SFF Gaming Any advice?

Admiral_Ackbar6

Space Invaders High Score Champion
Last edited:
I wouldn't suggest getting e8400 as you can get Phenom2 x4 945 for same price.

Thanks for the input. I was originally staying away from ATI because my first card, and AIW9700pro (long time ago) gave me bad driver issues, especially hooked up to a TV. Driver issues should be no problem anymore?

Also, is this is suitable case size-wise? I'm not planning on doing any overclocking, but I am a bit worried about fit, especially on some of the larger video cars. If I'm not overclocking, do you think stock cooling on the CPU is OK, or should I look into getting a 3rd party cooler?

Once again, thanks for the input.

Third part coolers generally run quieter and cooler so it can be worth it if you dont mind spending that little bit extra money. I think its worth it especially in a SFF case. Just depends on what your budget allows. :)

Well that case is OOS with no estimated date of it bieng back in stock. However I recommend looking through these search results for that case to get a better idea of the case:
http://hardforum.com/search.php?searchid=12694948

Other cases to look at:
$70 - Silverstone SUGO SG02B-F Black mATX Case
$100 - Silverstone SUGO SG01B-F Black mATX Case
$100 - Lian Li PC-V351A Silver mATX Case
$110 - Lian Li PC-V351A Black mATX Case

The PSU is of mediocre quality. I recommend spending the extra $25 for a superior quality PSU like the Corsair 520HX.

Also I concur with lt_shiro's parts recommendations: An Intel C2D/C2Q based setup isn't that viable from a cost-performance perspective. In addition, the HD4890 is a tad faster than the GTX 275 but it's cheaper and XFX offers a lifetime warranty with their cards. Combined with the savings from the combo, the XFX HD4890 is a significantly better choice from a price-performance perspective.

Looking at the almost $170 price of the dual core I'd spend a little more and get a good quad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
The Q9550's price just lowered. If you overclock that to 3 GHz its like double the processor.
For future games or current ones like UT3 you definitely want to go quad core.

+1 on the GTX 275 though. My EVGA FTW edition is sweet at WUXGA, even in Crysis warhead maxed out.

Just a FYI. New i7 CPUs come out next month. Also one is an i5 supposedly. I've heard two dates bantered around. September 6th and 8th so sometime early part of September. Might be some pricing changes due to this.

Looking at the almost $170 price of the dual core I'd spend a little more and get a good quad.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115041
The Q9550's price just lowered. If you overclock that to 3 GHz its like double the processor.
For future games or current ones like UT3 you definitely want to go quad core.

+1 on the GTX 275 though. My EVGA FTW edition is sweet at WUXGA, even in Crysis warhead maxed out.

As stated before 775 is near end, Q9550 isn't doing to much in terms gameplay performance and puts him into very poor upgrade path.

As stated before 775 is near end, Q9550 isn't doing to much in terms gameplay performance and puts him into very poor upgrade path.

The 775 is nowhere near dead. It clearly isn't the top dog anymore, I agree.

And you talk about upgrade path: are you kidding? a 75$ mobo and 50$ for 4GB of DDR2, who cares about upgrade? The CPU is more than 60% of the price of Mobo+CPU+RAM. Once you change the CPU, what's left? It's not like he is building a super high end machine where depreciation will be enormous. Once he is done with it, (2 years, maybe?) he can always stick all this in an el-cheapo case and reuse the rest in a new build.

You forget also one thing: heat. In a SFF/HTPC, having a E8400 for example is great. You clock it at 9*400 while lowering the voltage (I know I have) thats great, especially if your cooling options are limited (you're not as much restricted in terms of case selection). As much as I like AMD and find fantastic that they are now back in the game, you are talking about a 945 thats 125W TDP against 65W for a E8400 or 95W for a Q9550. And the Intel numbers are usually rather conservative with the latest steppings. Performance-wise, the Q9550 and the 945 are somewhat similar. The option on AM3 is the 905e which seems really good but I don't think it performs as well as the Q9550 (maybe better than the E8400).

For the GPU it's a different story, the 4890 and GTX275 being sorta equivalents, personal preference (and price?) can be decisive.

1. Get your facts correct sir. x4 945 is now 95w tdp part.

2. 775 socket supports ends early-mid next year, while AM3 socket will go well into 2013.

3. by year end, cost of DDR2 and DDR3 will be the same, cost different is barely $10-$20 these days.

Your views are narrow, bias and baseless.

1. Get your facts correct sir. x4 945 is now 95w tdp part.

2. 775 socket supports ends early-mid next year, while AM3 socket will go well into 2013.

3. by year end, cost of DDR2 and DDR3 will be the same, cost different is barely $10-$20 these days.

Your views are narrow, bias and baseless.

1. According the following document,
AMD Phenom 2 model comparison it's both. So which one is it?
2. As of TODAY (operative word) it's nowhere dead. Obviously you completely ignored my arguments about the upgrade issue being somewhat unimportant. AM3 will go well into 2013? Brilliant! And? Of course you will still be using the mobo you bought this year for the AMD processors made in 2013...
3. OK but it isn't now and in a budget machine it makes a difference.

Narrow views, biased and baseless? So you say, and I for one don't need to revert to name calling. I am not biased: I have no brand loyalty whatsoever and would choose AMD in a heartbeat if I thought it suited my needs better than Intel. Don't care. Never will.

Here is your answer to question of 95watt or 125watt
http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1034468178&postcount=3

This may come as a shocker to you but some people can't build a new computer from starch every year.

Particle's First Rule of Online Technical Discussion:
As a thread about any computer related subject has its length approach infinity, the likelihood and inevitability of a poorly constructed AMD vs. Intel fight also exponentially increases.

Rule 1A:
Likewise, the frequency of a car pseudoanalogy to explain a technical concept increases with thread length. This will make many people chuckle, as computer people are rarely knowledgeable about vehicular mechanics.

Rule 2:
When confronted with a post that is contrary to what a poster likes, believes, or most often wants to be correct, the poster will pick out only minor details that are largely irrelevant in an attempt to shut out the conflicting idea. The core of the post will be left alone since it isn't easy to contradict what the person is actually saying.

Rule 2A:
When a poster cannot properly refute a post they do not like (as described above), the poster will most likely invent fictitious counter-points and/or begin to attack the other's credibility in feeble ways that are dramatic but irrelevant. Do not underestimate this tactic, as in the online world this will sway many observers. Do not forget: Correctness is decided only by what is said last, the most loudly, or with greatest repetition.

Remember: When debating online, everyone else is ALWAYS wrong if they do not agree with you!

:D:D:D

Last edited:
I loved this upgrade slam!!!!

"And? Of course you will still be using the mobo you bought this year for the AMD processors made in 2013..." [I assume you were being sarcastic!]

So true....I'm sick of constantly getting sucked into the buy the best now, so you can upgrade later (future-proof) bull!.....look at your own advice on the 775...you're telling this guy, after a couple years, don't bother upgrading the cpu on a 775, just buy a new system....how ironic,

what will AMD processors look like in 2013...good point, most likely completely different and unusable on today's motherboards.

Back