• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Setting up RAID 5

NPavao1991

n00b
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
6
Hey, I'm learning about computers and wanted to set up raid 5 on an old crap computer of mine. I have plenty of hard drives, but don't have a raid controller card. What is the cheapest one I can get? I don't need it to be nice, just want the practice setting it up.
 
the firrst question is what is te exact number of drives that you would like to use.
 
the computer I'm using is an old dell dimension e310. I think I'm going to use 4 hard drives. I'm not sure the motherboard has more connections than that.
 
If you're willing to learn, you're better off with a software RAID solution like Linux + MDADM. From what I can tell, that PC doesn't have any PCI-E slots and PCI controllers are still kinda pricey for what they are.
 
Back
Top