• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SFF web server build advice

2GB will be enough. Depending on your workload, more may considerably help performance, particularly if your database is larger than your RAM.
 
No, Amazon has the Silverstone for $99 shipped (at least for Prime).
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0025VKQ60/ref=ord_cart_shr?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

so in the end still 5 bucks more. Man if you really want the SG thats OK, but I see absolutely no reason why I would bother with it over the lian li. Also if your going to have an optical drive in it then that also make a BIG difference since you will need a more expensive slim drive in the SG plus an extra 10 bucks for the adapter to make that slim drive work.

& If size is an issue

SG05 8.7 x 6.9 x 10.9
q07 7.61 x 11.04 x 8.25
(wxhxd)

So while being much taller (although still extremely small compared to most) the lian li has a smaller footprint. So when you say small form factor it really depends on what the hole you want to shove it in is actually shaped like.

Eidt: corrected silverstones dimensions
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Whoa. I like the Silverstone more. Don't take it personally. The size differences aren't a big deal. And no optical drive necessary. I can install Ubuntu from a thumb drive.
 
Whoa. I like the Silverstone more. Don't take it personally. The size differences aren't a big deal. And no optical drive necessary. I can install Ubuntu from a thumb drive.

Oh its not personal. & Yea I dont bother with the optical on any nix distro. This now being said though Both of these are probably grossly overkill in size. Basically you need the motherboard & a hard drive.

If you are open at all to a 2.5" hard drive the Mini Skeleton would be a fun little system to build for your uses.
 
Actually since no optical you can put your 3.5" hard drive there.

45 ZOTAC GF6100-E-E AM3/AM2+/AM2 NVIDIA nForce 430 MCP Mini ITX
57 AMD Athlon II X2 240 Regor 2.8GHz 2 x 1MB L2 Cache Socket AM3 65W Dual-Core Processor
80 Antec Mini Skeleton-90 0.8mm cold rolled steel Mini-ITX Desktop Computer Case
100 CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800
9 Xion XON-DRBY535PT 5.25" to 3.5" Driver Bay Cover Kit

About 300 shipped all from newegg & You could save about 50 bucks if you dont think you will need the extra 2gb of ram

Also the Mobo CPU from build 3 of danny's post would work in that as well. Its close to the same build except case.
 
That's the craziest case ever. I didn't know they made a mini one. But you didn't include a PSU. And between my Antec Twelve Hundred and Nine Hundred Two, I shouldn't need an adapter, and probably don't need 4GB of memory, at least not right away.

Still teetering between AMD and Intel though.
 
That's the craziest case ever. I didn't know they made a mini one. But you didn't include a PSU. And between my Antec Twelve Hundred and Nine Hundred Two, I shouldn't need an adapter, and probably don't need 4GB of memory, at least not right away.

Still teetering between AMD and Intel though.

There is a 90w PSU built into the Mini Skeleton.. I Wouldn't use it for a Gaming case at all because of that, but any of the CPU's listed would be fine.

plus if this is going to be visible I dont think you will find a better looking little crazy piece of hardware to sit on a shelf.
 
i got a Morex 6600 case. thats the same dimensions as the lian li case but better cooling since the cpu is on the top of the case. you can also use a half height pci card like intel ct nic. here is someones build log with that case http://blogs.msdn.com/b/morgan/archive/2009/03/27/a-new-home-server.aspx

you can also fit 3 hdds and 1 odd.

with that case you can either go the intel atom way with a zotac atom card that has a pci-e lane or intel i3 with the mitx motherboard they have.
 
Back
Top