Server + HTPC SetUp Scenario Question

tmayne786

n00b
I have a friend who asked me to help build him a server and htpc. The tasks he laid out that he wishes to accomplish is the following:

1. Store and share all files to all computers/tablets/phones
2. Store all his media (videos, music, pictures) on the server and share it to other clients, such as HTPC (through wired Gigabit LAN)
3. Backup all his computers on a weekly basis to the server
4. Setup FTP from seedbox to download straight to server
5. Be able to control/admin server remotely

The following is the hardware we already purchased.

---Server Hardware---
CPU: Intel Core i3-4160 3.6Ghz
MOBO: ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX
RAM: Team Elite Plus 8GB (4x2GB) DDR3-1600 NON-ECC
CASE: Antec One ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX
SSD: 120GB Silicon Power S60
HDD1: WD Red 3TB 64MB Cache (WD30EFRX)
HDD2: WD Red 3TB 64MB Cache (WD30EFRX)
HDD3: WD Red 3TB 64MB Cache (WD30EFRX)
HDD4: WD Red 3TB 64MB Cache (WD30EFRX)
HDD5: WD Red 3TB 64MB Cache (WD30EFRX)
HDD6: WD Green 2TB 64MB Cache (WD20EZRX)

---HTPC Hardware---

CPU: Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz
MOBO: ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX
RAM: Crucial 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3-1600 NON-ECC
CASE: Silvestone ML05B HTPC Case
PSU: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Certified SFX
SSD: 120GB Silicon Power S60

So, I first started by assembling both systems. Put FreeNas on the Server, and OpenELEC KODI on the HTPC. Everything works great and all. But then I thought about it. All my friend is doing is streaming his local media content to the HTPC from the server and using XBMC addons to stream content from internet. The SSD is not being utilized for any storage other than the XBMC program. Also the server and HTPC are right next to each other in the same room. Here is the current network configuration:

diagram2.gif

If all the HTPC is doing is streaming, and the server is in the same room, I'm thinking it would make more sense to just forgo the HTPC all together and probably install a Linux OS and install/run XBMC on the Server PC and use samba shares for file serving as well. Or maybe just use an Amazon Fire Stick or Fire TV with KODI on it to stream from server. For backup of computers, could use Acronis and have it back up to server hard drive (WD Green 2TB). Set up Raid5 witth motherboard raid.

He is not doing any DVR or Gaming on the HTPC or using any of the local SSD storage, so it seems like a rather unnecessary device since its in the same room? Also the fact I'm using NON-ECC RAM and using ZFS (which I still don't fully comprehend), the risk of data corruption is there. Could just use ext4 file system on Linux. Is my reasoning correct? I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I am good with figuring stuff out, just need some advice on this scenario.

All help will be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Also the fact I'm using NON-ECC RAM and using ZFS (which I still don't fully comprehend), the risk of data corruption is there, compared to just using ext4 file system on Linux. Is my reasoning correct? I'm pretty new to this stuff, but I am good with figuring stuff out, just need some advice on this scenario.
Even without ECC RAM, ZFS is still better than using straight ext4.
Also I posted this in two sections, I'm not sure where Server questions would go. Sorry if I broke a rule, let me know please if I did so
Here is fine. I locked your other thread.

NO chance of your friend moving the server somewhere else?

Even without ECC RAM, ZFS is still better than using straight ext4.

Here is fine. I locked your other thread.

NO chance of your friend moving the server somewhere else?

Thank you for the reply sir :)

Both the server and htpc are in a room adjacent to his home theater. The projector is in the theater room, which has HDMI wire running through ceiling from other room. My main question is since all the HTPC is doing is just streaming his locally hosted content plus whatever on the internet through XBMC tv addons, no transcoding or gaming or dvr or live tv, nothing. Then wouldn't it make more sense to forgo the HTPC and hook the server up directly?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply sir :)

Both the server and htpc are in a room adjacent to his home theater (like full on with the lazy boy leather seats and popcorn machine, guy is a doctor so he went all out including 150" projection canvas). The projector is in the theater room, which has HDMI wire running through ceiling from other room. My main question is since all the HTPC is doing is just streaming his locally hosted content plus whatever on the internet through XBMC tv addons, no transcoding or gaming or dvr or live tv, nothing. Then wouldn't it make more sense to forgo the HTPC and hook the server up directly?
For now. But what about the future?

If your friend hadn't already bought the parts, then this question would be a lot easier. But since he did, I'd keep them seperate. This way you can screw around with the server or HTPC without it affecting the other.

For now. But what about the future?

If your friend hadn't already bought the parts, then this question would be a lot easier. But since he did, I'd keep them seperate. This way you can screw around with the server or HTPC without it affecting the other.

I suppose if we consider the future, though he told me he doesn't for see it, and even so, he wouldn't mind building the HTPC then, when probably componants would be even higher quality than it is now. I can still return all the parts, its been only a week, 30 day return period on Amazon. If that's the case, whats your suggestion?

I suppose if we consider the future, though he told me he doesn't for see it, and even so, he wouldn't mind building the HTPC then, when probably componants would be even higher quality than it is now. I can still return all the parts, its been only a week, 30 day return period on Amazon. If that's the case, whats your suggestion?
Honestly, I'd still keep them separate. For me, I still want whoever is using my HTPC to still be able to at least watch streaming content while the server is down or bogged down with other tasks.

But I would wait for more replies if I were you. There are plenty of other people who do have a combined HTPC and server setup. Though those tend to be a lot beefier (think Core i5 CPU with 16GB of RAM).

Honestly, I'd still keep them separate. For me, I still want whoever is using my HTPC to still be able to at least watch streaming content while the server is down or bogged down with other tasks.

This. Definately better to have 2 separate machines.

You can also look at it opposite of Dangman. I if I have issues with my HTPC, I can still watch my media via my WDTV Live in my bedroom or stream media to my laptop. And I'll also have access to my other files (documents, pics, etc) stored on my server.

A separate htpc is better. You can do whatever you like on it and not worry about messing up the server.

Back