Server 2003 Install help

Warder45

n00b
I'm looking to install windows 2003 std. on my workstation. However when I tried to boot from the CD to install, it wouldn't go. I even blew away the old OS partition and tried again and it just hung on the F1 F2 screen. I tried the disk in a couple other computers and the same result.

If I have an OS on the HD already though and I put in the disk it starts the setup process. However when it gets to the point of picking a partition, it won't let me choose the C: as it claims there are setup files there. Even after installing the server on D: then trying to go back and install on C: it still gives me the setup files error.

Since this is my first time installing 2003 server is there something I'm missing? I'd like to have 2003 server on my C: if possible.

Thanks for any help. - John

PS- This is a legal copy so there should be no problems there.

Any chance of re-naming the D drive with the operating system on it to C ? under Windows Disk Management - Change Drive Letter option.

Just a thought.

Unfortunatly I can't blow away the C: partition in disk manager either. The delete partition choice is greyed out.

If your starting the install from inside Windows, you cant delete or format the current partition (which is C).
Are you able to boot from any other OS install CD? (meaning the PC is working right)
Is this an original / hologram 2003 CD? (if it isnt, then when it was made, it wasnt made bootable)

I'd check that you can boot to other CDs on that computer. I'd also use something like gdisk to blow away all partitions. Start with a blank, unformatted drive. As mentioned above, if the CD isn't booting on several PCs, my thought is, it's not a real CD, but a copy that wasn't made right. The best way to install Server 2003 is from booting the CD, so make sure your CD is bootable, and that the computer is set to boot from a CD. Get that problem fixed, and you'll be fine.

hmm that could be the problem. I can boot to 2 other types of CD's on the workstation and it also isn't the original disc. However another co-worker said he was able to install it normally on one of our servers.

Is there a way to make it bootable? will programs such as roxio, etc give you the option if I tried to burn it to a different disc?

Thanks.

Back