SFX power supplies?

edward78

Limp Gawd
Where do you find then? The case has one that comes with it, but incase I ever need to replace it I am asking.

You can search for SFX PSUs on newegg. There is not much in the way of options currently though.

If you want a decent quality SFX PSU, look for these:

Silverstone 300W (made by FSP, 22A +12v, one PCIe)
Silverstone 450W (made by FSP, some issues but Silverstone will warranty, highest +12A of any SFX, two PCIe)
FSP 300W (22A +12v, one PCIe)
FSP 350W (noisy 60mm fan, often sold as Sparkle, same 22A +12v as 300W)
Seasonic 300W (protruding fan so won't fit in all cases, 22A +12v)
Seasonic 350W (60mm fan but reasonably quiet, 26A +12v)

AFAIK nothing else is worth buying if you want high +12v power with decent quality.

Just asking if it ever needs replacing, as far as PCIe connectors & all that, they all have that right?

The FSP 300 from newegg does not have a PCIE connector. I recently bought one and opened it up. Out of the 2 pads on the PSU pcb, the 4 pin cpu power is connected to 12v2 and all the others are wired to 12v1. Even if you used a molex to pcie adapter, you would be powering the drives, motherboard and videocard from 1 rail while the 4 pin cpu gets a rail to itself. Quite an imbalance.

It doesn't work anymore after I put it back together (my first time out of dozens). IMO, its junk that is badly soldered together. Sloppy construction and blobs of solder everywhere. Go for a Seasonic model.

The FSP 300 from newegg does not have a PCIE connector. I recently bought one and opened it up. Out of the 2 pads on the PSU pcb, the 4 pin cpu power is connected to 12v2 and all the others are wired to 12v1. Even if you used a molex to pcie adapter, you would be powering the drives, motherboard and videocard from 1 rail while the 4 pin cpu gets a rail to itself. Quite an imbalance.

It doesn't work anymore after I put it back together (my first time out of dozens). IMO, its junk that is badly soldered together. Sloppy construction and blobs of solder everywhere. Go for a Seasonic model.

So the PSU in the case here http://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-S...Q1C8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315143148&sr=8-1 is not a good one? This is not the one in that case is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256063

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You are right. Looks as if their own versions don't come with the PCIe.

I also see 80Plus Bronze 400W and 450W on their site (but AFAIK only Silverstone sells their 450W), but they have a disturbing trend of not putting the combined +12v. Also irritating that they are now calling these "micro ATX" instead of "SFX."

http://www.fspgroupusa.com/rank-by-series-micro-atx-series/c/106_218_320.html

Hmmm, well on new egg, it says in reviews for the case I first picked has sides that pop in like the top of a snapple cap & a tiny power button, so that looks like a no. Can ITX boards connect to ATX supplies?

If you really want a SFX12V FSP model, the 450 watt has 2x pcie and the 400 watt has 1.

ITX boards can use regular atx power supplies just fine. The only caveat is if your case doesn't support full sized psus or if you're using a cramped case and could use all the extra space for routing cables etc. What I want is a modular 400 watt 80 plus gold with a fan. The fanless X400 from seasonic will probably cook inside a tiny case in the summer plus a lot of small cases require the psu fan as an exhaust.

Back