SETI.Germany's 14th Annual Pentathlon (2023)

Agent_N , Ducrider748 wanna help [H] for less than a day in einstein@home? Gpu only. See instructions on post #1 in this thread. LTT is hot on our heels in einstein. They have quite a number of folders moving over to boinc pentathlon. Thanks in advance!

1684383597876.png

Agent_N , Ducrider748 wanna help [H] for less than a day in einstein@home? Gpu only. See instructions on post #1 in this thread. LTT is hot on our heels in einstein. They have quite a number of folders moving over to boinc pentathlon. Thanks in advance!

View attachment 571021
I didn't see this until after I left for work so I won't be able to set it up for less than a day of folding unless it stretches into the weekend.

I didn't see this until after I left for work so I won't be able to set it up for less than a day of folding unless it stretches into the weekend.
No worries. BTW this is BOINC projects only, not folding. LTT is recruiting folding folks to help them in BOINC pentathlon projects. This race will end today at 5pm PT.

Jeeper's Day 14 BOINC Pentathlon commentary

Last day to the finishing line.

Our biggest threat is in einstein@home (cross country). LTT catching up with us over the past 24 hours.
1684422711873.png

Day 14 – 18 May 2023 – Now It Counts!​

Only a few hours left in the competition. There are no more excuses now. Pick up the pace and keep it up. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. Let us check who has the best chances to reap the rewards of success.

Cross Country (Einstein@Home) What will still happen on the bumpy track? Can GPUUG (#2) still push TAAT off the top? Will there be a showdown here? At least on the Green Planet, things might be a bit more civilized, as #3 should not be in danger. But who knows for sure?

icon-crosscountry-small.png

[H] (#4) and LTT (#5) will hardly be able to devastate the Green Planet, but they do not give each other anything. Another couple found themselves behind them. CNT (#6) and RKN (#7) are pushing each other and caught TC (#8) and SG (#9) cold. This would be the worst ranking ever for the Germans. I really hope that the Blue and Yellows will not surrender to their fate in this discipline which they won in 2015 and 2016 after all.

Ukraine (#10) and AF (#11) seem content and can examine the weeds near the track. OCN (#12) and SUSA (#13) have no time for this, as they are fumbling hard as well. Behind them, EVGA (#14) and B@P (#15) seem to just secure their places, which LITOMYSL (#16), BOINC.Italy (#17), and also MK (#18) cannot afford to do. They are having a quick threesome right now.

It remains to be seen whether TSBT (#20) can still push Chinese Dream off #19. At least the chance is there. And maybe AMD Users will still join them, as they probably have secured #21 and are going fast. 2ch should be safe in #22 and can follow the duel between B^S (#23) and BOINCstats (#24) when looking back.

Russia (#25) are doing very well at the moment, leaving Crystal Dream (#26) a bit disillusioned. TFFE (#27) have also hurried up and not only overtaken UBT, but also built a gap. BC can probably look forward to finish in #29, as PiGyS (#30) still have the schnitzel sitting heavy in their stomach.

Obstacle Run (yoyo@home: only subprojects ECM, ECM P2)

icon-obstaclerun-small.png
Naturally, there is not much movement on the long-distance track at the end, but this does not mean that everything is decided here. In the following, I will take a look at the hot spots.

Yesterday's bonus day narrowed the gap between P3D (#1) and TAAT (#2) again, so a courageous final spurt might well lead to a change. LTT should not be too confident about #3 yet. While SG (#4) and [H] (#5) are already a bit behind, they might still be surprised in the infight. It is also still close between RKN (#8), SUSA (#9), and AF (#10), and the duel between TC (#11) and MK (#12) behind them is not decided yet as well.

B@P (#14), BOINC.Italy (#15), and OCN (#16) are still in contention for #14, although OCN should keep an eye on AMD Users (#17) to avoid being caught cold. There is also a three-way fight for #19. Chinese Dream (#19), UBT (#20), and LITOMYSL (#21) are in the running here.

Another threesome is between TFFE (#23), BOINCstats (#24), and TSBT (#25). Do not say that our pentathletes are not willing to experiment. A gang of four has emerged to rumble for #27. PiGyS (#27) currently hold the best cards, followed by 2ch (#28), Russia (#29), and Crystal Dream (#30). Overall standings

ringe.png
So there is still movement in both running disciplines that may of course also affect the overall standings. However, gold and silver are decided. It is no longer possible to sneak the medals from TAAT (#1) and P3D (#2). LTT (#3) still have the best chance to win bronze, as SG (#4) are losing too many points.

The battle for #5 is also exciting. [H] cannot be certain of #5, because RKN (#6), CNT (#7), and also GPUUG (#8) are only just behind them. AF seem to secure #9, as do Ukraine secure #10. SUSA (#11) do not appear to be able to attack.

TC (#12) and MK (#13) will probably decide their battle for #12 in the Obstacle Run. Incidentally, this is also true for BOINC.Italy (#14) and OCN (#15). EVGA will probably finish at #15.

AMD Users (#17) and LITOMYSL (#18) are currently tied on points. B@P hold on in #19, only just ahead of Crystal Dream (#20) and TSBT (#21) a little further behind. The difference of only one point illustrates how close it is between Chinese Dream (#22) and TFFE (#23). The Chinese seem to benefit from the final spurt here.

Russia (#24) and BC (#25) are only three points apart, promising an equally exciting finish. Behind them, 2ch seems to be safe in #26, but behind them is another threesome. UBT (#27), BOINCstats (#28), and B^S (#29) are generating a lot of friction heat at the moment, let us see where that goes. PiGyS (#30) are enjoying the show armed with pizza, gyros, and schnitzel.

You see, it is all set.

• Who wins gold in the obstacle run?
  • Who wins silver in the Cross Country?
  • Who wins bronze jumpsuit?

You see it remains exciting at the BOINC Pentathlon.

Yours, Jeeper

[Based on stats at 10:00 UTC]

The chance it will make any difference is small but for the last few hours I was able to steal my son's 6700xt for Einstein.

Every little bit helps. The margin can be small between positions.
I realize that 100% as I've seen it before. The main reason I have my doubts is due to needing a quorum of 2 for the results. Most of the work units it processes likely won't count until after the competition. However, there's always the chance it might help which is the reason it's now crunching for a bit while I can get away with using it.

The pity is that my son didn't bring his 2600x RX570 based Jellyfin server when he moved back in. It's by no means a powerhouse system but it's basically the same specs as my server and would have been good to have for the whole competition. Even if I have no clue where I could put it and not sure I could have withstood any more heat in my room.

Only 2.5 hours to go! we are in a good spot to take home 6th for sure but maybe we can take 5th overall again this year. That will depend on if Rechencraft makes their usual last minute move and can pass CNT or SG. Good times.

No worries. BTW this is BOINC projects only, not folding. LTT is recruiting folding folks to help them in BOINC pentathlon projects. This race will end today at 5pm PT.
I have a Boinc account, haven't accessed it in awhile, did some Boinc projects for a short time years ago.

I have a Boinc account, haven't accessed it in awhile, did some Boinc projects for a short time years ago.
The BOINC pentathlon is an annual event. We just need more recruits. I mean we need numbers. Don't have to bring a 50-cal. 22-cal will do just fine ;)

Anyway, hope to see you next year and don't forget about folding challenge too.

Congrats everyone on a solid finish and an exciting year. This was probably the smoothest year we have had in quite some time as far as projects running smooth. We finished in 5th place again.

So who dropped the massive Einstein bunker in the last few hours? LTT was almost caught up with us.

Congrats everyone on a good showing.

I had a really good time this year and we did really well all around. Thanks to everyone who came out to support the team and see you at next years Pent if not sooner ;)

I had a really good time this year and we did really well all around. Thanks to everyone who came out to support the team and see you at next years Pent if not sooner ;)
Except for some issues I had with YoYo it was definitely a great time. This is the reason I throw everything I have at the Pentathlon even though it means for most of two weeks it's like living in an oven. In my opinion this is the best competition setup in the DC world. I look forward to running it every year.

Jeeper's Day Finale Report Chapter 1 BOINC Pentathlon commentary

Final Report – 19 May 2023 – Something Shines in the Sun – Parts 4&5​

It is finished. The 14th BOINC Pentathlon is in the books, with some surprises and twists. 30 teams took up the challenge and gambled, fought, and feared. There were celebrations, tears were shed, technology was tortured, and relationships were strained. But it was worth it. Now it is time to celebrate the winners, as usual in two chapters. The first chapter covers the disciplines, and the second chapter about the overall standings will follow in a bit.

icon-crosscountry-small.png Cross Country (Einstein@Home)
Victory goes to TAAT, who left nothing to chance in the final hours. GPUUG wins an excellent silver medal that shines particularly beautiful in the sun for the pentathlon rookies. P3D cross the finish line in third place. Congratulations!

[H] let nothing in their way either and secured #4 ahead of LTT (#5) and SG (#6). The Germans managed to jump ahead of CNT (#7), RKN (#8), and TC (#9) in the final spurt and thus avoided their worst result ever. Behind them, Ukraine finished in #10, as expected.

AF (#11) followed and had SUSA (#12) in tow. The Americans were able to leave OCN (#14) behind, but had to witness how MK rushed in like the desert wind. This won the cooling experts #13, leaving not only OCN, but also EVGA (#15), B@P (#16), BOINC.Italy (#17), and LITOMYSL (#18) behind.

Chinese Dream secured #19 so that TSBT (#20) could not come close. AMD Users failed to catch the Scots in the end, thus remaining in #21. 2ch is in #22, followed by B^S (#23) who managed to keep BOINCstats (#24) at bay.

Russia finishes in #25 after leaving Crystal Dream (#26) with no chance in the final spurt. TFFE (#27), UBT (#28), BC (#29), and PiGyS (#30) calmly coasted to the end of the competition.

icon-obstaclerun-small.png Obstacle Run (yoyo@home: only subprojects ECM, ECM P2)
On the demanding long-distance track, there was not too much movement in the end. P3D win this discipline as they did in 2021. TAAT tried everything to maintain their winning streak, but came up short in the end. They will nevertheless be satisfied with silver. Bronze ultimately goes to LTT, who defended their place comfortably. Congratulations!

SG once again took #4 and und kept [H] (#5) behind. CNT (#6) and GPUUG (#7) followed them with a stable gap. RKN had to give it their all in the end and so they managed to defend #8 and leave SUSA (#9) with no chance. Behind them, AF secured #10.

This also was possible because TC (#11) ran out of fuel in the end. MK (#12) tried to take advantage of that, but the gap was a bit too large. Ukraine retained #13, followed by B@P (#14), who at least succeeded in fending off the attack by BOINC.Italy (#15).

OCN (#16), AMD Users (#17), and EVGA (#18) took no more chances. In the end, EVGA had to be careful not to be caught by UBT. The British surged strongly and clinched #19. This was very important for them, as LITOMYSL (#20) put on a lot of pressure as well. The victim of this dynamical duo were Chinese Dream (#21).

BC (#22) could take it easy, but behind them things were not as calm. BOINCstats snatched #23 on the final day by catching TFFE (#24) and TSBT (#25). They were followed by B^S in #26. PiGyS valiantly defended their hard-won #27 until the end, leaving the Pentathlon veteran 2ch (#28) behind them. Further behind, Russia (#29) did not have the energy to attack anymore, which Crystal Dream (#30) tried but unfortunately failed to take advantage of.

End of Chapter 1

Jeeper's Final Ceremony Report

Notable commentary:
5th [H]ard|OCP (5-7-6-7-4) – previous year: #5
[H] have a firm place among the top of the field. While it was not enough for a medal, it was nevertheless a successful competition for them. However, there is still a bit missing to move further up the overall standings. And they have to be careful in the future, as there are threats from behind…

I probably agree with Jeeper's second last statement about the challenge we face to move up in overall team standings in the future. The four teams above us basically have more members and more hardware in total. Just looking at the number of participants in the top four, P3D, LTT and SG have more participants in the race. TAAT has the least among of participants in the top four teams but they have more hardware.

So, what is in store for us in the next pent? You see it will be exciting again at the 15th BOINC Pentathlon 🤔

Something Outshines Even the Sun​

ringe.png Overall Standings
Even though TAAT again left their mark on this Pentathlon, it was no less exciting and fascinating. Even Mr. Spock could not have controlled his emotions anymore. Grogu would have levitated frogs in excitement and Columbo would have had no more questions.

The teams did not take it easy, even on the final day. RKN passed GPUUG, MK passed TC, TFFE passed Chinese Dreams, and BOINCstats passed B^S. This proves again that if you work hard and consistently, you will still be able to attack in the end.

With GPUUG, there was a new team among the participants that could continue to put pressure on their competitors in the future. Returnee SUSA also did well, even though they could not replicate their glory days. Returnee B@P and newcomer PiGyS were also an enrichment and made for exciting cuddle orgies.

But now to the final rankings, as usual with a small comment on each of the top 15. In addition, I list the ranking in the previous year and the rankings in the disciplines in the order Obstacle Run - City Run - Javelin Throw - Sprint - Cross Country in parentheses.

After that, there will be some more statistics.

And now, honor to whom honor is due.

Gold Medal​

1st TeAm AnandTech (2-1-1-1-1) – previous year: #1
taat.jpg

They won nine disciplines in a row, four of them this year. That says it all. While they won three disciplines by a clear margin, it was a bit closer in the other discipline. Their competitors know that they can be beaten.
BP2023_Overall_1.png

Silver Medal​

2nd Planet 3DNow! (1-4-3-2-3) – previous year: #2
p3dnow.png

Again, it is “only” silver for the Green Planet, but this in a clear fashion. Their victory in the Obstacle Run and three more medals show that they are still a force to be reckoned with. In the City Run it looked like they were a bit weaker this year, but now we know that in return they were all the stronger with gold in the Obstacle Run.
BP2023_Overall_2.png

Bronze Medal​

3rd LinusTechTips_Team (3-2-8-3-5) – previous year: --
ltt.png

They missed out last year and immediately made it onto the podium on their return. What an achievement. Medals in three disciplines resulted in bronze overall. They will still have to make up for the weakness with the javelin, as otherwise other teams might take advantage of this in the future.
BP2023_Overall_3.png

4th SETI.Germany (4-5-2-4-6) – previous year: #4
For the fourth time in a row (and for the sixth time in total) they finish in #4. Silver in the Javelin Throw was the light, whereas there was shadow at the City Run and the Cross Country. They lost important points there. Therefore they remain without an overall medal since seven years ago, but at least they won a medal in a discipline every year.

5th [H]ard|OCP (5-7-6-7-4) – previous year: #5
[H] have a firm place among the top of the field. While it was not enough for a medal, it was nevertheless a successful competition for them. However, there is still a bit missing to move further up the overall standings. And they have to be careful in the future, as there are threats from behind…

6th Rechenkraft.net
(8-6-4-5-8) – previous year: #7
RKN have been getting better and better for several years now. And so, the scoreboard shows their best ranking ever this year. For a short time, even a medal was within reach in the Javelin Throw, but unfortunately they lacked the power in the end.

7th GPU Users Group (7-3-19-10-2) – previous year: --
As a newcomer, GPUUG made a very good debut. Two podium places are excellent, in particular because the gap to the team ahead was not that big there. The reasons for this not resulting in an even better overall ranking were their poor Javelin Throw performance and their rather mediocre Sprint result. If they manage to be more consistent, even more is possible.

8th Czech National Team (6-8-5-6-7) – previous year: #6
The Czech National Team are also an integral part of the top of the field. However, #8 this year is their worst ranking ever. While this looks like complaining on a high level, it shows that the air is getting thinner up there and CNT have to be careful not to lose contact.

9th L'Alliance Francophone (10-11-9-8-11) – previous year: #9
They confirmed their previous result and achieved consistent individual results in the disciplines. Nevertheless, the Francophones have to watch out. It will be increasingly difficult to maintain the top 10 ranking in the future. They lost contact with the very top for now, but this could be changed next year.

10th Ukraine (13-16-7-9-10) – previous year: #8
Ukraine were not doing quite as well as last year this time. However, they still scored their third-best result ever, so they will be more than satisfied. They were doing very well in the Javelin Throw, unfortunately the City Run did not go quite as well.

11th SETI.USA (9-10-13-13-12) – previous year: --
SUSA were back at it after a few years of abstinence, and just barely missed the top 10. The Americans took a bit to settle in, but then they made decent progress. Only in the Javelin Throw and the Sprint they were a bit weak. If they can fix this, the gap to the very top might close as well.

12th Meisterkuehler.de Team (12-13-11-12-13) – previous year: #15
The cool ones were able to follow up on their good old days this year. After being a surprise package before the start, they performed unusually consistent. There were no outliers up or down, and so they were rewarded with a solid ranking.

13th Team China (11-9-22-15-9) – previous year: #10
Once again, the perennial dark horse cannot live up to expectations. They lost contact to the top and even here the air is getting thinner because of missteps as in the Javelin Throw. The question remains when they will unleash their potential.

14th BOINC.Italy (15-21-12-11-17) – previous year: #11
After the very good result in the previous year, they slipped back down this year. This was not only caused by new competitors who passed them. The misstep in the City Run did not help either and cost them important points. However, the Italians remain a force to be reckoned with in the mid-tier rankings.

15th Overclock.net (16-12-24-14-14) – previous year: #14
A disastrous result in the Javelin Throw deprived OCN of the chance for a better ranking. They lost a lot of points there that could not be compensated for. Apart from that, the team was quite consistent again. However, unfortunately they cannot follow up on better days in the past.

16th Crunching@EVGA (18-17-14-17-15) – previous year: #13
17th AMD Users (17-14-15-18-21) – previous year: #12
18th LITOMYSL (20-18-10-20-18) – previous year: #18
19th BOINC@Poland (14-24-21-28-16) – previous year: --
20th Crystal Dream (30-15-16-19-26) – previous year: #26
21st The Scottish Boinc Team (25-23-20-16-20) – previous year: #3
22nd The Final Front Ear (24-20-17-29-27) – previous year: #20
23rd Chinese Dream (21-25-27-23-19) – previous year: #19
24th Russia (29-19-23-21-25) – previous year: #25
25th BOINC Confederation (22-26-18-24-29) – previous year: #22
26th Team 2ch (28-22-30-22-22) – previous year: #17
27th UK BOINC Team (19-28-29-25-28) – previous year: #21
28th BOINCstats (23-29-26-26-24) – previous year: #23
29th BOINC Synergy (26-27-25-30-23) – previous year: #24
30th The PiGyS (27-30-28-27-30) – previous year: --

Statistics
Five teams collected individual medals this year, including the a new one with GPUUG. This means that 18 teams collected individual medals so far. P3D won the most (55), ahead of SUSA (35) and SG (34).

Regarding the overall standings, P3D remain at the top with six wins and will continue to do so for at least the next three years. SUSA follow with three wins, while SG, TSBT, and TAAT have two each. LTT became the tenth team to win an overall medal.

Many questions were answered and new ones arise:

• Will TAAT pull off a hat trick?
  • Can SG once again win an overall medal?
  • Will SUSA regain their former strength?

You see it will be exciting again at the 15th BOINC Pentathlon.

Yours, Jeeper

Last edited:
well, I'll still have a pile of 480s for whatever that's worth lol

on the bright side I finally upgraded from a 1366 system last year! I've joined this decade!
That pile of 480s was tearing through Einstein from what I could see. The GCN architecture tends to do really good on some projects and that's one of them. From what I could see my RX6750xt was only doing about twice as much as my RX570.

Back