Server build help

jazzman161

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 6, 2004
Messages
220
Hey all. Need some help building a little server for my home. Any help would be greatly appreciated. First off, the questions:

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Where do you live?
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. Please be very specific.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license?

1) Server. Serving media files (tv shows, dvds, music)
2) I know the drives will add up but I'm trying to keep it around $500 not including any HDDs.
3) South Florida
4) CPU, RAM, PSU, Controller Card, SATA Hot Swap Rack, Mobo
5) I've got a LIAN LI Lancool PC-K10B sitting around I'd like to throw everything into. I've also got an external DVD drive for installing my OS if need be.
6) Nope
7) N/A
8) I'd like to build it within this month.
9) I'm thinking RAID (possibly) and thats about it.
10) Considering WHS

I'm thinking I could throw in 10 drives max into my Lian Li Case. (5 internals plus convert the 3 5.25" to 5 3.5" with the hot swap rack). Looking at 1.5TB or 2TB drives as they go on sale. Originally I was considering RAID but I'm thinking maybe just get an extra SATA card and back up 5 of the drives to the toher 5 using built-in back-up or Acronis True Image. This would accomplish the same as RAID1 and save me the cost of an expensive RAID-enabled sata controller card no? My biggest concern is how do I power all these drives? Select a PSU that has enough connectors?

So I'm thinking the following hardware:
CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103255
PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008
Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128342
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134488
Hot Swap: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133030

Lastly, I've got about 500 actual DVDs that I'd like to copy (exact image. no need to compress or anything). Any ideas on how to do this quickly? I'm thinking it'll take me months to do all 500. Thanks!
 
ImgBurn will allow you to make an exact ISO image from a DVD in about 15 minutes. Yes, it takes a long time, but I don't know of any faster way to do it.

As for the PSU, a Corsair VX550 or TX650 would be more than enough for your build. Even at startup, a hard drive will draw no more than 20 watts (12v), so even if you have 10, either of the corsair PSUs will be up to the task.
 
IOriginally I was considering RAID but I'm thinking maybe just get an extra SATA card and back up 5 of the drives to the toher 5 using built-in back-up or Acronis True Image. This would accomplish the same as RAID1 and save me the cost of an expensive RAID-enabled sata controller card no?
Not really. The built-in backup or Acronis True Image isn't real time backup so not exactly RAID 1.

My biggest concern is how do I power all these drives? Select a PSU that has enough connectors?

PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139008

Might be close to the edge with that 400W PSU at startup. Just assume that the average drive will use up 2A at startup. 10 drives = 20A at startup. That Corsair 400CX only has 30A. That means only 10A left for the CPU, mobo, fans which means you'll be running the PSU close to the edge at startup. PSU wise, I recommend this:
$69 - BFG Tech LS-550 550W PSU

Oh and I recommend the CPU/mobo combo that lt_shiro linked to.
 
[Ion];1034182700 said:
ImgBurn will allow you to make an exact ISO image from a DVD in about 15 minutes. Yes, it takes a long time, but I don't know of any faster way to do it.

I thought ImgBurn couldn't back-up DVDs that have encryption. That use to be it's older brother's job DVD Decrypter.
 
Thanks for the recommendation guys. I like the combo linked but I opted for the 4850e because of its 45W power consumption. I figure if this computer is going to be on 24/7, I need to get low power and energy efficient components. Thoughts?

Also, any recommendations on a sata controller card for extra ports?
 
7750 has better use of quiet n' cool. 95w is only when it is at full load, idle to 20% CPU load. It under-clocks itself to 1.4 GHz @ 1.05v with avg power useage of 30watts.
 
I thought ImgBurn couldn't back-up DVDs that have encryption. That use to be it's older brother's job DVD Decrypter.

Oh. Maybe it can't. But it can make an ISO image from an OS DVD in about 15 minutes, even on my laptop :)
 
DVDFab works great for backing up DVDs. You don't have to go through a bunch of settings each time. So you can rip a DVD and fairly quickly start the next one. I ripped all my DVDs using my HTPC and stored them on my server.

As Danny Bui said, Acronis is not really the same as RAID 1. I have six 1TB drives setup in two separate RAID 5 arrays. I don't know how much performance you need, but this is helpful since I may have up to 4 additional PCs all streaming movies, music, etc from the server. I originally only had 3 drives and 1 RAID 5 array and it was getting bottlenecked. Especially my virtual machines. Now it runs very smoothly.
 
Back
Top