SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

That's... Bizarre.

I know that USPS sucks sometimes, and I've had issues with them domestically, but to just not let people know where their international shipments are!?

I don't think it's that uncommon. From my experience being in the States (around a year, collectively) the postal/courier services there are pretty abysmal in comparison to what I've experienced in Europe, lol. Kinda like the quality of internet.

I don't think it's that uncommon. From my experience being in the States (around a year, collectively) the postal/courier services there are pretty abysmal in comparison to what I've experienced in Europe, lol. Kinda like the quality of internet.
Being a lifelong US resident, USPS has always been awful. I try to use UPS or FedEx if at all possible. True about the Internet too. Comcast!!!!!

Being a lifelong US resident, USPS has always been awful. I try to use UPS or FedEx if at all possible. True about the Internet too. Comcast!!!!!

You should be more disgruntled by the current FCC. Ajit Pai is a complete assh*le. If he has it his way, our ISP's will be charging us for every website we visit. Selling our browsing history, throttling speeds more, and charging by the GB if they can get away with it. It will be the death of the open internet, the amazing thing that brought us all together to make this project happen.

For me USPS is the most reliable only second to Amazon prime while both UPS and FedEx have been a pain plenty of times!

Tracking info for my first-shipment Sentry updated today. Will post again when/if package actually arrives before I leave this address. If it does show up, I'll also post feedback on how well the Scythe Kozuti cooler works in the Sentry.

..sooo...Cryorig C7 (with AM4 brackets) and Ryzen.. anybody try this yet? I know there was some controversy about the C7 vs the L9i a while ago where there was a problem fitting the C7 on some MBs. I'm looking at specs for coolers and I can see the C7 being rated for CPUs of up to 100W while the Noctua's fine for up to 65W. I'm eyeing a Ryzen 1700x which has a TDP of 95W

I think this things been beaten to death before. I'm just wondering if anybody's had a chance to test the Ryzen line with the C7.

..sooo...Cryorig C7 (with AM4 brackets) and Ryzen.. anybody try this yet? I know there was some controversy about the C7 vs the L9i a while ago where there was a problem fitting the C7 on some MBs. I'm looking at specs for coolers and I can see the C7 being rated for CPUs of up to 100W while the Noctua's fine for up to 65W. I'm eyeing a Ryzen 1700x which has a TDP of 95W

I think this things been beaten to death before. I'm just wondering if anybody's had a chance to test the Ryzen line with the C7.

Do a search for "Sentry C7" in the top bar above and be prepared for over 20 hits on this forum thread, most of which are negative, about the noise and temperature control with the C7 for the Sentry. I think reviews for temp are still a little mixed, but most users report the noise pretty consistently.

For me USPS is the most reliable only second to Amazon prime while both UPS and FedEx have been a pain plenty of times!
Does Amazon Prime have its own shipping service where you are? For me, Prime packages show up by either UPS or DHL.

(And it's a horrible scam, anyways; I despise amazon prime now. When you actually got your package in two days, it was great... But now they expect you to pay the subscription for two-day shipping that has, in recent times, not once taken less than three days - and frequently takes a day or two of "processing" because even if you pay extra to get it shipped quickly, that only covers the transit time, not that they'll actually get it on a truck with any expectation of haste.)

I'm looking at specs for coolers and I can see the C7 being rated for CPUs of up to 100W while the Noctua's fine for up to 65W. I'm eyeing a Ryzen 1700x which has a TDP of 95W.

And that is because Noctua is an awesome company that doesn't just make shit up. Their numbers can ALWAYS be trusted and are almost always low-balled; that "65W" number on the l9i covers a 65W chip that might be overclocked, in relatively hot ambient temperatures, while still retaining the level of silence that noctua holds itself to.

For comparison, look at something like the ID-cooling VC45, which claims to be rated for up to a 130W TDP and can barely cool a 95W chip at stock, and sounds like a hair dryer while doing so.

The l9i has successfully cooled minorly overclocked i7s with aplomb, and is pretty much the best option right now, if you don't want to jury-rig a dynotron cooler.

but most users report the noise pretty consistently.
Who needs C7 with stock fan?! If you buy something that doesn't have Noctua fan in it and you care about noise, you'll 100% replace it with Noctua's fan

Reactions: Ej24
like this
Does Amazon Prime have its own shipping service where you are? For me, Prime packages show up by either UPS or DHL.

(And it's a horrible scam, anyways; I despise amazon prime now. When you actually got your package in two days, it was great... But now they expect you to pay the subscription for two-day shipping that has, in recent times, not once taken less than three days - and frequently takes a day or two of "processing" because even if you pay extra to get it shipped quickly, that only covers the transit time, not that they'll actually get it on a truck with any expectation of haste.)

I think it's definitely location based. I live about 2 hours from a distribution center and have 90% of my packages delivered by USPS with zero delays. The other 10% goes to shipped either by UPS or FedEx OR it arrives overnight which is always a pleasant surprise. So for me prime is a definite must. (I have two new fire sticks as well and can't go back to roku as they're also fantastic)

USPS shows that my case was processed through a Polish facility on June 12, but the current state is that it still shows 'origin post is preparing shipment.' This is disappointing.

USPS shows that my case was processed through a Polish facility on June 12, but the current state is that it still shows 'origin post is preparing shipment.' This is disappointing.
It may already be on a ship. Usps doesn't always have the latest information. I remember mine said something similar and then next thing I knew it said it was scheduled for delivery the next day.

Yep we have a warehouse like 20 blocks away and 2 day delivery by a courier with an Amazon shirt. Some times it arrives the next day. They rarely miss but when they do we get about 5$ credit or a free month of Amazon prime subscription. The prime subscription is like 90$ a year and allows to buy some products cheaper.

That's strange - never once have I seen a delivery guy with Amazon branding.

I'm not quite that close to one, but there's a HUGE Amazon distribution center just outside of my relatively small town - it's a hub that takes in everything from the east coast and distributes it across California.

I still have a Prime account, but it most frequently takes a full five business days to get a package fulfilled by Amazon.

I've also frequently paid for one or two day guaranteed shipping on something I needed as soon as possible, only to not have it actually be shipped for a day or two. Never once have I gotten restitution for it, just a comment about how, "well, technically the shipping only took one day, despite it being three days since you placed the order."

Where do you guys live? If it weren't for the access to cheap, really good quality AYCE sushi, I'd move in a heartbeat. :p

Reactions: RosaJ
like this
Where do you guys live? If it weren't for the access to cheap, really good quality AYCE sushi, I'd move in a heartbeat. :p
Dayton, OH (SE side, west not so good). I can talk for days about living here, but in short there's tons of diverse food options, cheap cost of living, and plenty of things to do. Also there's like 6+ major cities within 2'ish hours away!

From June 10 no updates. Just shipped from Poland. Destination is Seattle. Anyone else started getting their parcels? USPS :confused::confused:

From June 10 no updates. Just shipped from Poland. Destination is Seattle. Anyone else started getting their parcels? USPS :confused::confused:

We've talked about this here and in one of the updates - package to US should take ~6 weeks and you'll get updates in USPS tracking when it starts moving in the US because it's on a ship and we're not getting a gps position updates on postal packages :)
At the same note what Zombi wrote earlier on this page - it looks like USPS is not updating the tracking for quite a lot of packages.

Meanwhile I got my memory sticks back from RMA, looks like they work properly on JEDEC settings at least, but I won't be trying XMP until biostar releases the agesa update for this board.
T318 works, can't say anything concrete about it right now, I'll have to spend some time with it since Ryzen is pretty tricky in terms of clocks and temps.
Rough temps currently: ~39 degrees on idle in quiet mode, spiking to ~45 degrees when some load comes up and ~51 degrees under heaven load, spiking to 56 degrees

We've talked about this here and in one of the updates - package to US should take ~6 weeks and you'll get updates in USPS tracking when it starts moving in the US because it's on a ship and we're not getting a gps position updates on postal packages :)
At the same note what Zombi wrote earlier on this page - it looks like USPS is not updating the tracking for quite a lot of packages.

Meanwhile I got my memory sticks back from RMA, looks like they work properly on JEDEC settings at least, but I won't be trying XMP until biostar releases the agesa update for this board.
T318 works, can't say anything concrete about it right now, I'll have to spend some time with it since Ryzen is pretty tricky in terms of clocks and temps.
Rough temps currently: ~39 degrees on idle in quiet mode, spiking to ~45 degrees when some load comes up and ~51 degrees under heaven load, spiking to 56 degrees
What kind of mounting are you using ? Custom bracket or try to screw 2011 to am4 ?

Last edited:
What kind of mounting are you using ? Custom bracket or try to screw 2011 to am4 ?

Check out my thread on AM4 low profile adapters:

I've had to remove the board from my rig since I've sent the memory for RMA, thus occasion happened to tinker a bit with the T318.

Looks like we don't really need a custom adapter to mount it since the holes in both motherboard pcb and base of the radiator are big enough to put the screws angled.

I figured out I can use such setup:

View attachment 26260

M4x25 screw + two nuts (one to shorten the screw a bit) and two washers (one should be either non-conductive or have to be isolated from bottom of the board - I used pieces of adhesive paper for it)

I also had to remove the original screws from the T318

The result:

View attachment 26262 View attachment 26261 View attachment 26263 View attachment 26264 View attachment 26265

Screws are tightened by hand, strongly angled because the power section forced the base of the cooler to be slightly off the center of CPU.

I'll have to figure out some nice and easy way of mounting the fan on top of radiator.

No tests yet until I get back my DDR4 sticks from RMA :|

Are we getting an update on indiegogo this week SaperPL? I like being kept up-to-date on everything. :)

Today I called once again to our contact in our transport company, and received some weird information. It looks like sometimes US customs services stops some packages and they keep them without giving an information to USPS. In such situation packages can stay for weeks in the customs warehouse and USPS isn't updating the tracking information because they physically don't have the box. It means, if you still didn't get your package while everyone else from your transport did receive it, then you should contact with your nearest customs services office and ask if they don't have it. There is a possibility that your package is at some other office (maybe harbour customs services), but you have to ask about it your local officer.

Another thing is that, USPS also don't update the tracking status because.... who knows why. Today we asked many people from our 1st transport whose tracking information is showing the package just left Poland and... they are claiming they received their packages long time ago. USPS simply didn't update the tracking information. It means we really don't know how many people didn't receive their packages, because feedback from USPS is the worst from those we have to deal with.

From 1st transport we had something like 30 packages missing. In the last week many people received their packages, so this number went down to something like 20 packages. From those packages many people already received their cases or USPS claims (from USPS tracking information) those are waiting at the nearest post office. We checked also this confusing information, and also we received some answers saying that the package was delivered while USPS website shows some different information.

It means, from those 30 packages which we thought that weren't delivered, there are still maybe 10 or even less to deliver.

Oh, two more things:
- I asked about the warranty and complaint procedure, and I was informed that because of the contact with US side is so great that they have up to 3 months to answer. What is more, they claim that in almost 100% cases the missing packages are delivered within that period, and they advise to wait patiently (easy to say...).
- Once again i asked for GPS tracking information or at least for the name of the ship (or ships) which picked up packages for 1st transport. I'm waiting for answer in this matter.

I think that is all for now. It's end of Friday in Poland and i won't get any new information before Monday. If you are sure you should get your package by now, please contact with your nearest post offices and customs services offices if they don't have it. Those are kind of institutions that aren't working like they should, and it looks like the situation is very similar in every country. For us (as i said before) this is the last time we are sending packages this way. Sorry for essay...

Thanks for the update. It's been 6 weeks now since it shipped (the first batch of white cases) and haven't seen any updates on Poczta Polska or USPS. I'll give my local customs here in Raleigh, NC a call and see if I can get any answers. Do you know if there is any information I may need? Any idea what port the ship came in at here in the states or should they be able to track everything down just by the tracking number?

If some don't have tracking, would there be any indication that it has arrived in the US at least?

Thanks for the update. It's been 6 weeks now since it shipped (the first batch of white cases) and haven't seen any updates on Poczta Polska or USPS. I'll give my local customs here in Raleigh, NC a call and see if I can get any answers. Do you know if there is any information I may need? Any idea what port the ship came in at here in the states or should they be able to track everything down just by the tracking number?

The port of entry could be almost anywhere on the east coast. New York, Delaware, Newport News VA, Charleston SC... All have major ports. Any tracking info you can provide a customs office will help as well as the point of origin of the package.

I wish there was a way to pay extra to upgrade shipping. I've seen things take up to 8 weeks to arrive from Poland to the US via regular freight channels.

Reactions: Rysen
like this
I wish there was a way to pay extra to upgrade shipping. I've seen things take up to 8 weeks to arrive from Poland to the US via regular freight channels.

There were three options of courier shipments to US which we couldn't really take:

1) There wasn't any way to add two different shipments to a perk sharing one limit and it was quite important for us especially for white cases. By indiegogo rules (at the time we were preparing campaign and launched) the shipping costs had to be bound with the perk so making additional perks for the sake of shipment boost could break those rules and we didn't want to risk that. Note the fact that campaign could be cancelled by indiegogo any time if they decided our breaking rules poses any risk for them.

2) shipment to US would cost ~100$ if we were aiming at minimum 100 cases target. We knew that most of the people that were going to be that first solid 100 were the ones that waited for the case and followed our project, but those people mostly wouldn't be eager to pay ~$300 in total for the case. Most of the people willing to pay that money come after the item/campaign is successful and the product is hot.

3) Make a target for 500 cases and ship only to US, Canada and EU at the same time by one of the courier companies while the packages would cost 50~60$ for US and Canada. This way we might not succeed with the campaign.

it's quite easy to say at this moment that we would definitely be better off with courier shipments and many people would be willing to pay for it, but in reality we wouldn't get the initial backers that made the campaign successful.

I have the following problem: For my Sentry build I used my "old" ASRock Z270m ac. I sold my 1070 because it was too big and got a MSI Aero 1080OC.

Today I started assembling. Everything seemed to fit together, no hard pushing or bending cables or connectors. When I turn on the machine, the gpu was not recognized by the uefi. The fan is on, the light is on, but I can't see anything on the screen and when I use onboard graphics I cant find the gpu in the uefi. I took everything apart and tried it without the pci e riser. Still doesn't work.

My first thought was that the gpu must be broken. But could it be possible that the pci e riser somehow damaged the pci e port? maybe a short circuit due to a faulty riser?

I don't have any other gpu or mainboard I could test it with. And I dont want to break my friends computers, too. :/

I have the following problem: For my Sentry build I used my "old" ASRock Z270m ac. I sold my 1070 because it was too big and got a MSI Aero 1080OC.

Today I started assembling. Everything seemed to fit together, no hard pushing or bending cables or connectors. When I turn on the machine, the gpu was not recognized by the uefi. The fan is on, the light is on, but I can't see anything on the screen and when I use onboard graphics I cant find the gpu in the uefi. I took everything apart and tried it without the pci e riser. Still doesn't work.

My first thought was that the gpu must be broken. But could it be possible that the pci e riser somehow damaged the pci e port? maybe a short circuit due to a faulty riser?

I don't have any other gpu or mainboard I could test it with. And I dont want to break my friends computers, too. :/

Pull out the parts and assemble it on the Motherboard box. ALWAYS assemble your PC on the motherboard box first before putting it in the case to make sure everything is working. This will tell you if it's the riser.

Is there a BIOS error code showing in the lower right side of the screen during boot (looks like A2, A3, B2, etc.)??
If you see the error code it might help you debug the issue.

I recently was trying a new GPU (Zotac 1060 amp!) with a *really* old motherboard, the Zotac H77-ITX Wifi B series, and I got a B2 error code which told me that the BIOS needed updating. Unfortunately ZOTAC no longer has the BIOS for the H77 on their website, so this discovery triggered the purchase of a new mobo/CPU etc.

So over the weekend I finally got my SENTRY put together. It was a great, fun experience and I couldn't be happier with the case.

I'll do a full build post later but for now I'll just post a couple teaser photos of the case in action.

Specs:

ASRock Z270M-ITX/ac
i7 7700k delidded
ZOTAC GTX 1060 Amp!
CFX Ballistix 32GB
Thermolab LP53 CPU Cooler + Noctua A9x14
Silverstone SFX 600W SX600-G
an old Samsung 840 SSD 250Gb [bought 4 years ago]
DR ZABER SENTRY case

IMG_20170708_161825.jpg IMG_20170709_091201.jpg

I haven't done benchmarks or anything yet. I installed Windows 10 and went straight to playing games.

more soon! and a huge thanks to ZABER team.

Is there a BIOS error code showing in the lower right side of the screen during boot (looks like A2, A3, B2, etc.)??
If you see the error code it might help you debug the issue.

I recently was trying a new GPU (Zotac 1060 amp!) with a *really* old motherboard, the Zotac H77-ITX Wifi B series, and I got a B2 error code which told me that the BIOS needed updating. Unfortunately ZOTAC no longer has the BIOS for the H77 on their website, so this discovery triggered the purchase of a new mobo/CPU etc.

As I said, I tried it without the riser. Doesn't work. The sentry (nr. 11) has been delivered for 2 months now, but I was in a different county so I could't play with it. When I picked it up today I was so full of anticipation that I was stupid and didn't try it without the riser first. :(

But I just want to know if a faulty riser can damage the board.

No, the Bios doesn't show any codes. It's just like there is no gpu in the pcie slot.

Attachments

• 14996394608122105443082.jpg
    14996394608122105443082.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 67
As I said, I tried it without the riser. Doesn't work. The sentry (nr. 11) has been delivered for 2 months now, but I was in a different county so I could't play with it. When I picked it up today I was so full of anticipation that I was stupid and didn't try it without the riser first. :(

No, the Bios doesn't show any codes. It's just like there is no gpu in the pcie slot.

It's not likely that a riser would kill a PCI-E port, due to the design of PCI-E. The first set of pins before the spacer is all power and all the data pins are on the other side. The likely hood of shorting something out (Ex +12v to a data line) is highly unlikely.

Thats good to know. Im still hopeing its not the gpu. The shop i bought it at doesnt have it in stock anymore and who knows how long itll take msi to fix that thing :/ I was sick of waiting for vega. Now I still have to wait. I hate waiting!!!

gnaok8ctmbuayxebhz8l.png

Sentry manufacturing process - weekly update

Today we want to answer 5 most common questions from the last few weeks. Let's start:

1) My package was sent several days ago and i still didn't get it. Why it takes so long? I live outside Europe.

About 90% of packages for backers living outside Europe are being sent by ship. It means your package will have to travel through the sea and it will take several weeks.

2) You sent 1st shipment. How long is the "real-life" delivery time, which you measured?

a) EU delivery (based on 4 transports):
~70% within 5 days,
~85% within 7 days,
~100% within 10 days,

b) Non-EU countries outside European continent (average for whole world, based on 1st shipment):
~65% within 6 weeks,
~75% within 7 weeks,
~80% within 8 weeks,
- about 20 packages from this transport still weren't described as "delivered", so at this moment we can't say what is the max waiting time.

3) What should I do if my package was sent and after many weeks my tracking information still says only "Sent from Poland"?

Please contact with your nearest post department and ask them which customs services office should receive your package after shipping from Poland (tracking number should be enough for them). After that you should contact that customs office. Those two institutions aren't updating their tracking information as often as they should, and your package can stay at their warehouse for weeks while you think it's still on a ship.

Example: Yesterday (8.07.2017) USPS updated information for several packages saying "Item arrived to the delivery office - 12.06.2017. Almost a month later...

4) Why you didn't give an option to choose more expensive transport?

Indiegogo didn't allow us to do it. We were allowed to use only one transport option for each country and we picked the one which was the cheapest among those which included online tracking and insurance.

5) Paper manual included in Sentry box isn't enough for me. Do you have something more informative?

Yes, we have. On every paper manual we have a web address and QR-code leading to our online manual. You can also find it here: http://zaber.com.pl/sentry/manual.pdf

Other standard news:
- we are at the stage of screwing steel Sentry bodies for 5th transport,
- accessory boxes for this shipment are ready,
- this week we will be packaging everything into printed carton boxes and then into transport boxes.

It doesn't work even without the riser? Then it's definitely the gpu. Return it asap for a replacement.

It doesn't work even without the riser? Then it's definitely the gpu. Return it asap for a replacement.
There's no way a faulty cable can damage the board unless the wires are crossed or something like that which would be pretty obvious. So I agree return the card. For the Founders edition cards if it the card is receiving power the light turns on. I'm not sure if the MSi has a light but if it receive power does it turn on?

PCI-E is quite heavily protected against damages in the lanes so it is very unlikely that a faulty riser would harm the board.

My additional question in your situation would be if you are 100% sure there's enough power given to the card through PEG connectors - what power supply are you using?

PCI-E is quite heavily protected against damages in the lanes so it is very unlikely that a faulty riser would harm the board.

My additional question in your situation would be if you are 100% sure there's enough power given to the card through PEG connectors - what power supply are you using?

Alright, the mainboard is broken. I tried various combinations with other components. The other mainboard still works, so its not the riser.

Back