SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

Today I made the system using the Gigabyte Ryzen itx board. (AB350N GAMING)

And here I was imagining a use-case! This is very good to see! How was building with that mobo?

Do you have some temps to share? NIC speeds (not excited about the Broadcom, but it might be better than the one review above)

Today i called twice to our contact in transport company. I also wrote a detailed report with tracking numbers for packages from 1st transport which still weren't delivered. I was assured that this situation will be investigated and i'll get a response.

It is really weird, not because some people from this 1st transport still didn't get their packages, but because all of those non-EU packages we sent together. There was no more space on the ship, so they split the transport? Customs stopped some of the packages for additional check? We're waiting for explanation, and when we'll get some new information, i will let you know.

Thank you for doing this! You guys are great, I'm very impressed with the level of support your're giving on here, all while working on assembling and packaging the rest of our cases. Can't wait to get mine!

Reactions: RosaJ
like this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170628-115327.png
    Screenshot_20170628-115327.png
    529.5 KB · Views: 97
My build is almost complete. Just bought a GTX 1080 Ti as a birthday present to myself. Now all I need is a motherboard and an NVME drive. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good NVME M.2 drive?

Reactions: Rysen
like this
My build is almost complete. Just bought a GTX 1080 Ti as a birthday present to myself. Now all I need is a motherboard and an NVME drive. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good NVME M.2 drive?

If you want the best, Samsung 960 pro. It uses MLC nand which is becoming rare these days, much faster and longer sustained write speeds, much better longevity than TLC nand. 960 Evo is also good, but uses TLC nand, which Samsung has clearly perfected more so than other companies. I will always recommend MLC based ssd's. I've personally had some TLC drives drop down below hdd speeds once their slc cache is full. You might not think that's a problem until you get a big 5gb+ windows update and your pc takes 8 hours to install it during which time you can't use it. Samsung has done some sorcery with their in-house flash controllers to avoid most of these performance bottlenecks with TLC so if the 960 pro is too expensive the EVO is really a good choice too. Other tlc drives? Be sure to look for thorough reviews looking at sustained speeds and throttling.

Last edited:
The shipment to the US should take 4-6 weeks. As we were informed, 90% of packages usually were delivered within this period. After we will send the packages there are 3 fields which can cause additional delay: Polish customs services, weather and your customs services. You can also add to this group Post office workers, who sometimes don't update the tracking information as fast as they should. This is why to be on the safe side we sometimes wrote 5-7 weeks, because this is a first time we are sending something in that way and for us this is also a new situation. We talked about this before. Why your package wasn't delivered yet? We don't really know. If your package was stopped by Polish customs services for additional check, it can be delayed. If the ship got into bad weather or was stopped for some reason in the harbour, your package can be delayed. If your customs services stopped your package to check it or to charge additional tax, your package can be delayed. If USPS worker won't update tracking information for your package, you will think it is still on the ship while you could go to the Post office and pick it up before courier will take it. etc.etc. After the packages are being taken by our transport company we do not have a real influence how fast and in which way they will be transported (in this field it works in the same way for almost all transport companies). We did our best to make everything as fast as possible on our side, but when it comes to the couriers side, you will find why your package was 4-6 times cheaper than with 10-days transport company.

Please let us know when you will receive your package, because we are also courious the real date of delivery (as i wrote, it looks like Post office workers aren't updating tracking information as fast as they should).

Maybe this is the problem: http://www.cnbc.com/2017/06/27/ransomware-cyberattack-hits-maersk-shipping-company.html

And here I was imagining a use-case! This is very good to see! How was building with that mobo?

Do you have some temps to share? NIC speeds (not excited about the Broadcom, but it might be better than the one review above)

I dont know what is mobo.... maybe mobo=motherboard??
Gigabyte mother board is good to build sentry itx case, 24 pin position is good.
Idle cpu temperature is 40~45c and gpu temperature(gtx1080) is 55~65c.
If I play extreme game cpu temp is 60~70c
gpu temp is 75~85c. Its little bit high temp, So I will buy 40mm system cooler.
Disadvantage of this board is position of the screw hole does not fit well with the case, so I could not fit one screw.

Last edited:
Finished the build! Not my first ITX build, but the tiny confines of the case did have me banging my head against the wall a couple times. The riser card was also a pain in the butt to get seated properly in PCI slot. Needed to walk away from the case a couple times to avoid pulling out my hair. :)

Haven't installed windows yet, but got bios to loadup, been sitting here for about 20mins at the bios menu,
CPU hovering at 40C/105F (ambient here is about 26C/79F).
Temps inside the case do seem to have warmed up enough to cause the PSU fan to also spin up.

Mobo = Asus Z270i
CPU = i5 -7500
Cooler = Noctua NH-L9i
Ram = 2x8gb Corsair
SSD = Samsung 960 EVO (NVME SSD helped a lot, not having to route extra SATA or power cables for the regular SSD saved a ton of space to work with)
GPU = Asus 1070 turbo blower
PSU = Corsair SFX 600

Some pics of the insides. The pictures on the official Sentry website were really helpful to plan out where all the cables should go.
Low profile RAM is extra important here, as you will need the room above Ram to lay out the USB3.0 cord. It sits perfectly on top of the RAM, next to the CPU fan. If you RAM is too tall, there will be no room for the USB3 cable to route through. Helps to do several dry runs to layout the order.

Order of plugging in cables for me (this only matters if you got a Corsair PSU like me because the Corsair cables are a royal pain in the ass):
Front panel connector onto mobo first, and tucked it out of way.
Plugged all PSU cables into power supply first.
Slid PSU into spot, then screwed in PSU
Connected 3 prong power cord into PSU and tucked in down into channel/gap between PSU and mobo.
Then connected 24pin PSU cable onto mobo.
Then connected USB3 cable onto mobo, wrapped it on top of ram, then curled it around 3 prong power cable.
Then connected 8 pin CPU cable onto mobo.

IMG_20170628_160633_zps6abwo6e7.jpg

IMG_20170628_160739_zpsguvajgh5.jpg

IMG_20170628_160520_zpsdyjz5phx.jpg

Finished the build! Not my first ITX build, but the tiny confines of the case did have me banging my head against the wall a couple times. The riser card was also a pain in the butt to get seated properly in PCI slot. Needed to walk away from the case a couple times to avoid pulling out my hair. :)

Haven't installed windows yet, but got bios to loadup, been sitting here for about 20mins at the bios menu,
CPU hovering at 40C/105F (ambient here is about 26C/79F).
Temps inside the case do seem to have warmed up enough to cause the PSU fan to also spin up.

Mobo = Asus Z270i
CPU = i5 -7500
Cooler = Noctua NH-L9i
Ram = 2x8gb Corsair
SSD = Samsung 960 EVO (NVME SSD helped a lot, not having to route extra SATA or power cables for the regular SSD saved a ton of space to work with)
GPU = Asus 1070 turbo blower
PSU = Corsair SFX 600

Some pics of the insides. The pictures on the official Sentry website were really helpful to plan out where all the cables should go.
Low profile RAM is extra important here, as you will need the room above Ram to lay out the USB3.0 cord. It sits perfectly on top of the RAM, next to the CPU fan. If you RAM is too tall, there will be no room for the USB3 cable to route through. Helps to do several dry runs to layout the order.

Order of plugging in cables for me (this only matters if you got a Corsair PSU like me because the Corsair cables are a royal pain in the ass):
Front panel connector onto mobo first, and tucked it out of way.
Plugged all PSU cables into power supply first.
Slid PSU into spot, then screwed in PSU
Connected 3 prong power cord into PSU and tucked in down into channel/gap between PSU and mobo.
Then connected 24pin PSU cable onto mobo.
Then connected USB3 cable onto mobo, wrapped it on top of ram, then curled it around 3 prong power cable.
Then connected 8 pin CPU cable onto mobo.

IMG_20170628_160633_zps6abwo6e7.jpg

IMG_20170628_160739_zpsguvajgh5.jpg

IMG_20170628_160520_zpsdyjz5phx.jpg

Nice build. You're right, nvme makes for a clean build. One suggestion would be to turn the cpu cooler 90 degrees so the fins are parallel with the ram. Otherwise the hot air has nowhere to go. With the fins parallel to the ram at least half the exhaust goes right out the side of the case.

Guys is ECC memory supported by all the ryzen line? 7/5/3?

Ecc.png

I don't think it'll depend on the CPU type as the CCX should be the same for R7/R5/R3, just the CCX/CORE count differs.

Having the support on each board and chipset is another story though, not mentioning compatible/certified ryzen ECC sticks...

Just got a mail that my white Sentry was shipped, so I'm super stoked :) It's probably gonna arrive on Monday/Tuesday - benefits of domestic shipment.

Hopefully the Gigabyte/ASRock ITX AM4 boards get to stores here ASAP so I can actually build in it... not to mention the GPU market situation. My current EVGA 1080 FTW2 won't fit in the Sentry (oversized PCB) :/
Planning to go with a Ryzen 1700 + the Dynatron T318 cooling. If there's no bracket solution by that time I'll make my own.

Just got a mail that my white Sentry was shipped, so I'm super stoked :) It's probably gonna arrive on Monday/Tuesday - benefits of domestic shipment.

Hopefully the Gigabyte/ASRock ITX AM4 boards get to stores here ASAP so I can actually build in it... not to mention the GPU market situation. My current EVGA 1080 FTW2 won't fit in the Sentry (oversized PCB) :/
Planning to go with a Ryzen 1700 + the Dynatron T318 cooling. If there's no bracket solution by that time I'll make my own.

You could probably sell the 1080 now for what you paid for it, if not more. Then in a month or two buy one at normal price when things clam down. You could probably make $50-100 profit even after purchasing a new 1080 that's fits.

It's the number one rule of investing in any market, buy when prices are low, sell when prices are high. Profit.

You could probably sell the 1080 now for what you paid for it, if not more. Then in a month or two buy one at normal price when things clam down. You could probably make $50-100 profit even after purchasing a new 1080 that's fits.

It's the number one rule of investing in any market, buy when prices are low, sell when prices are high. Profit.

And in the meantime run my system on what? ;) It did cross my mind, but...
The market here is crazy with shit always being more expensive than abroad and cheapskate distributors/retailers wanting to make as much money as possible and setting retarded prices. It's also far from being a primary market for the manufacturers, which is probably half of the story.
There's really no guarantee it's gonna be back to 'normal' (previous) levels in 2 months, or even this year.

Plus the Ryzen series doesn't have integrated graphics, so I'd be forced to buy something temporarily, and even if it's cheap that would make the deal not worth it IMO.

Of course waiting to build for who-knows-how-long also sucks, so I'll basically give it until the motherboards are available and see what can be done at that time.

And the only difference between the two (aside from chipset) is that x370 suports higher bandwith on wireless (433 vs. 867 Mbps) which is where the extra PCIE lanes went, I guess. 45$ worth? I dont' think so..

I just preordered my board. Now I'm just praying that my sentry is not lost and shows up soon. First order of white sentry in the US. I can't wait

Hey everyone,

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Turbo is currently on Massdrop for 650 USD (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-turbo-11g) until next week.

I've checked the Sentry GPU compatibility sheet, but there are no entries for GTX 1080 Ti, however, I assumed that this model fits because its GTX 1080 variant fits.

My question is: does anyone have any feedback regarding its cooling performance? Additional feedback regarding other matters is also highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

Reactions: Jspr
like this
Hey everyone,

The Gigabyte GTX 1080 Ti Turbo is currently on Massdrop for 650 USD (https://www.massdrop.com/buy/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-turbo-11g) until next week.

I've checked the Sentry GPU compatibility sheet, but there are no entries for GTX 1080 Ti, however, I assumed that this model fits because its GTX 1080 variant fits.

My question is: does anyone have any feedback regarding its cooling performance? Additional feedback regarding other matters is also highly appreciated. Thanks a lot.

I have a 1080Ti FE but no sentry yet white + black order #139 or something. (Minnesota, USA). And in my old micro ATX case the GPU stays pegged at 84C with the boost clock fluctuating between ~1650mhz-1850mhz. The performance is a noticeable jump from a 1080 even if it's a low clocked blower.

The card is designed to stick at 84c at stock. My CPU (7700k) temps also dropped drastically because the 1080 I had recycled hot air in the case (zotac amp extreme 1080).

As long as it's a blower card it will cool fine. I'd presume this gigabyte card will cool similarly as the founders edition also. Maybe do some googling to validate that it has a vapor chamber like the founders edition? If so that's a good indicator of strong cooling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ej24
like this
Hey everyone,

This is my 1080 ti, It is under 80°C when FULL LOAD and using custom fan setting, a little bit shortcoming is the noise. To say, 1582 MHz /1480 MHz in gaming mode is already good enough.

Attachments

• 微信图片_20170701210652.png
    微信图片_20170701210652.png
    140.9 KB · Views: 84
Ecc.png

I don't think it'll depend on the CPU type as the CCX should be the same for R7/R5/R3, just the CCX/CORE count differs.

Having the support on each board and chipset is another story though, not mentioning compatible/certified ryzen ECC sticks...

I see so its just a matter of the board supporting ECC and being able to turn it on then. Thanks SaperPL, also got my tracking number! Im stoked

I have a 1080Ti FE but no sentry yet white + black order #139 or something. (Minnesota, USA). And in my old micro ATX case the GPU stays pegged at 84C with the boost clock fluctuating between ~1650mhz-1850mhz. The performance is a noticeable jump from a 1080 even if it's a low clocked blower.

The card is designed to stick at 84c at stock. My CPU (7700k) temps also dropped drastically because the 1080 I had recycled hot air in the case (zotac amp extreme 1080).

As long as it's a blower card it will cool fine. I'd presume this gigabyte card will cool similarly as the founders edition also. Maybe do some googling to validate that it has a vapor chamber like the founders edition? If so that's a good indicator of strong cooling.

Thanks Steve0Kinev0 :D. According to its product page (https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N108TTURBO-11GD#kf), it does have a vapor chamber.

This is my 1080 ti, It is under 80°C when FULL LOAD and using custom fan setting, a little bit shortcoming is the noise. To say, 1582 MHz /1480 MHz in gaming mode is already good enough.

Thanks kirkclick. That's pretty reassuring to know.

I still have a few days to decide, so I won't rush to buy this; I'm planning to buy all of my parts on September and I'm order no. 1199 so. . . yeah, no point rushing :)) Again, thanks to all those who replied.

Over 7 weeks and counting for first batch, first shipment, no sentry. I would like to hazard a guess that the next time someone asks, your response will be: "6-8 weeks is normal."

Over 7 weeks and counting for first batch, first shipment, no sentry. I would like to hazard a guess that the next time someone asks, your response will be: "6-8 weeks is normal."

You should probably contact them directly so they can follow-up the delivery number with the shipping company. Being passive aggressive here and making vague implications of foul play/intent won't really get you anywhere. Just saying.

No. Normal is that the ship can be delayed or few packages from the whole transport could be stopped for customs additional check. We sent packages and also tracking numbers we received. When you ask, we are reporting problems with delivery to our transport companies and with questions why some of the packages (10-20%) aren't still in our backers hands. I phoned them many times this week. I wrote a big report with tracking numbers for packages which aren't still delivered. I also personally drove there to talk with someone to get some more information. I'm contacting with those people so many times, that when they hear my voice i don't have to introduce myself, because they know why I'm calling. At this moment the only information we received about those packages from 1st transport is that, some of them at the beginning of the journey were stopped by customs services for the additional check and those cases "might" miss the same ship as other packages. I still didn't get detailed official answer, but only some phone calls. Right now, almost every answer we get is like "You understand it is a ship... right?". We are checking your tracking numbers everyday. At the start of the week there were like 30 packages from 1st transport which weren't delivered. Now there are something like 20 packages left. If you have some ideas what more can we do to get information on which stage is your package, please let us know. We will try it and share this information with others. Thanks.

This is a lesson for us, that trying to make transport as cheap as possible isn't always the best decision. Maybe ~$70-100 USD 10-days shipment instead $27 economic transport wasn't such a bad idea...

p.s. Answering your possible question: Yes, I tried to get ship's/ships GPS tracking information, but i didn't received it.

I did ryzen 1700 3.6 overclock with is40-v3 cooler today. and the result was desperate...
After running Linx 15 round temperature is 104c~ more then high, I had to stop Linx.
so I cant use computer after overclocking... anyone know what is my problem? A mistake in installing a cooler? I dont know what can I do...

Attachments

• 1499021428902.jpg
    1499021428902.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 61
Back