and I'm sure other carriers also deliver for them as well. I do think UPS does the majority of the shipping for Amazon however.

You seem to be few and far in between. Most UPS guys I've met really don't give two shits about this, if he ever gave one.

Though we sometimes get a pretty familiar face that seems nice, and I haven't seen anything bad yet from him.

It's a Union job, so you get the normal pitfalls of having workers knowing that it's near impossible to be fired. Some of us tend to have pride in whatever we do, delivering packages included.

I wish I could see what the vanity light fixture I ordered from Amazon looked like but UPS has refused to deliver the last two shipments since they managled them in their machines. I am trying one last time to get one delivered through UPS's grinders. Never had this problem before with Amazon and UPS.

I think what is equally annoying is how often they leave packages in totally odd places without ever ringing the doorbell. I was leaving for class one morning, around 9AM, and heard a crunch under my car as I was backing out of the garage. Apparently, UPS had been by in the wee hours and left a box of books in front of the garage door and, given that I'm not used to having piles of books in my way, I ran over them. Thankfully they were fine but I was still pissed. It's particularly annoying given they usually leave packages behind the massive potted plants on the front stoop and had never put them behind the garage doors.

Had this kind of thing happen on every delivery service. One package in particular that was shipped via USPS arrived 3 weeks late and looked like it went to the backwaters of Afghanistan and back. The only thing holding the box together was the copious amounts of packing tape around the box. :rolleyes:

Fortunately it was a shipment of Tim's Cascade potato chips and they were pretty much unharmed inside. If you've ever had those you'd know why. ;)

Best chips ever made, I am fortunate enough to live in WA where I can run to the store and pick up as many bags as I wish haha :D. But if I got a package like that I would be really upset.

I'm going to go ahead and call BS and not just because I've seen worse boxes delivered to my house by UPS, but because I worked as a package handler for FedEx for many years. I've seen far worse...

And especially with something like that where you don't know for sure if anything inside is broke it's just easier to deliver it and then deal with the claim later if it is indeed broken inside.

Zarathustra[H];1038619721 said:

Depends on your location, they do have amazon local in certain areas. They also use: UPS, FedEx, UPS, Lasership, OnTrac, USPS, among other carriers to get their delivers done. Usually you can tell by the tracking info they give you.

Zarathustra[H];1038619734 said:
That's because in Sweden there is no accountability for anything.

If your doctor cripples you through medical malpractice you can't even really sue him. You just get a standard $500 equivalent settlement and are told to go on disability...

Having lived in Sweden for 16 years, there are many things I like about that country, but the complete and total lack of accountability at all levels of private and public society - to me - completely spoils it.

I can confirm this, I've fought for over twelve years to have my really bad case of fibromyalgia/fibrositis diagnosed and to have myself written off as unable to work.

I've also had far too many packages and letters lost in the mail, many from straight up thieving postal delivery personnel. Had to pay fines for bills that magically never appeared in the mail, had books and CDs stolen by mailmen, all to find out that the long arm of the law isn't.

This package shouldn't even have been picked up and flat out delivered. Make sure the contents are okay, slap a note on it, deliver it in a bag personally, and done. That's what I wish had happened when some package with shampoo and makeup products apparently melted and poured into a cabinet restoration materials box I ordered.

Didn't mean to list UPS twice, can't edit sadly, still don't understand why that rule is here.

Zarathustra[H];1038618779 said:

I doubt the drivers or the shipper really care. They're just responsible for delivery. Someone probably fucked up and pushed the package under the proverbial rug, hoping no one would notice he/she fucked up.

Not to mention the carrier really isn't responsible to damage to packaging, only to it's contents. Without opening up the box and inspecting the contents there really is no way to be sure. And as a customer in 99% of the cases, I'd rather them not open it up to inspect unless they have a good reason to.

I hope not. If my driver showed up with something looking like that I'd just stare at him incredulously while he held out his pad for a signature.

looks like mailman was trying to jam the package into the mailbox.

after kicking it a few times, looks like he managed to fit it all in.

Back