Sharing Outlook contacts

cancersticks

Limp Gawd
I have a client that came to me with a request recently: they want the ability to share contacts and calendars in Outlook (2003) and to have them update automatically. However, they do not have, or want, an Exchange Server nor do they want to switch over to a hosted Exchange account (I already suggested that).

I see a ton of programs out there that say they will do this, but wanted to know if anyone here had experience with any of them or could recommend me one. Cost is a bit of an issue, and would like to keep cost per client under $75-100.

Thanks in advance!

I don't remember the name of it (I know that helps) however I can say I did work with an app like this for a small office that I did some consulting for, and it worked like sh!t. Never up to date, problems determining who was the master, etc. Pretty much a giant waste of time/money/effort. Regardless of which one you pick I would be prepared for headaches.

i had a client with almost the same exact request a few years ago...

i finally convinced them to use sunbird with webdav for the calendars... there have been a few problems with them over the past couple of years....

you really can't beat a good exchange setup, as much as it bothers me to say

you really can't beat a good exchange setup, as much as it bothers me to say
Agreed!

One of the challenges of bing a consultant is helping your customer realize what is best. Sometimes their opinions of things aren't grounded in fact. An Exchange setup would be the best way to go. I would suggest finding out why they are against it and try to address those items.

For another option, I have just signed up one of my customers for a Google Apps account. It has these features built in for free. Unfortunately, I don't have a experience based opinion on the product yet.

For another option, I have just signed up one of my customers for a Google Apps account. It has these features built in for free. Unfortunately, I don't have a experience based opinion on the product yet.

I just had this thought as well, it could provide a good/inexpensive option for you

If they have a Windows 2003 server in the office, you can use Sharepoint, which is free and can do all of the above

I don't personally have experience with the google hosted mail but I've heard wonderful things about the calendar support at least.

Give it a try with your own domain for a week or something and see how it goes.

I appreciate the replies that I have received; some of them I would and will use for other clients.

However, this one specifically wants to stay with Outlook and does not have the budget for an Exchange server. I'm constrained by their level of comfort (with regards to switching programs, hosting, etc) and budget.
They do not have a Win 2003 server currently; this is one of the later steps I plan on taking with them. For now, their biggest concern is sharing contacts in Outlook 2003.

If no budget yet...can always move them to an online hosted Exchange partner....such as Intermedia.

Back