Sharpness, LCD Plasma DLP

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
May 29, 2010
Messages
1,295
If LCD is 100% and DLP is 0%, where does plasma fall for (still image) sharpness/clarity?

I've owned LCD and DLP. The DLP is terribly fuzzy, and the LCD has Motion blurring.
 
If your DLP was fuzzy it needed to be focused or otherwise adjusted. The picture on my DLP has great clarity. And DLP single chip projection has perfect convergence. Even LCD and Plasma lack this, do to the slight offset of the pixels.

Having said that, I would expect the better LCD and Plasma models to be sharper. You'd need to compare specific models between them though...
 
I have a Samsung HL-S6767W rear projection DLP TV. After proper setup and adjustment (e.g., shutting off all of the so called picture enhancements) it has a nice clear picture.

If you're looking for a flat panel TV, the discontinued Pioneer Kuro remains the high point to date. For new sets, I'd first check out Panasonic plasma...
 
I'm talking about TVs, not projectors... . . . the TV isn't sharp.

Again something was probably wrong with whatever TV you owned , the sets when calibrated correctly are just as sharp as anything else.

Plasma is very sharp though in terms of its clarity. And plasma balances the best of all worlds , contrast , color and the biggest advantage pixel motion speed. A new 3D plasma is better in its class/price range than anything you'll find on an LCD.

From the sound of it plasma will be exactly what you're looking for. My advice on brand , sick with Panasonic .. they have the best motion handling I've seen. 3D versions have the best of any of the series due to the nature of having faster pixel motion = more convincing 3D.

The downside of plasmas is the burn-in period (first 200+ hours) has to be handled with extreme care not to leave any kind of state bright image for even a slightly long period of time. And they are power hungry , depending on the size they can easily be more than 3x an LCD of comparable size (Samsung leads in this field , its newer plasmas are far better with energy conservation). But once you pass the initial aging period plasmas are a fantastic investment and new panels will last a LONG time (100,000 hours before the brightness cuts in half) and easily dwarfs the cost of a DLP requiring lamp replacement every 3000+ hours.
 
Last edited:
Again something was probably wrong with whatever TV you owned , the sets when calibrated correctly are just as sharp as anything else.

Plasma is very sharp though in terms of its clarity. And plasma balances the best of all worlds , contrast , color and the biggest advantage pixel motion speed. A new 3D plasma is better in its class/price range than anything you'll find on an LCD.

From the sound of it plasma will be exactly what you're looking for. My advice on brand , sick with Panasonic .. they have the best motion handling I've seen. 3D versions have the best of any of the series due to the nature of having faster pixel motion = more convincing 3D.

The downside of plasmas is the burn-in period (first 200+ hours) has to be handled with extreme care not to leave any kind of state bright image for even a slightly long period of time. And they are power hungry , depending on the size they can easily be more than 3x an LCD of comparable size (Samsung leads in this field , its newer plasmas are far better with energy conservation). But once you pass the initial aging period plasmas are a fantastic investment and new panels will last a LONG time (100,000 hours before the brightness cuts in half) and easily dwarfs the cost of a DLP requiring lamp replacement every 3000+ hours.

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to thank Godmachine for his comment. I've been on the fence about whether to purchase a DLP or a Plasma to act as both a PC display and for movie watching. Simple matter is I can't AFFORD to replace the lamp every 3000 hours (even though I really would prefer to, in order to avoid the gradual loss in image quality present with both Plasma and LCD), and Godmachine reminded me of this with his comparison.
 
Back
Top