Server 2012 on M1015 Won't Boot

SatanSkin

Weaksauce
I'm trying to do an install of Server 2012 Essentials. The OS drive is connected to an M1015 on a X9SCM-ii board.

I couldn't get it to boot so I tried disabling the M1015 BIOS so it was just straight to the OS. During the setup when choosing the drive, it has a warning that the drive is not set to boot in the BIOS. However the install continues just fine. After the reboot, I can never get it to boot into Server 2012. I keep getting dropped to a UFI Shell.

I turned the M1015 BIOS back on and tried booting directly to the OS drive from the Boot Override in the board's BIOS. This just drops me to a black screen with a single blinking cursor.

This same box was just running as a linux server before wiping and installing Server 2012. Any ideas on how to get this to boot? Has anyone had any similar issues with their install?

Welcome to server 2012 Bugsstenials.

Server 2012 is far the buggiest Server OS from MS in the last 10 years.

Really? Anything in particular?

On another note, I just fixed the issue I was having. I had to flash the M1015 to IT mode and reinstall Server 2012. Now it's booting up fine. Still working through all the first time wizards.

Other than the issues with Storage Spaces, I'm interested to hear what other major bugs/issues you are running into.

Welcome to server 2012 Bugsstenials.

Server 2012 is far the buggiest Server OS from MS in the last 10 years.

Wow, you did not disappoint me at all. :D You managed to stay at the same level of useless, wasteful posts you always post. Thanks, I needed that. :D

OP, glad you got it resolved. What is a M1015 by the way?

Did you create an array when you had the M1015 in IR mode? Since it's not passing the drive directly through, you need to create an array so you have a logical drive to install windows on.

ManofGod: M1015 is a SAS controller commonly used in large storage servers. Check out the storage section on here and you'll find plenty of talk about them.

ND40oz: I tried to, but I think I was doing something wrong. I gave up and flashed over to IT mode before giving it much effort. IT mode got it all fixed up. Thanks for that tip though. I'll have to remember that next time.

Wow, you did not disappoint me at all. :D You managed to stay at the same level of useless, wasteful posts you always post. Thanks, I needed that. :D

OP, glad you got it resolved. What is a M1015 by the way?

Yeah well thats exactly what your mom said when you were born :D

Oh You were so helpful your self..:rolleyes:

Looks like Server 2012 is acting up already. I'm working on renaming, reformating, reorganizing my drives one at a time. However SErver 2012 is showing multiple drives in "My Computer" with question marks on them. It shows a total of 6 drives but there's only 2 drives in the server.

Then under the server manager/volumes, it shows three volumes. Instead of the second drive which is mounted with a drive letter in My Computer shows here as //volume/...../blah. If I assign it a drive letter there, it shows up twice in My Computer with both drive letters.

WTF?

What do you plan on doing with the drives in the OS, just standalone?

I would guess you are missing something with the configuration. I have had server 2012 running with 2 M1015's since beta, and then reinstalled the full version once released. Never had any issues with the cards or the OS.

ND40oz: Most likely oging with DrivePool

Biznatch: ok. I'll try a clean install tonight. Do you by any chance have a motherboard with UEFI?

If you're thinking of going with drive pool and using parity, it would be better to spend the 50 bucks on a raid 5 key for your M1015 and use that instead. Performance should be fine using simple or mirror for your drive pool settings though.

ND, I want the drives to spin down when not in use as it is mostly for serving up media. So I don't want any striped RAID. For special data, i'll either use duplication or snapraid.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Why are you guys talking about IR and IT modes? M1015 doesn't have those. 9240 has a unified firmware. Do you mean you flashed the 9210 or 9211 firmware of that type?

I would assume he crossflashed it to a 9211, you can crossflash it to a 9240 if you so desire though or just stick with the standard IBM firmware.

It IS a 9240, it still says IBM ServeRAID M1015 if you flash 9240 firmware. 9210/9211 are different chips but close enough that the firmware works also, which is what prompted the question (now answered)

It IS a 9240, it still says IBM ServeRAID M1015 if you flash 9240 firmware. 9210/9211 are different chips but close enough that the firmware works also, which is what prompted the question (now answered)

Of course it's a 9240, but unless you crossflash it to the 9240 firmware, you have to deal with the custom IBM firmware including the longer bootup.

My M5014 doesn't say M5014 anywhere after I crossflashed it to the 9260s firmware, Megaraid reads it as a 9260-8i, not sure why the M1015 would be any different following a crossflash.

What the hell!? I did a clean install of server 2012 to resolve some issues related to a third party driver I had installed. That's all fine now. However as I've been adding my drives one by one so I can label their position in the case properly, I get to 6 drives just fine. After that shit starts getting odd. An added drive will either replace one of the previous 6, or maybe it'll show up properly as a 7th or 8th drive, or it doesn't show up and I actually lose a drive dropping back down below 6 drives.

So I removed all but the 8 drives that I knew were working and showing up properly and rebooted. However, now it is only showing 6 drives. Why the hell does it act so stupid like this? Does any have any experience with this happening to them in the past? Is this likely an issue with Server 2012 that I should be trying WHS2011 instead? Is this an M1015 issue?

And as far as checking the drives, all the ones that ever showed up in Windows were scanned with check disk and passed with no errors.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
It's even more strange now. I pulled out all of the drives and put them back in one by one. I get 5 drives in and showing up in Windows just fine. I slide drive 6 in and boot up. Well now drive 6 has replaced drive 2.

Back