SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Bad news for my Sentry. Looks like the RX470 dun shat itself.

Last edited:
So over the weekend I finally got my SENTRY put together. It was a great, fun experience and I couldn't be happier with the case.

I'll do a full build post later but for now I'll just post a couple teaser photos of the case in action.

Specs:

ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac
i7 7700k delidded
ZOTAC GTX 1060 Amp!
CFX Ballistix 32GB
Thermolab LP53 CPU Cooler + Noctua A9x14
Silverstone SFX 600W SX600-G
an old Samsung 840 SSD 250Gb [bought 4 years ago]
DR ZABER SENTRY case

View attachment 29996 View attachment 29997

I haven't done benchmarks or anything yet. I installed Windows 10 and went straight to playing games.

more soon! and a huge thanks to ZABER team.

Cool build! Thanks for sharing! Do you notice any concerns for the Silverstone PSU noise? I know some people said that it was loud for them under load. I was interested if you had experienced any of that. Thanks!

SaperPL ZombiPL (Order ID 422 - First shipment of white cases, coming up on to 7 weeks.) So I contacted my local customs office today with no real help from them. They told me to contact USPS and the shipper. So I contacted USPS and according to them the package hasn't left Poland and that the shipper would need to do an International inquiry. From there because the package is insured via priority mail the shipper can get a refund and either refund or try sending out another package. I'm personally in no real rush, but I figured it didn't hurt to make some calls to see what was up. Just wanted to let you guys know what their responses were. I can patiently wait 2 more weeks to see if it actually comes in.

I was one of the 10 or so cases shipped to the US that hadn't received the case nor had any updates on shipping status. It's been 2 months and 5 days, but finally this morning at 7am it arrived at my local post office and will be delivered today. Can't wait to get home and check it out! All my parts that I ordered will be in by Wednesday (except my NH-l9i -> AM4 bracket which will take 10-18 days). I haven't ordered a GPU yet because I'm waiting too see how RX Vega performs at the end of the month. I'll be buying a $20-$40 GPU just to see if all my parts are functioning, then I'll return it. I'll come back with some pictures once I get my hands on the case.

SaperPL ZombiPL (Order ID 422 - First shipment of white cases, coming up on to 7 weeks.) So I contacted my local customs office today with no real help from them. They told me to contact USPS and the shipper. So I contacted USPS and according to them the package hasn't left Poland and that the shipper would need to do an International inquiry. From there because the package is insured via priority mail the shipper can get a refund and either refund or try sending out another package. I'm personally in no real rush, but I figured it didn't hurt to make some calls to see what was up. Just wanted to let you guys know what their responses were. I can patiently wait 2 more weeks to see if it actually comes in.

Just few minutes ago USPS updated information for several packages from 5th of May. It means if your package was sent on 25th of May then you may need to wait a little bit longer, because it is very probable that USPS or US customs services can still keep your package without giving each other any information about it. If we knew US and customs postal system works in such way we would never pick this form of transport. At this moment the only side who can give you/us the proper information is the USPS or your local customs service office. This is the only information we have from our transport company representative. We can start a refund procedure with USPS and Poczta Polska, but we were informed we will be waiting for answer up to 3 months (because of slow actions taken by USPS) and within that time almost all packages are being delivered. I'm not sure it is worth it, if now it looks like delivery can be a matter of days if not hours...

I just checked everything once again, and from those missing packages today USPS updated tracking for 9 of them. It means for USA there are still something like 6 packages which are waiting for their registration in USPS system.

I'll be buying a $20-$40 GPU just to see if all my parts are functioning, then I'll return it.

I agree with pendragon1, you should also look at Craigslist and even the Facebook Marketplace as they'll havbe plenty of cheap cards to test your Ryzen build. Please don't buy something with the intent to use it and return it once you're satisfied.

Last edited:
that's not cool. buy a cheap card to keep as a back up. buying and returning a card just to test leaves the next buyer with a used card or the store with open/used product that might not sell.

I second that.
I keep one cheap AMD card, Radeon HD 7750 (used to be my main gpu many years ago, and still supported under current drivers!) and one cheap Nvidia card, gt710 for troubleshooting purposes. If it's only $30 then keep it.

that's not cool. buy a cheap card to keep as a back up. buying and returning a card just to test leaves the next buyer with a used card or the store with open/used product that might not sell.

I agree with pendragon1, you should also look at Craigslist and even the Facebook Marketplace as they'll havbe plenty of cheap cards to test your Ryzen build. Please don't buy something with the intent to use it and return it once you're satisfied.

I second that.
I keep one cheap AMD card, Radeon HD 7750 (used to be my main gpu many years ago, and still supported under current drivers!) and one cheap Nvidia card, gt710 for troubleshooting purposes. If it's only $30 then keep it.

See, I was going to just keep it, but the guys at Microcenter told me to buy an open box GPU and then return it once I was done testing. I will probably keep it because of the benefit of having a card dedicated for troubleshooting.

Last edited:
Hi guys, i got my sentry today from ups, box is perfect but i noticed some noise when shake the box, got home and found the air pocket panel flew off its place(like dimitry video). Maybe ups tossed it so hard that the panel came off.
Also i noticed the panel was bent a little and it is longer than the cover panel (is it supposed to be design like that?)

Attachments

• 14997094221891248461550.jpg
    14997094221891248461550.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 1499709454018456055873.jpg
    1499709454018456055873.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 14997094694052131739048.jpg
    14997094694052131739048.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 92
  • 14997094934081065873609.jpg
    14997094934081065873609.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 87
See, I was going to just keep it, but the guys at Microcenter told me to buy an open box GPU and then return it once I was done testing. I will probably keep it because I didn't think about the benefits of having a card dedicated for troubleshooting.
I'm sure his manager would be real happy about that, telling you to "rent" a card for testing...
just get something cheap and yes keep it.

Hi guys, i got my sentry today from ups, box is perfect but i noticed some noise when shake the box, got home and found the air pocket panel flew off its place(like dimitry video). Maybe ups tossed it so hard that the panel came off.
Also i noticed the panel was bent a little and it is longer than the cover panel (is it supposed to be design like that?)

This is definitely not normal. This bend looks like someone intentionally wanted to open the case in the wrong way or wanted to disassemble the top cover's insertion. Please write us an email with details about the package condition (signs of opening the box) and your order information.

This is definitely not normal. This bend looks like someone intentionally wanted to open the case in the wrong way or wanted to disassemble the top cover's insertion. Please write us an email with details about the package condition (signs of opening the box) and your order information.
Already emailed you guys, i think the bent is from the fact that it is sandwich between top cover and the case's middle wall and went it came off + it is heavy + ups tossed the case around = force that bent it

Already emailed you guys, i think the bent is from the fact that it is sandwich between top cover and the case's middle wall and went it came off + it is heavy + ups tossed the case around = force that bent it

To damage the cover in this way the whole transport box has to be dropped from a big height or you must use some real force to detach this insertion. Don't worry. We will solve this problem.

Cool build! Thanks for sharing! Do you notice any concerns for the Silverstone PSU noise? I know some people said that it was loud for them under load. I was interested if you had experienced any of that. Thanks!

I haven't tested the Silverstone PSU under load, but it is definitely the noisiest part of my build, and I've been thinking hard about replacing it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it at this point.

When seated at arms length from the Sentry, I can hear the the PSU and the fan has kind of a light grindy noise which I really dislike. I noticed it immediately.
However I took the Sentry and put it by the TV, and now when seated about 1.5 meters from the computer I don't hear the noise so much.

Also, there are some esthetic concerns. The Silverstone SX600 has a sticker on it, but this sticker shows through the vent holes. :(

IMG_20170708_163017-COLLAGE.jpg

The Silverstone cables are not too stiff (I think a thinner gauge) and were easy to work with. But I am starting to think hard about getting the Corsair 450 instead and the custom cables. I think I chose the Silverstone because I could get 600W for the same price as the Corsair 450, and it is widely available here in Japan whereas the Corsair was not in the shops.

EDIT: Oh yeah, another thing. The socket for the power cable (to the wall) is quite close to the edge of the power supply, and the direction of the socket doesn't work well for Sentry. It forced me to make quite a tight turn on the cable....

IMG_20170708_121253-COLLAGE.jpg

Last edited:
EDIT: Oh yeah, another thing. The socket for the power cable (to the wall) is quite close to the edge of the power supply, and the direction of the socket doesn't work well for Sentry. It forced me to make quite a tight turn on the cable....

That's one of the reason our IEC C13 connector on this end has soft cover so you can bend it like that. We knew that there's no standardisation on how the C14 socket is oriented and it was quite a problem to figure out how to handle it with the internal pass-through power cord.

I haven't tested the Silverstone PSU under load, but it is definitely the noisiest part of my build, and I've been thinking hard about replacing it. I certainly wouldn't recommend it at this point.

When seated at arms length from the Sentry, I can hear the the PSU and the fan has kind of a light grindy noise which I really dislike. I noticed it immediately.
However I took the Sentry and put it by the TV, and now when seated about 1.5 meters from the computer I don't hear the noise so much.

Also, there are some esthetic concerns. The Silverstone SX600 has a sticker on it, but this sticker shows through the vent holes. :(

View attachment 30076

The Silverstone cables are not too stiff (I think a thinner gauge) and were easy to work with. But I am starting to think hard about getting the Corsair 450 instead and the custom cables. I think I chose the Silverstone because I could get 600W for the same price as the Corsair 450, and it is widely available here in Japan whereas the Corsair was not in the shops.

View attachment 30077
LOL! Same as mine, one of simplest ways is to use a BLACK paper past on it!

Hi guys, I've still been lurking through this entire thread.

I'm Order 1186 and I can still edit my shipping address on Indiegogo. Based on these comments about 6/8-week shipping, should I be expecting the Sentry in October or something? I've been trying to keep up on the info, but it's getting hard to follow a 112-page thread. Any estimates? Not expecting a team member to respond or anything; just looking for a general timeframe.

Thanks!

I'm Order 1186 and I can still edit my shipping address on Indiegogo. Based on these comments about 6/8-week shipping, should I be expecting the Sentry in October or something? I've been trying to keep up on the info, but it's getting hard to follow a 112-page thread. Any estimates? Not expecting a team member to respond or anything; just looking for a general timeframe.

Thanks!

We're over 8 weeks from time of shipping, and I still haven't received mine, although the tracking info has finally started updating again. Others received their cases much faster. So as far as an estimate...it looks like anywhere from 2 to 9 weeks from the time it leaves Poland. I'm not sure why the shipping company is telling Dr. Zaber to tell us to contact USPS. They tell you absolutely nothing that you can't see for yourself from the tracking. Unless customs specifically contacts you about the shipment, you will not get any further information about it being held, for any reason. You'll just have to sit tight until it arrives. If it doesn't, you should buckle up for a (likely) 5-6 month wait while the claim gets sorted out.

Thanks!

We're over 8 weeks from time of shipping, and I still haven't received mine, although the tracking info has finally started updating again. Others received their cases much faster. So as far as an estimate...it looks like anywhere from 2 to 9 weeks from the time it leaves Poland. I'm not sure why the shipping company is telling Dr. Zaber to tell us to contact USPS. They tell you absolutely nothing that you can't see for yourself from the tracking. Unless customs specifically contacts you about the shipment, you will not get any further information about it being held, for any reason. You'll just have to sit tight until it arrives. If it doesn't, you should buckle up for a (likely) 5-6 month wait while the claim gets sorted out.

I think we couldn't describe this whole situation any better... :(

I'm not sure why the shipping company is telling Dr. Zaber to tell us to contact USPS.

The answer to this question showed up few days ago:

One of our backers went to USPS office on 7th of July (2017-07-7 Friday) and asked about his package. They said they don't have it and they don't know anything about such package. Another day his tracking number was updated with information: "Item arrived to the delivery office 2017-06-12". It means that, his package was held in the warehouse for almost a month but no one decided to register it into the system. Our influence on USPS in such situation is almost none. It's the worst contact with the transport company we have ever had. We can only wait and constantly scare them with a refund claims (which we are doing all the time). Fortunately tracking information for most missing packages showed up again, so at least we know those packages weren't lost.

As promised, I'm back with a picture. I don't have all the parts yet so it's not put together. I was Order #25 so first shipment, but to the US. It took 8 weeks and 5 days to arrive. My Sentry was #23.

WP_20170710_21_52_25_Rich_LI.jpg

Edit: ZombiPL, SaperPL my packaging was near flawless. The outer box was almost punctured but it didn't break through.

Last edited:
Got Sentry yesterday--shipped out May 8, arrived July 10. I've bumbled my way through most of this build, but I am stuck on the riser.

IMG_20170711_092231.jpg

Pretty sure it's not supposed to stick out that much, but that's the farthest I can pull it back without putting riser PCB between the screwholes. What am I doing wrong?

The screws are NOT supposed to go through the holes in the riser - push the riser in the gap as far as possible including those small notches on the lower surface fitting the notches on bottom of the riser's pci-e slot. Then put the screws in front of the riser's pcb.

Check out the online manual for reference here: zaber.com.pl/sentry/manual.pdf

Got Sentry yesterday--shipped out May 8, arrived July 10. I've bumbled my way through most of this build, but I am stuck on the riser.

View attachment 30159

Pretty sure it's not supposed to stick out that much, but that's the farthest I can pull it back without putting riser PCB between the screwholes. What am I doing wrong?
Not sure if you can see from my build and photos (https://hardforum.com/threads/sentr...-case-project.1832126/page-95#post-1043037703), but from this angle it might help: https://hardforum.com/attachments/05-fixed-jpg.26699/

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask. Does anyone know where I can get a sentry case?(Either brand new or used is fine). The fundraiser page seems to be closed and the zaber site doesn't allow purchases through it looks like. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. I live in the UK if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Hi guys,

Sorry if this is not the appropriate place to ask. Does anyone know where I can get a sentry case?(Either brand new or used is fine). The fundraiser page seems to be closed and the zaber site doesn't allow purchases through it looks like. If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful. I live in the UK if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Berk,

Unfortunately you've got kind of awkward timing at the moment. The fundraising campaign is now over, which means that it was successfully funded and Sentry cases are being shipped out in waves to backers.

However, it also means there's no way to purchase a case directly at this moment. There were a few people on the forums who had changed their minds about purchasing a case and were willing to sell their, "spot in line," essentially, but I would be surprised if all those offers hadn't already been snatched up.

The good news is that you're not just SOL. After all the backers' orders have been fulfilled, the Sentry will then be available for general purchase. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen immediately; I would make an educated guess of late winter / early 2018.

Reactions: NTRX_
like this
Hi Berk,

Unfortunately you've got kind of awkward timing at the moment. The fundraising campaign is now over, which means that it was successfully funded and Sentry cases are being shipped out in waves to backers.

However, it also means there's no way to purchase a case directly at this moment. There were a few people on the forums who had changed their minds about purchasing a case and were willing to sell their, "spot in line," essentially, but I would be surprised if all those offers hadn't already been snatched up.

The good news is that you're not just SOL. After all the backers' orders have been fulfilled, the Sentry will then be available for general purchase. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen immediately; I would make an educated guess of late winter / early 2018.

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just keep my eye out for that then. As a side note, I found one on UK ebay going for 450 pounds(almost 600 dollars). I'd much rather bide my time until winter lol.

You see how the holes on the port end of your riser's PCB are on the motherboard side of the case?

Right. Mine won't go that far. If I push the riser as far as it will go, it's not in a position where I COULD put screws in front of it--only through it. By drilling.

Is the port supposed to hit the bottom part of the slot?

unnamed.jpg

Sorry for the poor picture, best I can do with one hand and a phone...but I can't get the port past that angled bottom part of the slot as I believe I am supposed to.

You see how the holes on the port end of your riser's PCB are on the motherboard side of the case?

Right. Mine won't go that far. If I push the riser as far as it will go, it's not in a position where I COULD put screws in front of it--only through it. By drilling.

View attachment 30167

Sorry for the poor picture, best I can do with one hand and a phone...but I can't get the port past that angled bottom part of the slot as I believe I am supposed to.
When I was building I had problems getting the riser into the motherboard and had to file some of the sides down a bit.

All I can suggest is take the case riser bar/support and screws out again. Maybe bend the PCIe extension slot and cable down a bit then re-fit it.

The manual Saper linked to is weird because of the 3d view, but the screws are really just there to stop it sliding further forward and they don't go through the small holes in both sides of the riser cable/slot.

No, the gpu port side of the riser car is not supposed to hit the bottom part of the slot.
It needs to go INSIDE that rectangular slot.

The rectangular slot for the riser is very tight. I posted about it on my build thread a few pages back.
Here is what i did to get the gpu port side of the riser to fit into that rectangular slot:

Remove the riser completely from the case completely and set it aside somewhere safe.
Take a screwdriver, and using the shaft, insert it into the rectangular slot horizontally, and torque the shaft against the top and bottom of that rectangular slot on the gpu side. (be careful not to hit anything on your motherboard).
That will "loosen" that rectangular slot a few mm. A few mm is all you need.

Now you should be able to slide the gpu side of the riser bracket into that rectangular slot all the way in. You will feel the bottom of the plastic riser port's teeth slots in to the notches in the rectangular slot.

View attachment 30167

Hi,

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just keep my eye out for that then. As a side note, I found one on UK ebay going for 450 pounds(almost 600 dollars). I'd much rather bide my time until winter lol.

Those are probably people that bought 2 during the fund raiser in hopes to make some quick cash later. It's not worth it to support that IMO.
If you go to the official ZABER site, their timeline for estimated retail says September, which isn't that bad. Even if that gets delayed, it's probably coming this year, seeing that the case was a great success and how efficient the ZABER team is at what they're doing.

I was fortunate enough to buy an indiegogo slot from someone that changed his mind and wasn't looking at scamming people. I have the case but I still need to wait a few weeks for the AM4 ITX boards to arrive in retail, as well as graphics to be available again (thanks to cryptocurrency fags :p).
If you wait until fall (planned Sentry retail) you'll definitely have a wider array of build options and more reasonably priced GPUs.

Those are probably people that bought 2 during the fund raiser in hopes to make some quick cash later. It's not worth it to support that IMO.
If you go to the official ZABER site, their timeline for estimated retail says September, which isn't that bad. Even if that gets delayed, it's probably coming this year, seeing that the case was a great success and how efficient the ZABER team is at what they're doing.

I was fortunate enough to buy an indiegogo slot from someone that changed his mind and wasn't looking at scamming people. I have the case but I still need to wait a few weeks for the AM4 ITX boards to arrive in retail, as well as graphics to be available again (thanks to cryptocurrency fags :p).
If you wait until fall (planned Sentry retail) you'll definitely have a wider array of build options and more reasonably priced GPUs.

Yeah my plan was to run off of integrated graphics until the next line of GPU's, or maybe pick one up on discount if and when the mining thing crashes and prices drop.
I guess now I'll just sit and cry in a corner until the sentry is out again. I wish I never saw it lol I could have just gotten a node 202, but after seeing how much better this case looks I can't stomach it.

For those looking for one of the new AM4 Asrock/Gigabyte Boards, they are in stock at SuperBiiz!

(links to Asrock boards in comments)

I went ahead and picked up an Asrock B350! Get them while they are there!

Edit: also that coupon code listed in the Reddit thread didn't work for me, but their promotional code for today (listed on their homepage carrousel hero banner) saved me $15 (which ate the shipping cost!)

Awesome about those ASrock boards. Very curious to see how their x370 performs with the Ryzen x CPUs.

On another note, I e-mailed Cryorig about their CU (copper) C7 product and they seem to be aiming for this baby to hit the shelves at the end of this year.

No, the gpu port side of the riser car is not supposed to hit the bottom part of the slot.
It needs to go INSIDE that rectangular slot.

The rectangular slot for the riser is very tight. I posted about it on my build thread a few pages back.
Here is what i did to get the gpu port side of the riser to fit into that rectangular slot:

Remove the riser completely from the case completely and set it aside somewhere safe.
Take a screwdriver, and using the shaft, insert it into the rectangular slot horizontally, and torque the shaft against the top and bottom of that rectangular slot on the gpu side. (be careful not to hit anything on your motherboard).
That will "loosen" that rectangular slot a few mm. A few mm is all you need.

Now you should be able to slide the gpu side of the riser bracket into that rectangular slot all the way in. You will feel the bottom of the plastic riser port's teeth slots in to the notches in the rectangular slot.

This solved my problem! Thank you so much!

For those looking for one of the new AM4 Asrock/Gigabyte Boards, they are in stock at SuperBiiz!

(links to Asrock boards in comments)

I went ahead and picked up an Asrock B350! Get them while they are there!

Edit: also that coupon code listed in the Reddit thread didn't work for me, but their promotional code for today (listed on their homepage carrousel hero banner) saved me $15 (which ate the shipping cost!)
What's the new promo code?? Could have just mentioned along with your comment to make it easier for others...

Reactions: Rysen
like this
Whelp I did the thing, R7 1700X from PrimeDay and ASRock AB350 mITX from SuperBiiz on the way. Now to find some ram and order a T318 w/noctua fan (unless it's been dethroned?).

Just contacted some local webshops here in the Netherlands and the Asrock mini-itx AM4 motherboards will be in stock this week or next week. Just in time for my Sentry.

What's the new promo code?? Could have just mentioned along with your comment to make it easier for others...

Totally get that. Many of these codes disappear and I didn't want people who saw the thread to try the code and miss it, so pointing people to the homepage would give them the code if it's still valid. For those who are interested in it still, here's the code (it was extended, but warning, after today, it may not be active anymore) Code: SUPERPRIMUS.

Of note, all boards, Gigabyte B350, Asrock X370 and B350 are still in stock at the time of this posting.

Screen Shot 2017-07-12 at 8.38.07 AM.png

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Back