• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

setting 19" lcd to widescreen

700HO

n00b
Joined
Jan 18, 2006
Messages
7
after seeing cod2 played on xbox 360 widescreen, i'd like to try the same on my pc version. i remember reading somewhere a way to set your lcd, in my case a 930b at 1280x1024, to 1280x800 for example, but with black bars at top and bottom so the picture is still native and not stretched. i am able to create a custom 1280x800 res in nvidia control panel but not sure how to get it with bars across the top and bottom. as far as in game settings go, they should not be a problem as there is 16:10 and 16:9 widescreen settings.
basically i want to try widescreen on my standard 19" lcd while still having the sharpness of full native resolution.
 
i gotta think someone here knows this......
maybe i should try with vga cable hookup instead of dvi?????
 
The cable hookup will not make a difference in this issue.

Look for something that says 1:1 scaling. If a 1:1 option is enabled, the monitor will not scale any resolutions, but will just give the black bars that you are looking for.
 
can't seem to find the 1:1 scaling option anywhere. i have a 6600gt running 81.98 tru drivers.
under advanced timing there is a flat panel scaling option offering : display adapter scaling , centered output, fixed aspect ratio scaling, and monitor scaling. none of these settings seem to make a difference.
 
Centered output is probably what you want. Any resolution smaller than native would be centered on the screen with black bars around the edges.
 
i keep trying centered output and still no results. it will let me set it to 1280x800 and centered output is selected but still is full screen.
is it worth trying with vga cable hookup? i remember when i switched to dvi hookup it made refresh rate default to 60hz for some reason, maybe it limits other things as well.....
 
check that your monitor is not scaling the image

I've just set my Benq FP91G+ to 1280x960 and I get the black borders on top and bottom.

Also tried 1280x720 and even 1024x1024, but work like a charm
 
i have a samsung 930b and there is no scaling or resolutions settings in the OSD.
 
Will this work with most LCd monitors, I was looking at a 19" widescreen with a native resolution of 1440x900, If I try and play a game that doesn't support that res then it will be stretched, If I use this setting your talking about will I get black bars around the screen and a normal aspect ratio pic. I was wondering if there was something like this and was afraid to get a widescreen till I found out. I am currently running on a TV useing S-Video input as my monitor died, lets just say it really sucks and would like to get a monitor ASAP!
Thanks and please excuse the thread Hijack but I think it is on the same subject and dont feel the need to creat a new thread.
 
Back
Top