Shadows and X1900XTX

Flow

Limp Gawd
Hi guys,

I play BF 2 and NFS:MW since yesterday, and im having these lazy shadows. Tried not looking at it but it just bothers me.

Is this a known problem? Driver i use are 6.2 official.
:confused:

I have the same issues with my 1900xt. It's especially noticeable in NFSMW. Using cat 6.2's also...

I dont have NFS, but that problem in BF2 is a game problem, not a driver problem. It happens on NV cards, as well as ATi's. It annoys the heck out of me, but I cant do anything about it. SLI GTX's here, and ugly stair-step shadows, ugh.

looking at the bf2 i'm not sure where the problem is, is there suppose to be the character shadow there?

i guess i'm not sure what a lazy shadow is..

the other one not sure about either..

Its not the best screen shot to show the problem. What the problem is, a straight edge, has a "stair-step" shadow. Its jaggie, and not straight. Look just above the health bar on the bottom left of the BF2 shot. See how its jaggie? Its not supposed to be.

I get the jaggy shadows as well on my X800XT. This is a major issue that's been around for a few months.

Made Fable look like crap. Same thing happens in NFS Most Wanted.

This is with shadows at the highest settings.

Game looks great otherwise.

bf2 shadows have always been like that for me on my x850xt and now x1900xtx. I think its just how bf2 does its shadows. Until someone can prove otherwise.

dee-vee said:
bf2 shadows have always been like that for me on my x850xt and now x1900xtx. I think its just how bf2 does its shadows. Until someone can prove otherwise.
I get the same thing in Fable and Need For Speed Most Wanted. Happens in FarCry too.

Look at her shadow. Highest possible settings on my machine running at 1280x960.

Battle for Middle earth 2 demo. same probs.

But I think all of what you see is game related.

I know I first witnessed this with Splinter Cell 2 and it was a known issue.

From ATI's knowledge base:

Battlefield 2: Blocky shadows on dynamic and moving objects

The information in this article applies to the following configuration(s):
Battlefield 2
Radeon X800 and X850 Series
During online game play, you may experience blocky shadows on dynamic and moving objects. This issue does not occur on static objects, such as trees.

ATI Engineering is currently working with EA and DICE on a solution. Any updates will be published when they become available.

Circuitbreaker8 said:
These are all EA games <.<
EA published Battlefield 2, DICE is the company that makes the game. 2 different things.

I don't play BF2, but in NFS:MW the shadows look the same on my X1900XT as they did on my 7800GTX. I'm using Cat 6.2 beta, can't remember what nV drivers I was using.

when i had my 6800 GT video card

I also experience the same thing with everything set on high

Back