Server rail confusion

Deluded

[H]ard|Gawd
I don't even know where to put this.

Got a new office, decided that I want to do unraid properly, so managed to score a 12 bay server (Supermicro CSE-826 if you were curious) for the low, low price of free from a buddy.

Also got a UPS and power conditioner and a server cabinet from a different buddy.

aec135003d2445f085064d69d6c039f8.jpg

Attached is what it looks like. From my research, it is not a square or round hole, but it is screwed in.

But when I look up server rails, I keep stumbling into HP, or Dell or Foxconn or what have you. And they're surprisingly pricey for rails.

So my question is, will these:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Se...066363?hash=item26042192bb:g:eHwAAOSwgQdbqqdh

or

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HP-DL380-D...834181?hash=item46a5d3d5c5:g:-o4AAOSwncJeDo-d

Fit the cabinet above?

I'm hopelessly out of my depth here, any assistance would be appreciated.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You have some nice buddies! (y)

As far as the rails, it looks like this is a 'general use' rack versus one for servers. That is why I think it has round holes versus square.

Rails are generally made for the server, so check the supermicro site to get the rail part number for the cse-826. You wouldn't have any luck with the HP or Dell rails. Actually, I just looked it up and it's part# MCP-290-00058-0N:
https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/chassis/2U/826/SC826E26-R1200LPB

Surprisingly enough, the supermicro rail you provided is identical to my first ebay link. So we will see if he accepts my offer. Thanks again!

It's probably too late to tell you, but from the pictures neither of the rails you provided would work with that rack. One has hooks for going into square holes, and the other has pegs. You need rails that just have holes in them so you can put screws into the rack. Basically it should look like any type of networking gears rack kits.

71AivtK7ezL.jpg

Both ends of your rails would just have the small tabs with holes like this in them, so you can put a screw through the hole and screw it into the rack.

If you already bought that first set you linked, you might be able to make them work, but I'm not really sure. The issue is going to be that normally the tab will be behind the rail, in your case you want the tab on the front of the rail. But that means you need to put the screw through an existing screw hole, so unless the threads match it probably won't work.

Well the eBay seller hasn't responded to my offer, so I haven't bought anything.

If all I need is a pair of network rack kits like that, I could buy that. Not like I'm going to need a sliding rail because I'll be doing SO much work on the server....

As long as those rack kits work, it's fine and dandy with me.

The server is pretty heavy though, will two screws on each rack on each corner be enough to hold everything up? Especially with 12 HDD...

As stated above the ebay likely wouldn't work. I know most newer Dell rails can be modified for mounting in any rack type but I don't think Supermicro rails can be.

The network ears likely wouldn't line up with any of the holes on your server and there is absolutely no way I would trust them with the weight.

I think you are looking for something more like this: https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-4...=universal+server+rails&qid=1598316845&sr=8-2

Or you could just find a shelf to put the server on. There are two issues with the rails I just listed:

#1. Depending on the server you likely wont be able to have it held to the rack posts. What I mean by that is the server just sits on the rails. When you go to plug a power cable into the back you'll likely push the server forward unless you hold it. It's really not much of an issue since you probably won't be plugging and unplugging cables all the time.
#2. There is a tiny bit of extra height because of the piece of metal that the server sits on. If you are going to fill the rack you may run into an issue where you can't fit something directly below it because that little piece of metal is in the way.

I doubt any of those would be issues for you in this situation but figured I would mention it. Otherwise just use whatever screw size your rack needs if the screws provided aren't the proper size for your posts. I don't know how deep your rack is but make sure to find ones that are the proper length.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
#1. Depending on the server you likely wont be able to have it held to the rack posts. What I mean by that is the server just sits on the rails. When you go to plug a power cable into the back you'll likely push the server forward unless you hold it. It's really not much of an issue since you probably won't be plugging and unplugging cables all the time.
#2. There is a tiny bit of extra height because of the piece of metal that the server sits on. If you are going to fill the rack you may run into an issue where you can't fit something directly below it because that little piece of metal is in the way.
1. That is a downside, but like you said, once I set up the server, it's going to be untouched for a very long time. And my business is a one person business (me), so I don't see anybody else touching it for any reason.
2. I'm not going to fill up the cabinet, worst comes to worst and I need to expand, then I may buy one additional supermicro server like the one I got and just slot it below that. Plenty of room for everything. Right now I have UPS, power conditioner, server, 48-port gigabit switch, and there's still enough room to shove in a 3U or 4U server. Only the network switch and the server don't have sliders, everything else is securely mounted....and those rails came with the cabinet.

That amazon link looks perfect, I could even slap on some double sided tape so the server doesn't try to slide around as much. Good price too. If you think these will fit, then I'll order them.

My cabinet is about 25" deep, since the supermicro is that long and it is currently resting on top of the cabinet and looks to fit quite well.

Shame you don't live in Canada.

These guys have no idea what these are really worth.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/slide-drawer-20in-full-extens/A-p8896409e

Hell yeah, good price! Shame about that, I'd buy like 4 of them.

1. That is a downside, but like you said, once I set up the server, it's going to be untouched for a very long time. And my business is a one person business (me), so I don't see anybody else touching it for any reason.
2. I'm not going to fill up the cabinet, worst comes to worst and I need to expand, then I may buy one additional supermicro server like the one I got and just slot it below that. Plenty of room for everything. Right now I have UPS, power conditioner, server, 48-port gigabit switch, and there's still enough room to shove in a 3U or 4U server. Only the network switch and the server don't have sliders, everything else is securely mounted....and those rails came with the cabinet.

That amazon link looks perfect, I could even slap on some double sided tape so the server doesn't try to slide around as much. Good price too. If you think these will fit, then I'll order them.

My cabinet is about 25" deep, since the supermicro is that long and it is currently resting on top of the cabinet and looks to fit quite well.

I would call them--a lot of companies ship to the US. ;)

Sounds like they should work. The rails are adjustable between 18.5" to 29". As long as the distance between your front and rear posts is between that you should be fine. Worst case scenario it's Amazon, just send them back.

Those very likely wouldn't work. If you look at your first eBay link, the inside of the rails has a bunch of stacked squares. Those squares line up with hooks on the server which is how the two connect. Those sliders have single holes down the center. There is no way they would attach to the server you have.

Rails are very specific per server. Sticking with Dell since that's what I know best, I'm pretty sure they have changed their rails for every generation. So even if you have a Dell 1u server you have to make sure the rails are from the correct generation or they will not work.

You lose the ability to slide the server out still attached to the rails with universal rails but at least you aren't just stacking servers on top of each other. That makes a bigger mess if you need to pull out something below it.

Rails are very specific per server. Sticking with Dell since that's what I know best, I'm pretty sure they have changed their rails for every generation. So even if you have a Dell 1u server you have to make sure the rails are from the correct generation or they will not work.

To make matters worse Supermicro is somewhat notorious for making different generations of some chassis with different rails. These rails type are usually denoted as fat or thin. It may be worth your while to cruise over to the STH forums and see if someone there could be of help. I've bought a few SM chassis rails over there. That said most of the SM rails I have used only work with square hole racks.Also note most if not all SM chassis require separate inner and outer rails so if your case does not have the inner rails already you will need those as well.

Last edited:
Damn it guys, you're making it even more confusing than before! Now I find out that even supermicro plays the same game?! Ugh.

I think, if I don't find anything that fits the specific supermicro server chassis that Samir was kind enough to dig up, I'll just get a couple universal rails and be done with it.

Also why the hell are they so expensive? It's just a bunch of stamped steel on rollers....

Back