Sheer frustration with my file server... Looking for options

coolrunnings

Limp Gawd
After fighting with my file server's rebooting problem (daily) with Stop 0x00000024 errors in NTFS.SYS plus other random lockups, I'm fed up. All the drives SMART info reads that they are fine. Chkdsk /r picks up no errors. Memory passes multiple passes of memtest. I'm considering building an entirely new file server. Within a modest budget, what type of computer would you build as a file server. I've already got 5 SATA 3G 320gb Seagate drives to use in it. For the rest, I'm all ears. Please include the power supply, case, motherboard, processor, RAM, video card, RAID controller, etc. that you would recommend. The server is used for streaming disk images using Drive Snapshot from up to 5 computers at once as well as a file server for copying individual files in large numbers over a gigabit ethernet connection.

you didn't say what cpu and chipset stress tests you did. try prime95?

Passes Prime95 and CPU burn (both run with 2 instances, one per core). Any others you can recommend? I'm all ears.

What kind of PSU are you using? That was the problem I was having with my file server! i was dropping one of the drives on the same port on my raid 3 array and data corruption. And getting noises from my hard drive that sounded like they were not getting enough power. I swapped out the PSU and all of my problems were solved-runs great! Went from a Antec TruPowerII 550w to a Corsair HX620 PSU( a really quiet/powerful unit).Using 7 SATA drives/one DVD drive/4 tuners/hardware raid card and a 6600gtoc running 1gb ddr/3.4ghz NW.

Back