Server Board Question

Yes you can run 2 GTXs in SLI.

No, I don't think you can run anything but ECC ram. Its not exactly clear but I think thats what this page is saying.

One, you don't want that board.
Two, you don't want that board.
Three, you don't want that board.
Four, were you listening?

How many times does it need to be explained to people? *sigh* MSI's dual Opteron boards are junk, period. The way the DIMMs are arranged starves the second CPU, when they even bother to attach. (I don't think this one does.) Their proprietary heatsinks are pure garbage at their best. Voltage regulation is pathetic if you're lucky. They lie about memory support. (That board for example, will not support 2GB DIMMs period. I have tested and confirmed this.) I would not use that board if someone paid me to.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813128309
or
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813151148
are basically your only choices for a dual Opteron with SLI. The SLI bridge is an "accessory" you have to find, unfortunately. (Usually using 3DLabs REALiZMs, one does not encounter this problem, so I don't know where to find the SLI bridges currently.)

And as far as Opterons go, yes, ECC Registered is required, period. You cannot use Unbuffered, you cannot use non-ECC. It must be both.

I'd probably look into one of the other boards even though they are dual 940 instead of single. I'd get the Tyan myself if I were in that kind of market ;). A cheaper solution would be to look into a s939 board with SLI and a s939 opteron.

I'm guessing you game alot in which case, get an X2 on an ASUS or DFI SLI motherboard and be happy. MSI motherboards are crap, simple as that. But saying they're crap doesnt get even close to explaining how totally and utterly shit their 'server' boards are. That board shares a memory controller which basically makes the two expensive 940 opties run slower than a single X2 at the same clock speed.

For dual-opteron SLI, get a Tyan K8W-E, nothing better.

For you, get an X2 + Asus or DFI-SLI and game away your life

Buy an Master-2 FAR and your just thick

Back