SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Does anyone know if there's a difference between the Gigabyte 1080 Gaming G1 and the Windforce 3x? I don't care about the backplate, but if there's a difference in cooling I would concider spending more for the G1...

Get a blower-style cooled 1080, either the Founder's Edition or one of the iterations of those. They are the recommended type of card for the Sentry, because:
1) they blow out all the hot air outside of the case
2) they are quite efficient by usually employing a vapor chamber
3) there is not enough air circulation in the GPU chamber for efficiently dissipating hot air on an open-air GPU
4) usually they come on cards with a normal sized PCB, which means they will fit without issues

Get a blower-style cooled 1080, either the Founder's Edition or one of the iterations of those. They are the recommended type of card for the Sentry, because:
1) they blow out all the hot air outside of the case
2) they are quite efficient by usually employing a vapor chamber
3) there is not enough air circulation in the GPU chamber for efficiently dissipating hot air on an open-air GPU
4) usually they come on cards with a normal sized PCB, which means they will fit without issues

Yeah, the MSI Aero hit 90°C+ easily when I started a game. I know it doesn't have a vapor camber, but is it such a big deal? Will the vapor chamber cool the 1080 more than 3 fans?

Has anyone tried the 1080 Gaming G1 or Windforce? I'd like to know what temps other people are having...

Yeah, the MSI Aero hit 90°C+ easily when I started a game. I know it doesn't have a vapor camber, but is it such a big deal? Will the vapor chamber cool the 1080 more than 3 fans?

Has anyone tried the 1080 Gaming G1 or Windforce? I'd like to know what temps other people are having...

My 1080 FE stays around 70-75C during most gaming. That said, if you're sold on the open air cooler, I'd recommend using weatherstripping or something rubber to seal the perimeter of the face of the card to the perimeter of the vent on the case. That will ensure the gpu fans only draw in cool outside air and create a large amount of positive pressure inside the case which would prevent hot air from accumulating. Or if you have a 3d printer there was a guy that created custom ducts for his gpu in a node 202. Worked pretty well iirc. With a blower cooler such sealing/ducting is less necessary in a small case, but I did it myself anyway.

The only problem is that fe cards are too expensive right now :/ I would buy a 1070, but they are almost as expensive as 1080s... Even worse is that I have sold my msi gaming x 1070 back in may. For practically nothing.

But I always liked the idea that fans will turn off when it's cold enough... if that even happens in the sentry. But I searched the thread and didn't find any mention of a 1080 gaming g1 used in a sentry.

The main problem is that you have 3 fans that draw cool air which then turns into hot air that's distributed all around the GPU chamber increasing the ambient temperature inside of it. There's not enough air circulation in there to get rid of it effectively. This is why a blower card is superior inside the Sentry, because it forces all the air to go outside of the case. The vapour chamber is just an added benefit to cool the card more efficiently with only a single fan available.

If you already have the card, I would recommend the same thing that others already mentioned - try to wing it and come up with a creative solution ;) This can include:
1) modding the case to mount some small fan(s) inside the GPU chamber (I think someone here did this with 3x40mm fans? was it Ej24?)
2) modding the GPU cooler by somehow sealing the sides of the card and basically forcing the air to blow out the back (this might backfire since the card was designed as open-air, but worth a shot)

You can also try selling your card and hunting down a blower somewhere, the prices are stupid, but that means you could get a decent amount for your GPU as well...

The main problem is that you have 3 fans that draw cool air which then turns into hot air that's distributed all around the GPU chamber increasing the ambient temperature inside of it. There's not enough air circulation in there to get rid of it effectively. This is why a blower card is superior inside the Sentry, because it forces all the air to go outside of the case. The vapour chamber is just an added benefit to cool the card more efficiently with only a single fan available.

If you already have the card, I would recommend the same thing that others already mentioned - try to wing it and come up with a creative solution ;) This can include:
1) modding the case to mount some small fan(s) inside the GPU chamber (I think someone here did this with 3x40mm fans? was it Ej24?)
2) modding the GPU cooler by somehow sealing the sides of the card and basically forcing the air to blow out the back (this might backfire since the card was designed as open-air, but worth a shot)

You can also try selling your card and hunting down a blower somewhere, the prices are stupid, but that means you could get a decent amount for your GPU as well...

I did add some 40mm fans and I'm not really sure what benefit they add,if at all. With a case this small you have to think of it more like a laptop cooling where the hot components draw in cold air directly and exhaust hot air almost immediately. There is no airflow patterns or case fans here. No directing fresh cool air from side to side or front to back. The gpu and cpu directly draw their own cool air. Sealing the intake to the case ensures this. Exhaust becomes passive due to positive pressure.

Is there really no way to separate the compartments? I feel this would be one solution to really help open-air 1080 Ti's, though I doubt I'm the only one.

Is there really no way to separate the compartments? I feel this would be one solution to really help open-air 1080 Ti's, though I doubt I'm the only one.

It might help the temperature of the CPU be cooler, but why would it help the gpu be cooler when the issue is that it's recirculating its own exhaust?

So I got my Asrock B350 ITX board yesterday! I've been looking at measurements for clearance on the DIMM slots. I've attached a picture of measuring from the edge of the board to the end of the RAM chip, and it looks like it's 25mm of space. Can someone with a sentry tell me how far the 2.5 drive bracket hangs over the edge of the board before it ends? I'm wondering if there is any chance I will avoid the DIMM clearance limitation. Thank you!

Edit: I should note that I looked over the manual and didn't see a measurements section, but I also understand with these cases everyone's use-case is going to, at some point, ask for almost every conceivable measurement.

IMG_20170718_201732.jpg

Last edited:
I finished my build minus the GPU. Waiting for Vega before I decide. Check it out: http://imgur.com/gallery/cRCO3

Oh, one thing to note. Be gentle with the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. I broke a pin and now my front left USB port doesn't work :'(

Also, Gr8Scott, I took pictures of the RAM with the SSD bracket attached to the case. Looks like you're clear!

Last edited:
I finished my build minus the GPU. Waiting for Vega before I decide. Check it out: http://imgur.com/gallery/cRCO3

Oh, one thing to note. Be gentle with the USB 3.0 header on the motherboard. I broke a pin and now my front left USB port doesn't work :'(

Also, Gr8Scott, I took pictures of the RAM with the SSD bracket attached to the case. Looks like you're clear!

Next time rotate cooler before pulling it, so it doesn't pull the cpu with it. Also it helps if cpu is still warm.

RMA it quickly they will give you a replacement if you are still within 30 days of purchase.

RMA it quickly they will give you a replacement if you are still within 30 days of purchase.
Nah, it's ok. I broke it so it's not their fault. Besides, if I end up needing more ports, I could opt for a hub. If I'm feeling extra fancy, I could solder on a new header. I don't use a lot of peripherals anyway.

YES!!! You are the bomb Justice Ranger ! That's exactly what I needed to know and it's physically my exact use-case!

I'm getting F4-3000C14D-16GTZR b/c I wanted dat 14 CAS, but it's the exact same chip otherwise!

Oh boy, my R7 1700X, ASRock AB350 ITX, and T318 are in! Waiting on RAM tomorrow and just realized I forgot to buy a fan, oops. This'll be an exciting upgrade and build!

Reactions: Ej24
like this
For all the fellow Sentry lovers based in Poland - the ASRock AM4 ITX boards are here!!!

https://www.morele.net/plyta-glowna...a3-ddr4-usb3-0-mitx-90-mxb5p0-a0uayz-1413827/
https://www.morele.net/plyta-glowna...a3-ddr4-usb3-0-mitx-90-mxb5n0-a0uayz-1413821/

The AB350 price is a bit steep, while the X370 is plain ridiculous, but you can get them while their hot... availability will probably be an issue later (as with the Gigabyte).

Ordered my AB350 with a Dynatron T318 and NF-A9x14. I'll throw in a Ryzen 1700 a bit later, and need to find some compatible 2x16GB DDR4 sticks. Pretty sure I'm gonna go with the G. Skill 3200/CL14 Tridentz - super stoked to see that they aren't colliding with the 2.5" drive bracket when mounted on the ASRock board :)

/edit
AB350 is already unavailable, even my order was cancelled due to an error with the supplier... Luckily they give me a 10% discount on the X370 so I stomached taking it instead. At least I'll get the faster WiFi card and hopefully the front seat for bios updates.

Last edited:
Code:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OBakpOngHpbeAaUKV0FzQX2qHQEf-EaqRn4XMIXWO4E/[email protected]&ts=5921ddce&actionButton=1#gid=547611973

seems like i have to delid my cpu....

This Is ok? For sentry? Many people ask for this (Sorry for my english)

Attachments

• IMG-20170720-WA0001-01.jpeg
    IMG-20170720-WA0001-01.jpeg
    87.6 KB · Views: 75
This Is ok? For sentry? Many people ask for this (Sorry for my english)

Open air, high TDP cards like these are not recommended. It will most likely throttle and lower down the clocks. An open air structure is normally an advantage in bigger, well ventilated cases, but it's a disadvantage in the Sentry due to the very limited air flow.

If you insist on a 1080ti, something like this could be a better option (blower cards are recommended for Sentry):
https://www.morele.net/karta-grafic...it-2x-hdmi-2x-dp-box-90yv0an0-m0nm00-1204006/
https://www.morele.net/karta-grafic...52-bit-hdmi-3x-dp-box-zt-p10810a-10p-1176648/

I assume you are from Poland, so the price is good as well ;) Not that far off from a regular 1080 at the moment... Actually in case of this store, it's pretty much the same price, lol. You could get the same Asus model on a regular 1080 for only 400zl (~110$) less. I didn't want to get a 1080ti myself, but with this pricing it's definitely worth it.

Last edited:
Black case order ID 719

Wow team Ząber is doing work! I thought they were still shipping orders from the 3 or 4 hundreds. It seems like they'll finish shipping to all the backers soon. Hopefully they're able to bring the case to full retail. They'd own the whole sff market if they did.

Hi i have some result from my build that i want to share with you guys:
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.7GHz - 1.28v
Cryorig C7 + noctua A9 1900 rpm
Asrock AB350 itx gaming- io panel off
G.Skill flare x 16GB @ 3200MHz
KFA2 Gtx 1080 ti EX OC constant boost 2075MHz + 500 MHz memory (it is an open air vga) + 80% fan
Corsair SF600
1 intel 600p 512 GB + samsung 1TB 850 pro
Stressed with aida 64 (CPU + FPU + Cache + memory + VGA)
Ambient temp: 15°C (Finland is cold)
Cpu temp: 83°C
Vga temp: 75°C
Intel 600p temp: 68°C
Samsung 850pro temp: 56°C
I really recommend open air gtx 1080 ti, from my experience it is cooler and quieter than blower one (note that i live in finland so it may help)
Do not use cryorig, turbulence is just to loud :D

Last edited:
Hi i have some result from my build that i want to share with you guys:
Ryzen 7 1700 @3.7GHz - 1.28v
Cryorig C7 + noctua A9 1900 rpm
Asrock AB350 itx gaming- io panel off
G.Skill flare x 16GB @ 3200MHz
KFA2 Gtx 1080 ti EX OC constant boost 2075MHz + 500 MHz memory (it is an open air vga) + 80% fan
Corsair SF600
1 intel 600p 512 GB + samsung 1TB 850 pro
Stressed with aida 64 (CPU + FPU + Cache + memory + VGA)
Ambient temp: 15°C (Finland is cold)
Cpu temp: 83°C
Vga temp: 75°C
Intel 600p temp: 68°C
Samsung 850pro temp: 56°C
I really recommend open air gtx 1080 ti, from my experience it is cooler and quieter than blower one (note that i live in finland so it may help)
Do not use cryorig, turbulence is just to loud :D
Thanks very much!
Does the RAM fit under the drive bracket or aren't you using it?

I recommend G.Skill flare X 3200 MHz cl14 too, in asrock ab350 bios i just choose xmp and it runs perfectly, will try to overclock ram tomorrow.

o_O mine is a black case - order ID 679, but I haven't received any tracking number yet. Hopefully it ships soon, otherwise I can't take it to Siggraph :(

Your package was already sent with current shipment, but our transport company has some web system update, so it is possible that you will get your tracking number with a one or two days delay.

Your package was already sent with current shipment, but our transport company has some web system update, so it is possible that you will get your tracking number with a one or two days delay.
That's awesome, thank you ZombiPL!
I'm looking forward to receive it and appreciate all the hard work that you guys have put into this :joyful:

Just to be sure, order ID 678, the tracking number will be sent to my e-mail? By the transport company themselves?
*I need to know this because the spam-filter seems to treat all the Indiegogo campaign updates as spam...

Just to be sure, order ID 678, the tracking number will be sent to my e-mail? By the transport company themselves?
*I need to know this because the spam-filter seems to treat all the Indiegogo campaign updates as spam...

In Europe backers are getting tracking numbers from courier companies to their email addresses. For packages which were/are/will be sent outside Europe you should also receive this number from transport company but in this situation we are additionally sending another message from our sentry mailbox just to be sure that you received it.

Back