Server 2012 redirected folders

tgray96

[H]ard|Gawd
Howdy Hard Forum, Long time no talk,

I am currently working ( see insert volunteering/being rotally raped ) at a Museum ( Non-Profit, see cheap old fogeys ). So, Before I get lovely messages telling my about best practices and shitty hardware. Kindly, bug off, it will just waste both of parties time, and you a report.

Heres my issue today, I just setup a new Domain server, Windows Server 2012 Standard. We moved from roaming profiles ( with cataloging data, some profiles were in the 10-20 gig range, so login times were at times as long as an hour ).
I found a decent tutorial,
It walked me through making a directory
and sharing/renaming it to:
UserDir$ along with several different permission settings.
It also walked me through setting up a GPO.
Heres my issue, after running gpupdate,
I get nowhere. Files are not saved to the server, they are saved to the local machine..

HELP, I am two days past my deadline.

Here is one of the folder redirection properties:
1063066_208279392658776_770298979_n.jpg

Check the event logs for any errors reported.

I know some issues with loading/saving a roaming profile are logged to the event logs.

I want to say it has something to do with recursive policy application or something like that, I'll look when I get home

Last edited:
Is the Group Policy applied to the right group in the AD structure and/or are the PC's in question in the right OU to have this policy apply to them? What does GPO Simulation tell you?

There are issues with folder redirection coming from roaming profiles.

Windows xp is mostly the problematic one compared to 7 but it does happen.

When you remove the roaming profile lots of times registry will just not get update. You need to do the following.

You need to cleanup or manually create registry keys
(this is not an exact path just working from memory)
hkcu\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\user shell folders

There is also an entry in WindowsNT HKLM under in the registry that sometimes overrides HKCU.

You can also google this issue with Registry settings for folder redirection or "Windows is looking for a folder that doesn't exist in a profile" (Something to that effect.)

Also make sure you have the correct permission on the root of your folderredirection folder.
Please refer to google on dynamic redirected folders permissions.

when you say "We moved from roaming profiles "
...moved from it to what?
why not just update the gpo to the new server info

when you say "We moved from roaming profiles "
...moved from it to what?
why not just update the gpo to the new server info

Roaming profiles to redirected folders..

This is an issue with GPO just not overriding the old roaming profile settings (which essentially are the same registry settings just more of them).

Updating the gpo with new info will not actually fix the problem. This is a very big bug in Windows.

Easiest way to find out is to log in as a user start->my documents right click and look at the path, if you are still being pointed at the roaming profile you know your problem.

Loopback only applies if you want a machine setting to override a user setting since Profiles/Roaming/Redirected folders are user not computer settings in the first place this will not solve your problem.

Back