Setup questions win 7 new comp

nightfly

2[H]4U
Last computer I built was 2004, so I need some help with this one. None of this is written in stone so all suggestions are welcome.
OS drive will be 60 gig SSD. I plan a swap file on a 750 gig mechanical drive unless you think it will be o.k. on the SSD; I worry about continuous rewrites on the SSD which might shorten it's life. Computer is built primarily for playing Rise of Flight and eventually other flight sims, and I don't know if they will be writing things on the OS drive a lot.
1. Should I partition the SSD to keep my install of RoF off the OS partition should I need to reinstall windows (usually happens once in a while)? What is the recommended size of the OS partition for Win 7? I never install programs on the OS partition, but know most programs install themselves or parts of themselves onto the C drive despite our best efforts to prevent that.
2. How big a swap file will I need? I have 16 gig of ram, and also need to know how to keep stuff from being paged out into that swap file. Plan a static size swap file on the mechanical drive if win 7 allows that.
3. During install how do I move the my documents folder off the SSD? I did it with XP but don't remember how.
4. Does Win 7 64 run older programs? I'm still using Office 2003 on my XP machines, it's the only copy I have and would prefer to use it rather than pay for a new version if it will run on the new OS.
5. If I use a boot manager to install multiple bootable Os's, does this rewrite a sector on the SSD or does it just point the way to the OS to boot? I have XP pro, XP 64, and Win 7 available.
6. Also, the only boot manager I have is from OS/2 warp, and I don't know if that ancient prog will work with the size of these drives, so if doing multiple OS's is a good idea, what boot manager program is available/best for this use?
7. I've never had a virus, mostly because I don't click on stupid stuff on the net. Which AV program is good but uses the least resources? It will be mostly used to scan downloaded files before I use them. I've been reinstalling norton with every windows reinstall but my versions are old and it's problematic manually installing the updates on old non supported versions, as well as I don't know if they are compatible with Win 7.

Don't have all the answers for ya, but:

3. just plug it into another computer as a secondary drive and drag the files off of it.
4. It will run older programs it has a compatibility tab under properties.
7. If you run Microsoft Security essentials along with malwarebytes you should be fine.

1. I would just use the whole SSD as one partition so you don't have to worrty about the space issue, but if you insist on partitioning it I would make the Win 7 partition at least 30GB to allow for updates, service packs, etc.

2. Just leave the page file on the SSD, which is the best place for it, and shrink it down to a gig or so to save space.

1. Should I partition the SSD to keep my install of RoF off the OS partition should I need to reinstall windows (usually happens once in a while)? What is the recommended size of the OS partition for Win 7? I never install programs on the OS partition, but know most programs install themselves or parts of themselves onto the C drive despite our best efforts to prevent that.

I would make the SSD your entire OS drive, nothing more. The reason being is, sure 30GB might suffice now, but things grow, and over time, you'll consume way more than you assumed you would. Don't crunch the space into that drive by taking away anymore than necessary. OS on SSD, everything else on HDD based devices.
2. How big a swap file will I need? I have 16 gig of ram, and also need to know how to keep stuff from being paged out into that swap file. Plan a static size swap file on the mechanical drive if win 7 allows that.

150% of physical memory is recommended until you get to the level you are. At that point, you can do 50% of phyiscal memory or less. You could do a 1GB on the SSD 3GB on HDD. Even though you're gonna have a hard time eating up 16GB of memory right now. 2-3 years from now, probably not so.
3. During install how do I move the my documents folder off the SSD? I did it with XP but don't remember how.
Windows 7 doesn't have traditional documents folders, they are libraries now, you can just associate a drive off C as your "documents' part of your library, and then that will be your default option. Just search google for "Changing default documents folder Win 7" and you should turn up a good hit w/ pics to reference.
4. Does Win 7 64 run older programs? I'm still using Office 2003 on my XP machines, it's the only copy I have and would prefer to use it rather than pay for a new version if it will run on the new OS.

I can attest that as far back as Office 2000 will work, 2003 more so, and 2007/2010 flawlessly. The only real issues I've seen related to them relates to upgrading from the installs on there, not during fresh installs. You'll be fine.
5. If I use a boot manager to install multiple bootable Os's, does this rewrite a sector on the SSD or does it just point the way to the OS to boot? I have XP pro, XP 64, and Win 7 available.

That might vary depending on the boot manager. Last I recall though, most of them modify the MBR, and it would put itself on the first detected drive.
6. Also, the only boot manager I have is from OS/2 warp, and I don't know if that ancient prog will work with the size of these drives, so if doing multiple OS's is a good idea, what boot manager program is available/best for this use?

GRUB if you want something free, or OSL2000 if you want something "paid" (I use paid loosely, cause there doesn't seem to be a requirement except the honor system, but its $25 if you do use it and want to pay the developer (and you should)). Both will do what you want,
7. I've never had a virus, mostly because I don't click on stupid stuff on the net. Which AV program is good but uses the least resources? It will be mostly used to scan downloaded files before I use them. I've been reinstalling norton with every windows reinstall but my versions are old and it's problematic manually installing the updates on old non supported versions, as well as I don't know if they are compatible with Win 7.

If you're going to use Win 7. You should try 2 products IMO. 1.) Microsoft Security Essentials, free, from Microsoft, lightweight, non intrusive, suitable for $0. 2.) Avast Free Edition, again, free, lightweight, doesn't intrude into my workday, just sits quietly in the bar. If you want paid products, ESET NOD32 gets a lot of praise here, and I recommend GFI's Vipre product.

Most the shit you come across on the net will not get picked up by most A/V software these days. Its all about Malware now. A paid version of Malwarebytes might not be a bad idea, but at the very least, grab the free version, install and keep it updated. Monthly scans, not a bad idea.

Good luck with your new build.

First, make sure you are in AHCI mode so you have Trim enabled. As for setup, I would simply select the unpartitioned space on the SSD and press next. Windows Setup will take care of the rest. You can redirect your user folders to another drive if you want for pictures, music, etc. Your OS and programs you will want on your SSD.
This is really up for debate because everyone has a different opinion. Mine is that I think Microsoft is smarter than we are at knowing what's best for their OS, so disabling the PF I do not think is a good idea. What I've been doing lately for SSD's is manually adjusting it. I have a minimal 400MB and maximum 8180MB Page File. This gives me a 400MB page file but allows it to grow as needed, so I don't run into any errors at all. For you, a 400 MB minimal, 16350 MB maximum is what Microsoft would recommend. You don't have fragmentation on SSD's so the growth/shrinkage fragmentation argument is mute. This method allows you to maintain maximum compatibility, while saving you precious SSD space.
With an SSD I would. Just right click the folders, go to the target tab, then point it to a new folder on your magnetic drive. Even on magnetic drives, I usually create a 200-300GB partition for the OS and applications, then a second partition to redirect user folder to. This keeps my OS/App's at the front (fastest) part of the drive, and trivial things like documents and music at the slowest part. You don't need much speed at all to open them.
It can. Office 2003 will run perfectly on Windows 7 x64.
Whatever OS you install last will manage your boot manager if I remember correctly. Realistically, you shouldn't need XP anymore except for some legacy applications. Remember though XP doesn't support SSD maintenance. If you need XP, grab an old HDD and install it on that, then use your mobo boot menu to select the different HDD to boot too.
The boot manager included with 7 should work fine. There are applications out there that make editing it very easy.

This is another hot debate. I suggest checking out this thread in the Software section. It's the most recent debate over AV products. My personal recommendation is a custom installation of Avast 6; Web, File, P2P, and Script shields installed only. It's lightweight.

Back