• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Seperate drive for pagefile question

mrgstiffler

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 20, 2000
Messages
13,410
I know a lot of people put their pagefile on a different drive to increase performance. I'm wondering you do with programs and games. Do you put them on the OS drive or the drive with the pagefile? What seems to give the most benefit?
 
I havent personally done this, but it would make sense that the applications you want better performance from would not be on the same drive as the pagefile, so that if things need to get paged when you're, say loading a map in a game, the drive that's being loaded from and drive being paged to are different.
 
Also it's even better if the drives are on separate channels (i.e. one SATA and one IDE drive, or even different IDE cables).
 
If you have so little memory that the pagefile matters, you're better off getting more memory.

You should measure how much paging you're doing to disk.
 
I have 2 x 512MB. I know I should have another GB in there. I plan to do that here soon. Everytime I play BF2 there is a TON of paging going on. The pagefile gets up to around 800MB-1GB+.
 
Back
Top