Server crashes while installing Windows Server 2003 Standard R2 x64

NoodleTech

[H]ard|Gawd
I just bought a Dell Poweredge T110 and also downloaded Windows Server 2003 R2 Standard x64 off Technet.

I burned the ISO and proceeded to pop the CD into the server and start installing the OS. The normal blue screen with Windows Setup in the upper left appears and it starts loading drivers/files. When it says "starting windows" in the lower left corner, the screen goes black for a second then I get a blue screen with a message.

Here's a picture of the error message: photo

Any idea what is going on? This is a brand new server straight out of the box.

Here are the specs:
* Intel Xeon X3430, 2.4 GHz, 8M Cache, Turbo
* 2GB (2x1GB) Memory 1066MHz Single Ranked UDIMM
* 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA 3Gbps 3.5" Cabled Hard Drive
* On-Board Dual Gigabit Network Adapter
* DVD Drive, Internal

7B is a hard drive error, check the drivers (use a flash drive to get updated drives if you can).

why would I need drivers? it is just a standard sata hard drive connected to the onboard sata controller. No raid or anything..

Firmware, bad cables (Ohoohhhh..... I went through 3 'new' cables before I found out a constant install error was just based around a bad cable), or a dud hard drive.

First thing I would do is run it through Ultimate Boot CD and check the hard disk and memory for issues. Try and rule out any hardware problem first. If everything passes there it could be its using SATA raid instead of just SATA and you might need to load the driver using the F6 method.

Back