Setting up a Media Server (Synology), need major help

TheGeekFreek

Supreme [H]ardness
Ok, so I have a semi-big networking project that I'd like to get done, but I need some serious help figuring out how to do it...

Hardware
Synology 209J+
PS3
Hacked Apple TV w/ Boxee/BXMC/NitoTV
Xbox 360
PC Running Vista
PC Running Windows 7
PC Running Windows XP
DGL-4500 Router

Since I have the habit of moving every 6 months to a year, moving my movie collection has become a HUGE hassle.. I have been slowly converting my 2000 movie collection to .m4v files and uploading them to the Synology. Originally I wanted to be able to access it via the apple TV but decided I wanted all my media players to be able to play them.. I know for a fact the PS3 can play the file format if burned to a disk, but I cant get any of the units to find the server or access it..

Would someone here be so kind as to show me how to step by step setup each device to be used. Ive never dealt with so many protocols, and ideally I would like the server to be a streaming server instead of downloading, but if I can only download, so be it.

I would also like to set it up to where I can access anything by remote, not just local network. It seems all I need is a static IP and a port forward for that, but for everything else Im pretty lost. All the local LAN PC's can login by IP address but if you try and connect via the shown networks it asks for a password and it just wont accept the password I have setup.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

*From what I can tell, if I enable the device as a media server for music or movies it provides a folder and Im guessing that I have to use its folder
*I have an external USB drive hooked up sharing music, Is it possible to rename this or set this up as the default music sharing drive for the media server?

Last edited:
dont you need to stream and transcode to the xbox and ps3?

for remote access, need dyndns service and port forwarding should be easy.

dont you need to stream and transcode to the xbox and ps3?

for remote access, need dyndns service and port forwarding should be easy.

Just streaming for the PS3, Xbox probably needs both.. but whatever way is easier.. Just need someone to walk me thru the steps.

Have you tried reading the manual for the synology? Should tell you right away how to properly set it up

Also, how many and which of those devices will be connected wirelessly?
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

Only the PC's are wireless, the Xbox, Apple TV and PS3 are all hard wired..
Ive already verified that Cell phones and iPods can login and download music/movies, not sure how I could try streaming on those devices..

But yeah, Ive read thru the manual, Im just not very good at reading generic instructions and understanding how to apply them to something unless I already have an idea of what im doing and where to start.. In this case, Im not even sure where to start.

Anyone have any experience?

Just need some instructions like this

PS3 Setup:
Go here, enable this, assign this IP, create login credentials, blah blah blah

Xbox Setup:

Apple TV Setup:

But yeah, Ive read thru the manual, Im just not very good at reading generic instructions and understanding how to apply them to something unless I already have an idea of what im doing and where to start.. In this case, Im not even sure where to start.

What manual are you talking about? Looking through the manual downloaded from the website, it's fairly straightforward. Even tells you how to access the NAS from MacOSX..

First place you have to start is the NAS. That's the center of your storage and streaming network. Read the manual again and again and again to understand how to set it up correctly.

Second, ensure that all the PCs are part of the same workgroup. Google how to setup Windows 7 and Vista in a workgroup. Also google how to add Windows XP to a workgroup. Don't worry about the network drivers or anything like that. (you'll know what I mean when you set up the workgroup in XP). Dunno if you have to add the NAS to that workgroup.

Third, if you had set up the NAS correctly, both the 360 and PS3 should be able to see it automatically. Though apparently you may have to add the PS3 as a user.

EDIT: Oh a hint for number 3, note that the PS3 and 360 are DMA certified devices on that NAS. There's a part in the manual on how to setup sharing to those DMA devices.

Last edited:
ok, got streaming to work on the PS3 using the uPnp protocol, everything local works perfect there....

Edit: Got all 3 devices to see all the folder and stream on the LAN, it guess it just takes it a few minutes to completely update..
I wish I didnt have to use the pre-existing Folder setup, it seems to only share the folders that it creates automatically.. Mainly because my music was on an external USB drive, but I couldnt even rename the drive, oh well..
Now comes access from outside the LAN.. Now that I know streaming works internally, I need to get it working externally.. But that will cause 2 problems that I see.. If I assign a static IP and port forward Im assuming it will no longer be automatically see on my LAN and I will have to find it manually? When I have some time tomorrow ill try and do it, and get screenshots of things I dont understand.

I have yet to setup all the PC's to the workgroup domain.. They are all there but cannot see eachother yet, but soon.

Once all thats done ill look into creating a homepage

Last edited:
Ok, Things are lookin good.. had an old friend of mine volunteer to help me out.. All I had to do was assign a local static IP, then do a port forward just like I thought..

Biggest downfall right now is my ISP tho.. Only have a 2mbps upload which is killin the external people.. takes over an hour to DL a movie.. havent tested external streaming yet tho.. but thnx for the help guys. Im sure ill be poking back in here throughout the week asking other questions.

Back