Sept 10th: You won't believe your eyes

Well the trend for new console release is every 4-5 years which would set them on debut for Late 2010 or 2011, but you may be right MS, Sony, and Nintindo may try to milk their profits for an additional year, unless it would prove economically superior to release on schedule.

200 dollar bracket in for that resolution sounds a bit low lol.

Yeah, but I'm fine with lowering settings as required, as long as the game looks good. I'll start thinking about upgrading when I can't get above "Medium" settings in games.

Well the trend for new console release is every 4-5 years which would set them on debut for Late 2010 or 2011, but you may be right MS, Sony, and Nintindo may try to milk their profits for an additional year, unless it would prove economically superior to release on schedule.

I think you're right about them milking the products but I would give it even more time. I'm willing to bet they'll wait for HDTVs to be the de facto standard of televisions before they drop their next console.

There's no way new consoles are comming in 2011, I wouldn't even bet for a new console in 2012. With Natal not even out yet, i'd guess another 2-3 years, maybe more.

Let's not forget the current economic condition.

There won't be another console for another 3-4 years. They are barely starting to make a profit. This new gen of video cards is going to be a big upgrade thats for sure i think.

There's no way new consoles are comming in 2011, I wouldn't even bet for a new console in 2012. With Natal not even out yet, i'd guess another 2-3 years, maybe more.

Indeed. Sony is just about to release the PS3 Slim, with Sony's and MSFT's motion tech being released late next year or thereabouts. Especially with the last 2 console generations rumours of the new consoles have been readily available years in advance. I really don't see a new console gen appear before 2012, not when both Sony and MSFT still haven't got the R&D money back from their respective consoles and even Nintendo has seen its cash flow reduced.

Oh, and not even the XBox (360) uses DX. It uses its own dialect of the DX APIs, making a straight port impossible. The PS3 and Wii all use OpenGL ES.

imagine no next gen console at all.
gaming consoles will come to an end sooner or later.
pcs in the household are already standard.
when laptops become the standard in all levels of school and are powerful enough to handle then current gaming i'm sure the market will shift to pc gaming and all efforts toward advanced home and portable consoles like the ps3 and psp will come to an end.

then down the road when tech advances even further we'll probably have no laptops at all but little netphones like the apple iTech or something. o.0

when laptops become the standard in all levels of school and are powerful enough to handle then current gaming i'm sure the market will shift to pc gaming and all efforts toward advanced home and portable consoles like the ps3 and psp will come to an end.

then down the road when tech advances even further we'll probably have no laptops at all but little netphones like the apple iTech or something. o.0
That will never happen unless a. PCs get substantially cheaper and easier to upgrade (for the avg person) and b. they would have to have a separate os of some sort dedicated to your games something like the xmb or nxe but I think consoles are here to stay awhile as a pcs which make gaming on consoles possible in the first place. I can only see that being possible if we hit a limit in computing power or graphics and CPU are so advanced more so than developers could harness for a while.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I'm actually happy with this. Not having to upgrade hardware every couple of years is one of the advantages of a console. Although that could translate to "shittier" graphics on PCs as they continue to make games cross platform.

If anyone needs to release a new console it's nintendo. I could see them having the first next gen console. They definately have their niche market locked down but they need to get with the times graphically.

PS3 is a very capable machine, they just need more games and a lower price point. They are going to milk this system for along time to try and get back into the black.I'm also worried that the PS3 slim will over heat.

The xbox continues to own with their solid gaming library and excellent online play.

Plus I haven't heard any rumors. You would think that if a next gen console was going to be released you would hear something about it.

This is the complete opposite of what is actually happening. If anything PCs are dying and consoles are getting more and more popular. You can already see that PC gaming has slowed down considerably. And when was the last time you saw the market able to support 3 consoles? PCs are still too expensive and complicated to use for the average person. Also with the ability to play online games and surf the web from the comfort of your couch, consoles have crossed the last advantage that PCs had over consoles.

This is the complete opposite of what is actually happening. If anything PCs are dying and consoles are getting more and more popular. You can already see that PC gaming has slowed down considerably. And when was the last time you saw the market able to support 3 consoles? PCs are still too expensive and complicated to use for the average person. Also with the ability to play online games and surf the web from the comfort of your couch, consoles have crossed the last advantage that PCs had over consoles.

True. Though in a way I'm glad. It's kind of like moving out of shared accommodation. People can now go to where they are comfortable :)

BIG UPDATE;

http://www.dvhardware.net/article37291.html
ATI CTO for graphics Eric Demers told FUD Zilla that the upcoming RV870 will be a huge leap forward compared to the R600 and RV770 GPUs:

ATI’s CTO (Chief Technology Officer) for graphics, Eric Demers has confirmed that the chip that they call Evergreen, DX11 is the biggest conceptual change since the time ATI has introduced rather unsuccessful R600. R600 is the last core change in ATI's GPU design.

The RV770 can be seen as R600 done right, with lower power consumption, smaller transistors and a brand new GDDR5 memory controller, but it was not built from the ground up. At the same time, RV870 should be a huge leap forward in ATI’s chip design compared to R600, RV770, Eric confirms.

http://www.dvhardware.net/article37292.html
Evergreen DX11 (RV870) GPU will be announced in late September, but that it will be soft launch without broad availability of the cards. The site claims the RV870 won't be available in significant quantity until Q4 2009. This could mean October, while NVIDIA's GT300 isn't expected until November.

This will occur in the last days of Q3 2009, while significant shipments and cards in volume should come in Q4 2009. Nvidia won’t have its “GT300” card before late Q4 2009, probably November time.

BIG UPDATE;

http://www.dvhardware.net/article37291.html
ATI CTO for graphics Eric Demers told FUD Zilla that the upcoming RV870 will be a huge leap forward compared to the R600 and RV770 GPUs:

ATI’s CTO (Chief Technology Officer) for graphics, Eric Demers has confirmed that the chip that they call Evergreen, DX11 is the biggest conceptual change since the time ATI has introduced rather unsuccessful R600. R600 is the last core change in ATI's GPU design.

The RV770 can be seen as R600 done right, with lower power consumption, smaller transistors and a brand new GDDR5 memory controller, but it was not built from the ground up. At the same time, RV870 should be a huge leap forward in ATI’s chip design compared to R600, RV770, Eric confirms.

Sounds like marketing mumbo jumbo- we'll see how "huge" of a leap it will really be. Not that I don't think it's possible, but I ain't going to get my hopes up. I wish us all luck, us 30" monitor users need more power!

No, it isn't in all cases.

Like the one I linked, 285 got beaten.

Most games the differences are within a margin of error so it is more like a draw if anything.

And with the latest drivers and the claims ATI and others are making it could be in ATi's favour.

A small point.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33942935&page=16
Update on 8-17-09 at 1:38 PM: TechPulse 360 is reporting that the new GPUs will be released on September 10th of this year.

At least, close enough that AMD showed it in action to both PC Perspective and Legit Reviews at QuakeCon last week. The sneak preview involved a look at the new Wolfenstein title, showing how the new hardware handles current-gen games, plus some tech demos showcasing new DirectX 11 features.

The two sites got a look at tessellation, soft shadows, and ambient occlusion running in DX11 mode. PC Perspective noted that the first demo registered 78.2 FPS at 2560x1600 with vsync disabled, and that the same demo identified the new GPU as simply "FUTURE CARD." Meanwhile, the Legit Reviews folks tried to get a peek inside the case, but AMD only let them get as close as the rear display output ports (dual-DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort).

AMD first showed its DX11 silicon in wafer form two months ago at the Computex trade show in Taiwan. While talking to people around the show floor, we learned that the hardware could be ready for a launch in late September or early October.

The word is finally out. AMD will launch it’s much anticipated next generation graphics processors code name “Evergreen” on September 10th; ahead of Windows 7’s launch in late October..

For AMD, these 40-nm, Microsoft DX11-compliant GPUs will fundamentally change the graphics industry and give it a clear advantage over Nvidia, again!

The prior generation of ATI cards was such high performance and so cheap that they forced Nvidia to hastily put together competitive video cards.

i guess.
i don't see pcs dying. i see consoles transforming into pcs. consoles are supposed to be specialized for gaming, but they have picked up keyboard internet hard drives movies music, etc. once they have a decent OS and the ability to do work on they are pretty much pcs.
advanced gaming consoles will merge into pcs.
if there is a future for gaming consoles it'll probably be something gimmicky like the wii, not cutting edge like ps3

i guess.
i don't see pcs dying. i see consoles transforming into pcs. consoles are supposed to be specialized for gaming, but they have picked up keyboard internet hard drives movies music, etc. once they have a decent OS and the ability to do work on they are pretty much pcs.
if there is a future for gaming consoles it'll probably be something gimmicky like the wii, not cutting edge like ps3

Except for one fatal flaw in your theory: why would MS and Sony, two huge players in the PC market(one software, one hardware), ruin the billions they make out of the PC market?

There is a reason why neither company supports the mouse and keyboards available to their systems. why simple applications like word, excel, etc are non-existent.

the market has supported more than 3 consoles in the past. before msft it was nintendo sony and sega and atari

This would almost be exciting if there was a single damn game to play using this. This is like launching a new lawnmower in the middle of winter.

the market has supported more than 3 consoles in the past. before msft it was nintendo sony and sega and atari

What does that have to do with Sony and MS in no way at all allowing consoles to replace PCs?

What you are posting makes no sense at all, it would almost instantly kill Sony and MS business wise. They would be hemorrhaging so much money that they would not be able to stay in business for longer than 6 months.

MS dominates the PC market. They own so much of the market it is all but a monopoly. Today, you have alternate choices to going with an OS made by MS, yet they still, after decades, dominate the market. people are not going to switch to a new 'PC' format when it would kill the use of their existing software, forcing them to re-buy everything.

What you are posting will never happen and in no way is based in reality.

Except for one fatal flaw in your theory: why would MS and Sony, two huge players in the PC market(one software, one hardware), ruin the billions they make out of the PC market?

There is a reason why neither company supports the mouse and keyboards available to their systems. why simple applications like word, excel, etc are non-existent.

it just hasn't happened yet.
and i dunno about xbox but i have logitechs kb and its ps3 certified.
why would they lose $?
their sales already lag behind the weaker wii and i don't even know if sony has even recouped their R&D investments into the ps3 yet. if they have i don't see their profits being anything spectacular.
Investing into R&D for a next gen console could lose them big $ if it doesn't sell.

Last edited:
it just hasn't happened yet.
and i dunno about xbox but i have logitechs kb and its ps3 certified.
why would they lose $.
their sales already lag behind the weaker wii and i don't even know if sony has even recouped their R&D investments into the ps3 yet. if they have i don't see their profits being anything spectacular.

They would lose money because you are cutting out the PROFITABLE business(PC's) and going full bore into consoles that lose money each time they sell one!

Being PS3 'certified' for a KB or mouse means nothing. The actual programs taking advantage of them does.

They would lose money because you are cutting out the PROFITABLE business(PC's) and going full bore into consoles that lose money each time they sell one!

Being PS3 'certified' for a KB or mouse means nothing. The actual programs taking advantage of them does.

dude. read my early post. i'm saying consoles will die we will only be left with pcs. not the other way around.

dude. read my early post. i'm saying consoles will die we will only be left with pcs. not the other way around.

No, you said transformed into PCs and once they have a good OS will merge into PC's.

What you said was consoles taking over the PC market. Clearly said it.

i guess.

someone posted that pcs were dying toward consoles. i was just explaining how consoles are becoming like pcs and pcs are not dying. if you want to be very clear read the last line of what you quoted from me.

and there is my original post. i hope that is clear enough for you.

Back