sg05 mini itx nightmare! please help.

If I recall correctly, I had this problem when I tried to load Windows XP (Original version, no Service Pack) on a computer that had a new recent ECS motherboard. I used a Windows XP Service Pack 2 install CD (from work) and it worked like a champ.
 
ECS...

anyhow. This is about Windows 7.

But you're definately correct, just some wierd thing, I guess.
I slipstreamed a custom XP SP2 and later SP3 install CD to cut down on update time (post install).
 
Last edited:
If I recall correctly, I had this problem when I tried to load Windows XP (Original version, no Service Pack) on a computer that had a new recent ECS motherboard. I used a Windows XP Service Pack 2 install CD (from work) and it worked like a champ.

my computer would crash in the bios though. so i dont think the os has anything to do with it.
also with the 750w psu it works fine.

i really hope its not the mobo.
 
heh... I know!

I sidetracked too much there :).

I thought you were going to RMA the mobo, too? <-- or are there shipping costs?
 
i did not rma the mobo because it would cost more.
however i have a new issue, or at least i think i do.

i just got in my new optical drive, and it has a strange power conector next to the sata cable.

it looks like this:
sataoptical.jpg


will it draw power from the sata or do i have to get some sort of adapter to fit it into the sgo5 case?!

this is so lame.
i have two other slim optical drives i got from laptops and they require an adaptor, but the only one i have goes to ide, and this mobo has no ide. garrrr.
 
You need a slimsline sata adapter, look for it in the sg05 thread, thats why i got the silverstone drives, they include the cable one less issue to thinkg about.
 
yeah... sorry.

I was rather ticked at all these wierd connectors for the slim drives (ODD/HDD), but eventually I just ate the price, and lived with it.

Why could they not use standard? I don't know.

Did you get your case back? Or is it still in the RMA process?
 
got the case back!
it works!

it was the psu.

thanks so much for your help.
now its on to figureing out why my ethernet port on my mobo doesnt work... ahhh, the fun of building your own machine never ends.
 
Good the hear! :cool:

Now, is it enabled in the BIOS? Some of them have pretty wierd (Award BIOS... that's you...) options...
 
update guys.
everything is working wonderfully. windows 7 is great, and the machine is fast and runs games well.

i have 2 minor issues, but i would hardly call them problems.

first, my new processor which is intel quad core 2.6ghz q9400 is only registering as a 4.6 on windows rating system. my duel core amd scored higher then that. what gives?

the second issue is that on some games lower resolutions apear boxed in and smaller on the screen with a black border around them. i did some googleing to figure it out, and people seem to say it happens on CRT monitors, but i dont have one of those so i dont know whats up.

but besides that its all gravy. thanks so much for your help.
 
1: the WEI # is nearly useless. Real world gaming performance and HTPC capabilities matter far more. The WEI is just a pretty number, nothing more. It also deliberatey caps the number depending on the CPU detected.

2: When at different resolutions, just press the 'auto' button on your monitor. Most CRT have them. Nearly all LCDs have them. It will autofit the screen appropriately.

Good luck!
 
Back
Top