September 22nd?

Are you seriously saying that a dual core Core i3-2100 is going to demolish a 6 core 1090t in every work load/application out there? Edit: Whoops. I misread what you wrote, the Core i3-2100 will likely on give the Phenoms are run for their money in single threaded apps.

Yeah - stuff that doesn't thread really well, not just single threaded. Three threads is probably the limit.

I've never heard of anyone having heat problems with AMD cpu at stock settings; in fact, I'd wager the GPU is likely to factor more so in heat dissipation. I'm more than certain that the average case can hold a Phenom processor without much issue.

Not temperature; but you need a beefier (more expensive) cooler to dissipate more heat, otherwise it's going to have to be noisier or a lot hotter at that TDP - you can't make it whisper quiet with the stock cooler, or a low profile cooler.

AMD does demand more power, but the processors are about equivalent in heat dissipation.

No. If it uses more power, it outputs more heat. Power is energy, heat is energy; very little is transmitted outside the CPU, so what comes in must come out. Whether it's an issue with large cooler is debatable, with stock coolers and small poorly ventilated cases (OEM PCs anyone?) is a real issue unless you like whirring fans.

Since, for some reason I can't link to their site here, Hardware Canucks also show some interesting temps for the Core i3-2120 and Core i5-2400 in comparison to a Phenom II 1090t and Phenom 975.

Go look up the respective reviews for each on that site, and make sure to select the temperature section in each review.

Yeah well HC uses a big-ass serious cooler that has those heat loads for breakfast. That's not the point.

Well, that anandtech link I just provided showed otherwise. The 955 was putting a thrashing on the 2100 in video production. And I'm not too familiar with benches on web browsing.

I didn't take that into consideration - it's obviously faster. For transcoding, Quick Sync will give the X4 and X6 a good beating, but for production, yeah, they'll be faster. If you care about the speed of video production software, you should have the budget for faster chips, like a 2600 or even an i7 970 (or Xeon equivalents).

Only thing I saw was the watts; I've found nothing to validate the "higher" temps being an issue with AMD claim.

Once again, not temperature, but noise. To keep same noise you'll probably have to run them quite close to the limit (80-90C) which isn't too comfortable. Yeah, it'll probably work, but it's not really ideal. Plus, power draw CAN be an issue - SFX PSUs, hell, even ITX PSUs (PicoPSU and all that stuff) - drawing double for not much more performance ain't exactly an exciting proposition in SFF stuff; besides, most OEMs don't use 400-500W PSUs that we can all get for cheap - they get 200-300W and it can get quite cramped in there.

I'm completely lost now. :( Also, correction on one of the above posts, I misread something Iconik wrote.

Web browsing isn't really intensive enough to take advantage of Phenom's extra cores - even with Chrome.

After an uneventful Sep. 19th, I went ahead and ordered a Z68/2500k setup today, so im sure BD will be released within the week :D

I was at MC yesterday to pick up a cheap hdd and the only AMD processors they had in stock were two X4 840's. just a few days ago they had 10+ of just about every AMD cpu which leads me to believe they're making room for BD?

i hope amd shows some stuff tomorrow. most likely it will be canned benchmarks but at least something.

waiting game for the next comp build sucks.

waiting game for the next comp build sucks.

Truth. I'm still running an old c2d e6400...I've been waiting to see what BD brings, and at the worst maybe intel will drop the price of the 2600k. I have been waiting so freaking long now it seems, I should have just bought a SB setup and been enjoying it this whole time. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

Truth. I'm still running an old c2d e6400...I've been waiting to see what BD brings, and at the worst maybe intel will drop the price of the 2600k. I have been waiting so freaking long now it seems, I should have just bought a SB setup and been enjoying it this whole time. I'm not sure how much longer I can wait.

well, i won a i7 so that made me not grab a sandy bridge. However now i am planning to go to bulldozer or ivy bridge.

is bulldozer isnt much faster than sandy bridge, most likely i will just wait for ivy bridge.

BTW, The BD contest now ends on October 12th. Although it says that the contest begun on September 7th. Hmm. It seems like I have been filling out the form longer than that..

http://sites.amd.com/us/promo/processors/Pages/fx-rules.aspx

They just updated that, the original contest started 21 July and the drawing date was to have been on or about 9 Sept. I Also see they are now calling this "AMD FX Giveaway 2", I wonder if they plan on having two groups of winners?

Honestly dude, I upgraded from an e6400 myself (didn't want to buy somebody else was upgrading and didnt want to spend much, so I basically parted out my system) to an i7 950. It hasn't changed much of my experience to be honest. I have since upgraded to 1080p (from 720p) and added an SSD Those in particular have made a huge difference.

Buy a cheap AMD cpu with a better GPU...cheaper than a 2600k hehe. ;)

So any chances of seeing any more details on this flop of a CPU after midnight today Sept 21->22???

Nope.... Just a fan of comedy.... I'm still goona buy one... You know, it's got 8 cores.... FTW!!!!

NDA's generally lift at midnight, meaning you would see shit already....very quiet. I guess we wait another 3 weeks.

I guess we wait another 3 weeks.

Bulldozer's Life Story.

I've always gotten AMD because of their value. I do heavy graphics work that is VERY cpu dependent. I'm really considering getting the 2600K if this does not beat it. I'm tired of getting hardware that is not up to the task...

I'm seriously to the point where I'm ready to write AMD off for any of my hardware purchases.It was pretty obvious when the site in the OP removed the date that BD wasnt coming out today, but AMD is well past their own timeframe for release. We havent heard at all from them, as far as I'm concerned this is a big middle finger to us.

I'm seriously to the point where I'm ready to write AMD off for any of my hardware purchases.It was pretty obvious when the site in the OP removed the date that BD wasnt coming out today, but AMD is well past their own timeframe for release. We havent heard at all from them, as far as I'm concerned this is a big middle finger to us.

Actually while AMD hoped to have BD out and announced earlier (July). As far as I know AMD is already shipping them to OEM and has been for about a month. Right now its just the question of when AMD and the OEM's will announce retail products. That takes time and its that countdown that we are currently waiting for.

Really? AMD is giving us the big middle finger? Did they announce that today was a launch day? I was under the impression that today was just RUMORED to be a launch day. And that other supposed lauch days were just RUMORED to be such. And all the performance numbers are just RUMORED to be true. People are making shit up left and right and trusting unreliable sources (DH, SA, etc) and then get all bent out of shape when those dates and numbers aren't met. Until you hear something concrete from AMD or actual reliable sources, lets stop blaming AMD and start shitting on the people who were wrong in the first place.

For example, the link from the OP in this very thread. Are people reeeally trusting this e-tailer nobody has ever heard of over AMD? Do you think that was taken down because the date was correct? Or rather it was taken down because they're trying to pre-order unannounced hardware for unannounced/unset prices?

I'll admit that i have high hopes for bulldozer, but realistic expectations. But today wasnt anything official, so why blame AMD for that? If a fortune teller says i'm going to win the lottery tomorrow, and i don't win, do i blame the lottery for not living up to those expectations, or do i blame the fortune teller for feeding me shit?

The next release date (Oct. 12th, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1637916), is from some site i've never heard of claiming to have the official launch date, yet doesnt link to the announcement nor give any sources of where they got that information. Should i trust that date because they unfoundedly claim it to be official? No. Should i blame AMD if that site is wrong? Absolutely not. So going back to the OP's link, if this second site claims to know the official launch info, why are you so upset that this earlier, incorrect date, is wrong.

The people who do know aren't talking, and the people talking don't know. So yes, AMD gave you the middle finger cause you trusted the wrong person.

Really? AMD is giving us the big middle finger? Did they announce that today was a launch day? I was under the impression that today was just RUMORED to be a launch day. And that other supposed lauch days were just RUMORED to be such. And all the performance numbers are just RUMORED to be true. People are making shit up left and right and trusting unreliable sources (DH, SA, etc) and then get all bent out of shape when those dates and numbers aren't met. Until you hear something concrete from AMD or actual reliable sources, lets stop blaming AMD and start shitting on the people who were wrong in the first place.

For example, the link from the OP in this very thread. Are people reeeally trusting this e-tailer nobody has ever heard of over AMD? Do you think that was taken down because the date was correct? Or rather it was taken down because they're trying to pre-order unannounced hardware for unannounced/unset prices?

I'll admit that i have high hopes for bulldozer, but realistic expectations. But today wasnt anything official, so why blame AMD for that? If a fortune teller says i'm going to win the lottery tomorrow, and i don't win, do i blame the lottery for not living up to those expectations, or do i blame the fortune teller for feeding me shit?

The next release date (Oct. 12th, http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1637916), is from some site i've never heard of claiming to have the official launch date, yet doesnt link to the announcement nor give any sources of where they got that information. Should i trust that date because they unfoundedly claim it to be official? No. Should i blame AMD if that site is wrong? Absolutely not. So going back to the OP's link, if this second site claims to know the official launch info, why are you so upset that this earlier, incorrect date, is wrong.

The people who do know aren't talking, and the people talking don't know. So yes, AMD gave you the middle finger cause you trusted the wrong person.

I blame AMD because they DID lead us to believe that it would have been out by now. Contest dates. AMD stating Q3 2011. Etc. Then they dont even bother to officially state that there has been a delay. When I posted the OP, I didnt take it to be 100% accurate. The retailer's ETA date is irrelevant to my feeling this way.

There's a dude who posted over at another site who claims to have seen/held a retail box version at a popular electronics store. Word to him was apparently that they will be "on the shelves by the end of the month." If there's any truth to that then AMD would still be keeping to the Q3 '11 release, just the extreme end of Q3.

Computex was held on 1 June, during which AMD said "60-90 days" for Zambezi to "be available". That would put it at max 30 August, which is well past, so by AMD's own official statements/releases, they are late (***EDIT - Counting only business days, they have until about 28 September lol***). On 7 September JF posted a comment here saying that Zambezi will launch in Q4 of this year. If retailers have product ready for the shelf then they would be early by his comments, but still late by AMD's official press releases.

Seems like anytime someone posts a definite launch date, they are always talking out of their ass. Kinda like that guy who said the world was gonna end, then when it didn't said "I miscalculated, but you should still believe me because next time..." Personally I stopped caring about 3 months ago and bought a dog instead.

TLDR, people have a right to be disappointed because AMD failed to live up to their own timeline.

There's a dude who posted over at another site who claims to have seen/held a retail box version at a popular electronics store. Word to him was apparently that they will be "on the shelves by the end of the month." If there's any truth to that then AMD would still be keeping to the Q3 '11 release, just the extreme end of Q3.

Computex was held on 1 June, during which AMD said "60-90 days" for Zambezi to "be available". That would put it at max 30 August, which is well past, so by AMD's own official statements/releases, they are late (***EDIT - Counting only business days, they have until about 28 September lol***). On 7 September JF posted a comment here saying that Zambezi will launch in Q4 of this year. If retailers have product ready for the shelf then they would be early by his comments, but still late by AMD's official press releases.

Seems like anytime someone posts a definite launch date, they are always talking out of their ass. Kinda like that guy who said the world was gonna end, then when it didn't said "I miscalculated, but you should still believe me because next time..." Personally I stopped caring about 3 months ago and bought a dog instead.

TLDR, people have a right to be disappointed because AMD failed to live up to their own timeline.

I called it there, I call it here, too. Shenanigans. I'll believe it when I see it available for immediate order on Amazon or Newegg. Until then, I call troll.

AMD is trolling. End of Q4 they'll push it back to 2012 with no official announcement of a delay, they'll just ninja-delay like they have been. You heard it here first.

NewEgg's CS reps that troll Facebook are claiming that it's been pushed back to Oct. 13th from "what they can see".

Back