SGX

ZodaEX

Supreme [H]ardness
I recently upgraded my ageing Sandy Bridge CPU to an i7 Rocket Lake, but I was dissapointed to discover that Intel removed the SGX chip that allows UHD Blu-ray playback.

Is the removal of SGX going to be a permanent thing going forward with Intel, or do you know if they plan to eventually bring it back on Alder Lake?
I'm kicking myself now for waiting so long to upgrade. Part of the reason I upgraded was to finally have 4k UHD capability on my desktop.

A little Googling says it's probably permanent and not coming back with Alder Lake. A number of exploits have come out in the last few years to get around SGX and steal protected data and Intel hasn't been able to fix all of them. It can also be used to hide a rootkit: https://www.zdnet.com/article/researchers-hide-malware-in-intel-sgx-enclaves/ Sounds like it got axed for security reasons. Kind of ironic for a security feature.

I can't believe that I missed the SGX enabled CPUs by just one year.
I've wanted 4k UHD playback on my computer for years and years and now it looks like it's a feature that I'm never going to have.
Of course AMD doesn't offer it either because AMD and all they care about these days is "m0ar cores". 😔

Well crap. I guess I wasted money on a new 4K Blu-ray drive for nothing when I built this rig. I wanted to have 4K Blu-ray playback on my computer as well. It was also the only reason I was looking to get a 4K monitor. Now, I feel really bad about the computer I built for my brother. The only reason I went Intel was so he could play 4K blu-ray disks on his 4K TV in his bedroom that he has his computer plugged into. I could had gotten him the faster Ryzen 5800X instead of the 11700K.

I had a 4k compatible HTPC, but I needed a discrete GPU to be able to stream movies over Discord during the lockdown. So, that broke the 4k compatibility since I'm not using the Intel Integrated Graphics. I've just been ripping my 4k discs, it's so much easier anyways (though I had to jump through hoops to be able to do that too).

Back