Shell Shocker: Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD753LJ 750GB $69.99/FS

ARGH... I just bought this used yesterday for $65 (still a good price for it)

ooh shiny, that is a nice deal IMO. spinpoint series are really great from my experience, quiet and run VERY cool..

hmmm, I might get this drive to install Windows 7 beta along with some more games :)

Doh, bought two refurb 750 Seagates from Geeks last week. This is a much better deal. Oh well.

I have this exact drive.. think I paid around $105 for it 5-6 months back and its great. I'm very tempted to buy another for this price.

I'm having trouble deciding between two of these drives or two of the Western Digital 640gb Black drives. I wonder how much faster the WD6401AALS's are than the Samsung F1 750gb drives with their 2x320gb platters vs 3x250gb?

I'm staying away from HDD's from NewEgg. Their shipping is getting worse with every passing minute and 3 of the last 4 HDD's I've purchased from them have been DOA and I had to return/RMA them.

I don't understand what the problem is with how Newegg ships hard drives. Every drive I've received is wrapped in bubblewrap and in a box of peanuts. I haven't had a DOA drive from them..

I don't understand what the problem is with how Newegg ships hard drives. Every drive I've received is wrapped in bubblewrap and in a box of peanuts. I haven't had a DOA drive from them..

Not lately... they've been shipping them with no wrapping at all, just tossed inside of a box with the other stuff and some paper on top... it's ridiculous.

i had one come last week that worked fine but a couple weeks ago my friend got one that the sata interface was smashed and one of the corners was flattened. hit or miss i guess

Hmm, would go perfect in that empty SATA port on the media server... Just ran out of space the other day.

Just a note: ZipZoomFly has it for 74.99, and I've gotten them to price match Newegg on more than one occasion. Plus, they never disappoint when packing hard drives.

Devil your right Neweggs HDD shipping is screwed recently. Last three times RMA/damage. I even sent pics in. :(

Shell Shocker of a deal? no, good deal? probably, not really special though... you can snag 1.5tb drives for 100 bucks

Shell Shocker of a deal? no, good deal? probably, not really special though... you can snag 1.5tb drives for 100 bucks
Yea but two things

The seagate 1.5tb drives are unreliable, and that $100 is a sale price, you really have to keep your eyes peeled to catch one that cheap.

The last three hard-drives I order from newegg were packed very badly.

-Bubble wrap however the bottom of the hdd hardly had any bubble wrap.
-The hard-drive is set at the bottom of the box where the bottom of the hard-drive has no protection what-so-ever from the wrath of UPS.
-Hard-drives would arrive DOA with horrible clicking noise.

First time I did not mind, the second time I was getting annoyed but the third time was too much for me. The cost and time of shipping them back is quite frustrating.

Actually there was a fourth time which was packed the same but died after a month and half. Had to RMA it to Seagate and get a refurb back.

Some of us are just not as lucky as you :(.

Not lately... they've been shipping them with no wrapping at all, just tossed inside of a box with the other stuff and some paper on top... it's ridiculous.

Got a 1TB drive 2 640gb drives from them last week in two different shipments and both had bubble wrap and peanuts. I've probably received 8-12 drives from them over the years and never received it with just paper in the box.

Has anyone ordered hard drives from Amazon? What kind of packaging do they use for drives?

My mother ordered a hard drive from Amazon just before Christmas and it came with a piece of pre-formed foam on each end which is supposed to suspend it inside the box. The problem was that one end of the drive had come out of the foam and was touching the edge of the box. I saw that the plastic around the sata connector was damaged and sure enough, the drive was DOA.

This was NOT from a Amazon reseller. Direct from Amazon itself.

I'll take my chances with Newegg shipping for hard drives over Amazon.

do they still have some bad drives in this series?
seems like a really good price..

Ive got 10 of these in a RAID 6 setup right now and have had no problems *knock on drywall* thus far (all came from newegg). Im debating picking up 2 more at this price.

bought one of these for $90 a while back...got another one when it was $75...almost tempted to buy a 3rd!

raid 0 on these would be BLAZING.

these are awesome friggin drives. if i only had the $$

Whenever I order a HD from newegg, they come with these two thingy's that go on each side of the drive and hold it inside a box, and its bubble wrapped as well... You all scare me. >.<

Heh I know not to read too many newegg reviews, but every one is either 5 Eggs or 1 Egg, massive failure rates? I'm tempted but I'm not wanting to pull my hair out

Back