Serial number based warranties, which companies provide them?

dukenuke88

[H]ard|Gawd
I heard MSI does these serial number based warranties, where they basically provide warranty no matter which owner you are...as long as its within the warranty period...no original receipt necessary....no registering....etc

Is this true? If so, is there other companies that do this? Is it legit?

This would make buying used video cards pretty good....I mean 1 year after release of a video card, the depreciation is there...so if you are the 2nd or 3rd owner, you can save some cash, and still have 2 years left on the warranty...(MSI 3 year warranty)

Only companies for GPUs that I know of that require registration are EVGA and XFX. This is for the LLW. I could be wrong on this though there may be a few others.

i believe asus does it as their warranty isn't based on when it's registered, it's based on when it's manufactured which i admit, kinda bugs me. I lost out 7 months of warranty because i didn't buy it when it first came out.

i believe asus does it as their warranty isn't based on when it's registered, it's based on when it's manufactured which i admit, kinda bugs me. I lost out 7 months of warranty because i didn't buy it when it first came out.

damn so you bought it from a dealer who had old stock huh?

Gigabyte does this. I like it. The resources they put into the registration process are gone and can be redirected towards other, more worthy things.

Gigabyte does this. I like it. The resources they put into the registration process are gone and can be redirected towards other, more worthy things.

thanks...so doesn't matter if your the first or 4th owner? as long as you own the card you are good

That's strange. Normally they use the date of manufacture (from the serial number) unless you can provide a receipt, in which case they use the date you purchased it. Did you try providing a receipt?

Yeah that doesn't sound legal if you have a receipt of purchase. Otherwise they have an incentive to lie about the manuf date, reducing your warranty.

Only companies for GPUs that I know of that require registration are EVGA and XFX. This is for the LLW. I could be wrong on this though there may be a few others.

Yup, honestly the eVGA cards have become a "no-buy" for me unless I plan to never sell it due to this. Their resale value and potential buyer satisfaction are lower because of it.

MSI,ASUS,Gigabyte all have warranties based on S/N,and do not require a invoice for RMA.Sometime you may be able to get Sapphire to accept RMA without an invoice based on S/N,but that is not their official policy.

MSI,ASUS,Gigabyte all have warranties based on S/N,and do not require a invoice for RMA.Sometime you may be able to get Sapphire to accept RMA without an invoice based on S/N,but that is not their official policy.

sweet! thanks!

If buying a newly released/announced card grab a Asus, Gigabyte or MSI. If grabbing a card 6 months-1 year after release get a XFX/EVGA.

That's strange. Normally they use the date of manufacture (from the serial number) unless you can provide a receipt, in which case they use the date you purchased it. Did you try providing a receipt?

I agree. Date of manufacture unless you can provide a receipt sounds correct. If it was by DOM only, it should state it in the warranty.

Yup, honestly the eVGA cards have become a "no-buy" for me unless I plan to never sell it due to this. Their resale value and potential buyer satisfaction are lower because of it.

Their resale value and potential buyer satisfaction are lower to only you and small percentage of potential buyers. I know that you have been here long enough to know that EVGA is the most respected videocard brand. Not saying that you respect them, just saying that taking everyone's thoughts into account, it is held in the highest regard.

I agree. Date of manufacture unless you can provide a receipt sounds correct. If it was by DOM only, it should state it in the warranty.

Their resale value and potential buyer satisfaction are lower to only you and small percentage of potential buyers. I know that you have been here long enough to know that EVGA is the most respected videocard brand. Not saying that you respect them, just saying that taking everyone's thoughts into account, it is held in the highest regard.

It is lower to anyone that sells or buys used video cards, yes, since the new buyer would have no warranty with evga. Thus resale value is lower. Evga themselves I hold on good regard, but the nontransferable, registration required warranty hurts them. If I never sold hardware to upgrade or rarely did they would rock though.

EVGA is awful loose about their warranty policy. I worked for them for a short while I know this first hand. I have also sold tons of high end VGAs over the years from them and multiple other vendors both AMD and Nvidia. Their resale value is really about the same as far I can tell.

EVGA is awful loose about their warranty policy. I worked for them for a short while I know this first hand. I have also sold tons of high end VGAs over the years from them and multiple other vendors both AMD and Nvidia. Their resale value is really about the same as far I can tell.

what do you mean?

They are very willing to work with people and can usually come up with some sort of satisfactory solution as long as people are willing to spend the time to do it.

The resale of an evga card is just fine......even if registered.

The registered card has a lifetime warranty generally, especially if it has A1 suffix.
If sold, the original buyer just needs to help out the second buyer if the card requires an RMA.
That can be worked out in the sale details.

One can also have a second account on evga to which all intended resale cards are registered, reducing personal exposure to the buyer.

there's alot of ways to skin that cat.

Back