Sharing wireless over ethernet

Kido1986

[H]ard|Gawd
Ok, here's the deal. I have my laptop getting wireless from a long distance (well, I will when I get my cantenna). My 360 is at my laptop and its too far for the 360 wireless adapter to reach. I want to have my laptop receive internet over wireless, and share it via switch or crossover cable with my 360. What do I need to set to make this work? Ive tried similar before and never got it to work.

Cliffnotes for the lazy :p
Have wifi inet on laptop and want to share over ethernet to other device

Do a bridge connection on your laptop -- You're going to bridge your wireless adapter and your ethernet adapter.

However -- Your ISP (in this case, Wireless providor) may not let you have more than one device on at the same time. Therefore in this case, I'd share the Wireless adapter using Windows ICS (Windows Internet Connection Sharing). Basically it will turn your laptop into a simple NAT enabled router.

If I turn on ICS then I need to hardmap IP settings for my laptop and my Xbox right? What would be the right DNS entries for that? The IP of my laptop's wireless card?

If I turn on ICS then I need to hardmap IP settings for my laptop and my Xbox right? What would be the right DNS entries for that? The IP of my laptop's wireless card?

Nope, it will RE-IP your ethernet and enable DHCP service on your XP machine. So you won't have to do anything on the Xbox since it will use your Laptop as a gateway.

Alright, thanks for the info. Now I just have to wait for my Cantenna to get here so I can have internet in my trailor (live outside of the office I work in and the wifi is ~30ft short.

Back