SFF or 2 separate builds

Saki630

Limp Gawd
I have a huge obsidian 800D case. I wanted to try SFF systems after seeing people stuff 1080ti gaming systems in a tiny size that I can toss in some luggage and take with me.

Am I mislead trying to stuff AIO cooling + 1080ti + 2 RAID 1 WD 3.5'' + 1 SSD boot/games into 1 SFF system that is actually small and not a fat cube?

Or should I skip the Hard Disks, get a bunch of 850EVO's and keep the size down while my storage is offset to a non-existent NAS?

After all my research it seems that option #2 is more likely to succeed.

You can do it with the Ncase, but you would be limited to a 120mm AIO if you want 2 X 3.5 HDD. You can have a single 3.5 and a 240mm AIO. There are restrictions on 1080 Ti that will fit but I know the EVGA SC and SC2, any of the reference designs and the Asus Strix will fit but it is tight.

Simple use for your 3,5" hdd's an nas and build an SFF with the upcoming DAN C4 Case.

Both those ideas are great, except that both of the cases mentioned cant be purchased and cost over $200usd. Its almost better to just mod the 800D to fit 2 mobos and save the money their.

I was thinking of just building an 8700k PC once you can buy these things for gaming since the x299 route is bullshit with the high barrier to entry being the cost of the 8core CPU for any serious 'hedt' sort of work. AMD is the better route.

Both those ideas are great, except that both of the cases mentioned cant be purchased and cost over $200usd. Its almost better to just mod the 800D to fit 2 mobos and save the money their.
What? You said you wanted to downsize so the gaming rig fits into a suitcase. How is modding two mainboards into a huge case going to accomplish that?

I was thinking of just building an 8700k PC once you can buy these things for gaming since the x299 route is bullshit with the high barrier to entry being the cost of the 8core CPU for any serious 'hedt' sort of work. AMD is the better route.

The NCASE M1 is available for purchase at any time, the Dan C4-SFX is not...

You never mentioned anything about price limits, but let us be realistic, if you are looking at boutique SFF cases the price is known to be higher than any mass-produced chassis...

The Louqe Ghost S1 which is starting its Kickstarter on Saturday (the 25th) @ 21:00 CET can accomodate all of that with an extra top hat. Price is probably going to be ~$230-240 but would still fit your criteria.

It depends on how small are you going for. mATX with 2 M.2 SSDs may do the job. mITX is a wee bit trickier. I'm currently caught between two builds, mATX FT03 and mITX FT03mini. Both work well for my purposes, but the mITX FT03 was intended to be the bigger system's replacement, and the case just doesn't fit 10.5" GPUs and is not nearly as good at cooling compared to the bigger case.

So I now have two systems...

How about a louqe ghost?
You can fit 2 m2 ssd in the mobo + a 2.5ssd.

If you add a M top hat you can put 3(not 100% sure) 3.5 hhd and still be below 10l

Food for thought. [This all depends on your personal needs] You can't have it all in a small system.

If it were me I'd find the smallest, most portable case to travel around with that is "good enough" and then have a no compromises ATX system as its companion.

SFF
----Node 202 (preferably smaller..maybe even consider a raven ridge apu)
---cpu: r3 1200
---gtx 1060 or 1050ti

ATX (highest performance for gaming)
----8700k delidded to 5.3ghz
----280mm AIO or custom LC
----asus maximus apex motherboard
----4600mhz DDR4
----1080ti
----3.5inch HDDs 4-8
----10gbe ... Raid cards etc... 4k bluray

If you desire uncompromised performance I say go ATX. And then just have a cheap ITX system that gets the job done for those times when a portable system is needed.

I say this as I was the person who tried to do it all in one SFF case (ncase)
--X99ITX 6800k
--GTX 1070
--32gb ddr4
--2x8TB HDD
--3TB HDD
--500gb 850evo
--250gb WD blue SSD
--512gb Samsung 960
--6 noctua fans
--slim Bluray player
--a bifucated riser I hope to use to split the single x16 slot into 2 seperate slots

Last edited:
Could fit all of your needs in a Kimera Cerberus and it's available now, but cost >$225.

You looking for more like Sentry thin or NCASE bootbox size?

Back