SGI Indigo 2 "Extreme"

Zarathustra[H]

Extremely [H]
So I just picked up one of these for $30...

indigo2.jpg

(Not mine pictured)

200Mhz MIPS 4400 CPU
256megs of ram.

Runs IRIX.

I figured it would be a fun toy.

Does anyone know if these desktop boxes can be stood on their sides like a tower without having issues? I know with some older computers this was an issue, and I know almost nothing about SGI boxes.

Thanks,
Matt

I'm a Nekochan member.

Your rig will need some extras like a display cable that will turn it to a standard HD-15 connector.

Keyboard and mouse ports are standard PS/2 signaling.

Your COM ports use a mini DIN connector you will need an adapter cable for (common)

The speed of your machine isn't the greatest, but it's enough to have fun with. Your graphics are maxed for the system. The next step woould be the IMPACT boards, but you would have to have an IMPACT-ready power supply and midplane board for that.

I have four Indigo2s. All IMPACT machines. Two are SolidIMPACT, one is MaximumIMPACT. The fourth has no IMPACT graphics in it but has the hardware to support it. It's got an Extreme in it ATM.

Three of the machines are R10000. Two at 195MHz and one at 175. The one with the Extreme boardset has an R4600/250 or something like that.

Even a SolidIMPACT would be about twice as fast for 3D as your Extreme.

If you go from the Extreme to an IMPACT board of any kind, it's a big enough change that you need to reinstall IRIX.

To answer your last question, yes, they can be on their sides. The normal way is with feet that clip to the bottom (the drive access door is at the top when used in tower form). The feet keep the system raised so that the fan at the bottom can move air from the card cage. This is especially important with IMPACT systems since those boards put off a lot of heat. My MaxImpact system is like a mini-furnace. I often find my cat laying in front of the system with the warm breeze blowing over him.

MisterDNA said:
I'm a Nekochan member.

Your rig will need some extras like a display cable that will turn it to a standard HD-15 connector.

Keyboard and mouse ports are standard PS/2 signaling.

Your COM ports use a mini DIN connector you will need an adapter cable for (common)

The speed of your machine isn't the greatest, but it's enough to have fun with. Your graphics are maxed for the system. The next step woould be the IMPACT boards, but you would have to have an IMPACT-ready power supply and midplane board for that.

I have four Indigo2s. All IMPACT machines. Two are SolidIMPACT, one is MaximumIMPACT. The fourth has no IMPACT graphics in it but has the hardware to support it. It's got an Extreme in it ATM.

Three of the machines are R10000. Two at 195MHz and one at 175. The one with the Extreme boardset has an R4600/250 or something like that.

Even a SolidIMPACT would be about twice as fast for 3D as your Extreme.

If you go from the Extreme to an IMPACT board of any kind, it's a big enough change that you need to reinstall IRIX.

To answer your last question, yes, they can be on their sides. The normal way is with feet that clip to the bottom (the drive access door is at the top when used in tower form). The feet keep the system raised so that the fan at the bottom can move air from the card cage. This is especially important with IMPACT systems since those boards put off a lot of heat. My MaxImpact system is like a mini-furnace. I often find my cat laying in front of the system with the warm breeze blowing over him.

Thank you for the info. I already got a 13W3 to HD15 converter :)

You know if it is possible to upgrade a R4400 machine to an R10k machine?

I've never tried. I'm not sure. I think you have to switch the mobo out for that. And have a certain power supply in the machine for the higher drain. You should get a membership at Nekochan. There's a lot of good folk there.

Some of them are even running the heavy metal; Onyx and Challenge racks the size of refrigerators. There are a few multi-rack Origin systems among the group, too.

MisterDNA said:
I've never tried. I'm not sure. I think you have to switch the mobo out for that. And have a certain power supply in the machine for the higher drain. You should get a membership at Nekochan. There's a lot of good folk there.

Some of them are even running the heavy metal; Onyx and Challenge racks the size of refrigerators. There are a few multi-rack Origin systems among the group, too.

Thanks!

I came across Nekochan when I was googling for info about my newly purchased Indigo2. They seem to have the best repository of modern software for the MIPS architecture.

As it stands I don't even know what I'm going to use the SGI for. I bought it just because I remember drooling over thheir reeal time rendering capabilities back in 1995-96 some time :p

Back