Shipping costs for pc case seem high

arnemetis

2[H]4U
I'm talking with someone who was looking to unload their old Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01, however they live across the country. I actually have this case and the original box from when I bought mine in 08, so I went and measured it. 27" x 26" x 12", and the shipping label from then said 40lbs. Other sources list the weight as 31lb, but maybe that doesn't include all the accessories and box weight. Anyway looking at USPS, UPS, and FedEx all quote around $100 to ship from California ( I used 90001 as a placeholder) to Massachusetts (01420.) Am I doing something wrong, or is shipping large heavy cases just not possible for non-businesses?

you are correct. thats why you see cases for sale on the forum usually are for local pickup. i shipped an imac to california from yhe east coast and cost roughly $70+ via fedex

Yeah ground shipping IS the $100 option, anything faster is $200-$400! Hell i wouldn't mind 1 month shipping if it saved me some cost. Damn that sucks, this case is out of production and there's nothing comparable out there for 12 5.25 bays. I might consider eating this cost...

I'm talking with someone who was looking to unload their old Cooler Master Stacker STC-T01, however they live across the country. I actually have this case and the original box from when I bought mine in 08, so I went and measured it. 27" x 26" x 12", and the shipping label from then said 40lbs. Other sources list the weight as 31lb, but maybe that doesn't include all the accessories and box weight. Anyway looking at USPS, UPS, and FedEx all quote around $100 to ship from California ( I used 90001 as a placeholder) to Massachusetts (01420.) Am I doing something wrong, or is shipping large heavy cases just not possible for non-businesses?

Takes a large box.. double large box if you want it in good condition. It's just a very very very expensive ship for a large and somewhat fragile thing. $100? Might be more like $80, but still, it's going to cost.

Businesses don't get a "magic" break on shipping btw, unless they're using their own trucks (that were going your direction anyhow).

Sold and shipped my Corsair 900D (42lb) using Fedex home delivery from California to North Carolina back in February for $51.13, but there is a surcharge for mileage I believe so add about $10 to the total.

Shipping anything that large and weighs that much that distance is going to cost a lot. $100 sounds about right.

Yeah I decided to tell the guy I couldn't do it. Kind of a waste but I can't spent that kind of money right now on something that would just be nice to have.

Shipping these days is not just based on weight but also the size of the package. They use the size and weight and then get like a total billable weight.
You can try it with the get quote online for like FedEx - use two different sized boxes and same weight zip codes etc and you will be surprised how much difference the size of the box will do.

Shipping these days is not just based on weight but also the size of the package. They use the size and weight and then get like a total billable weight.
You can try it with the get quote online for like FedEx - use two different sized boxes and same weight zip codes etc and you will be surprised how much difference the size of the box will do.
Yeah that's what killed it. The case itself is just so large, even if a smaller box is used it doesn't matter. Just measured mine at 23-1/4" x 22-1/2" x 9". Doing a box 24x24x10 with 31lb got it down to $83, that of course doesn't really give much room to protect it. Oh well.

Describe "big"? Even so, it's not as big as you think it is (pretty sure). Feel free to share amount of savings. :)
I didn't use the word "think". ;)

The old company I worked for had a FedEx deal and got half off.

I can only imagine what kind of bulk plans companies like Amazon get.

I didn't use the word "think". ;)

The old company I worked for had a FedEx deal and got half off.

I understand, but complete lack of detail, right? Name the company, the size, the amount of shipping they did on a monthly basis. Put this into perspective and remember the audience and the original question (please).

I understand, but complete lack of detail, right? Name the company, the size, the amount of shipping they did on a monthly basis. Put this into perspective and remember the audience and the original question (please).
I'm not naming the company.... They shipped hundreds of packages everyday. Mostly overnight.

my dad used to work as a logistics coordinator for a certain big box company. i know the shipping shit he saw was close to 80% of what we mortals pay.

Again, not all that common, maybe less than 5-10% of all businesses.
In all seriousness what do you really know? You don't know a damn thing judging by your posts and all you're doing is acting like you do. My original post said "big businesses" which by definition is not common. Stop picking at my posts and get lost unless you are going to contribute actual useful information.

Last edited:
My UPS discount shows $20 for shipping for that size box, 40lbs, insured for $250 from Bristol CT to East 75th Street, Florence-Graham, CA, 90001

Shipping Charges:
67.95 USD

A discount has been applied to the Daily rates for this shipment
Negotiated Charges:
20.39 USD

Subtotal Shipping Charges:
20.39 USD
Total Charges:
20.39 USD

Again, not all that common, maybe less than 5-10% of all businesses.

It doesn't even have to be a big company. Government offices all get roughly 20-30% discounts on FedEx shipping. Private law firms can get up to 50% in some areas especially if you work out of a large corporate building where many other offices operate.

My UPS discount shows $20 for shipping for that size box, 40lbs, insured for $250 from Bristol CT to East 75th Street, Florence-Graham, CA, 90001

Shipping Charges:
67.95 USD

A discount has been applied to the Daily rates for this shipment
Negotiated Charges:
20.39 USD

Subtotal Shipping Charges:
20.39 USD
Total Charges:
20.39 USD
That's a hell of a discount, too bad. If I could even get that same $47 off the $100 I would have probably taken it, but alas no dice for us plebs.

my dad used to work as a logistics coordinator for a certain big box company. i know the shipping shit he saw was close to 80% of what we mortals pay.
One of the biggest things people don't understand is the logistics of home delivery. Businesses get bigger discounts because someone is there every business day so no return trips are needed. On top of that they often also have a pickup so there's another revenue point. If the driver goes to a home and nobody is there, it's a wasted trip and cost, plus there is rarely a pickup so they don't get extra business revenue from it.

Back