SENTRY: Console-sized gaming PC case project

- you have to figure out what to do with power switch

What are the dimensions of the power switch you're using? I'm working on an RGB power switch with a low profile and side-entry connector, maybe that would solve the problem here.

The one we're using is 16mm in diameter and 18mm long so after going through two pieces of metal on the front it sticks out at 16mm + the bend radius required. This isn't too big of a problem except for this situation where you'd like to go with water cooling.

I know that there are shorter switches, but getting something with LED ring and black body is quite hard except for this one.

If You have some info on something better that this then it might help people thinking about going for water cooling in our case.

the switch could move to the middle. if people start modding this case they have to expect to put a little work in. ive moved and replaced switches in many cases over the years. it could move here:

KJgK1fD.jpg

The one we're using is 16mm in diameter and 18mm long so after going through two pieces of metal on the front it sticks out at 16mm + the bend radius required. This isn't too big of a problem except for this situation where you'd like to go with water cooling.

I know that there are shorter switches, but getting something with LED ring and black body is quite hard except for this one.

If You have some info on something better that this then it might help people thinking about going for water cooling in our case.

Ah I see, my button is 18.5mm long but as I said, the connection is on the side, so maybe that's enough in this case. You can take a look at this thread if you want to know more, but as I said, it's still in development.

Ok so I created my "wooden CPU cooler" with 80mm x 80mm holes (after measuring twice its more like 79'ish by 80mm) along with two different bolts I'll be trying out. I got to busy this weekend so I'll try the fit test tomorrow.

pmogT1a.jpg

Here is the supplies

W9ED5ub.jpg

and the finished cooler.

Last edited:
cool man! im sure someone will hardline it in no time!
can you turn the water block 180 to give the hose a bit more length or do the barbs hit the ram? its hard to tell from the pics how much clearance you have around the block. if it just just barely touches the ram you could do that and then snake the psu cable between the psu and ram. and maybe, if its not needed, remove that little dog-leg bracket in the center of the wall to make it easier to close.

edit: and if you turf the front usb3 header you might be able to fit a sdd on an angle.

I think I owe You a cookie :)

I switched the block rotation by 90 degrees to the right so hoses are facing the right side of the case, not the 180, but we're on something here. I'll post new photos tomorrow. I hope I'll get the new card delivered by then and maybe it'll fit by some magic

Last edited:
So what's everyone using while they wait for this case? I'm thinking the Silverstone ML08 is the closest thing we have right now.

So what's everyone using while they wait for this case? I'm thinking the Silverstone ML08 is the closest thing we have right now.
I have an old Cooler Master elite 361 with a giant hole in the side from an attempt at adding a window. I hate it with a passion. I refuse to buy a temporary case though.

Hate even think bout it. In late january-february i'll be forced to buy a compact case, but i'm beggin Saper and Zombie to finish their case before that. Sentry one love <3

I have an old Cooler Master elite 361 with a giant hole in the side from an attempt at adding a window. I hate it with a passion. I refuse to buy a temporary case though.

Same shi!, bro. Ol' cm elite 361 isn't small enough for me now.

As promised, updated photo of the AIO setup:

b8CHSps.jpg

the GTX 1060 doesn't fit yet though.

At this point I can see that we could have some space to move the cooler up to the front since hoses have the length for that, but we'd have to figure out the switch and probably widen the hole in central wall (I don't think that's possible at this point though)

I kind of see that this could be possible if someone got a 16mm plug instead of power switch and used dremel to widen the hole so the radiator can leave 1cm more for the 175mm GPU. At the same time, small switch could be installed in one of the holes for the antennas, or one of the holes at the back of the case near the power connector.

The aio is exciting to see, even though I've never been much of a liquid cooling guy. I'm too paranoid of leaks. I go for low wattage cpu's, like the i7-4790S anyway. Also I won't give up my gtx 1080 just for 15C lower cpu temps haha. Maybe if I build a pc for my dad I could do something like this.

Hopefully the aio testing doesn't delay the normal production and shipment of Sentry. It's just something to occupy the time while waiting for bureaucracy?

Yeah, it won't. I'm actually taking quite a long vacation from today to speed up things with campaign, I've been dealing with whenever I had some free time.

Most of that is campaign page, and while You might be okay with simple page with huge button in the center saying "Buy me!", it's not that simple because there's still other people who might be interested and more importantly we have to do it properly to not get our campaign cancelled randomly when we start getting money.

Anyway it's this tiny bit of work and the mentioned earlier paperwork that's still keeping us from launching campaign.

Is the ITX gigabyte 1070 expected to fit in this case?
From the info I've got from other threads here on 1070 mini it looks like we're 1 or 2 mm short to fit the card itself inside, before even thinking about fitting PEG power connector.

Gigabyte simply went and made the card even bigger than the 970 mini. both card's connectors are on the same height so the fact that it's recessed in 1070 doesn't really do much vs the PEG fitting problems with 970 mini.

And I really did want to figure that out, because I wanted to pick that card for my own build, but in the end all data shows it's impossible to fit this.

If it's anything like my pc-q12 it'll be nice. I had to modify my q12 to accept a low profile gpu. Great case otherwise. Looks like sentry will be smaller than the q19 though, by a lot. So if you're after size go with sentry. If you want brushed aluminum and that lian li quality, get the q19, but it won't be nearly as small as sentry. Can't wait? Just build an open air setup. That's what I did. I'm traveling now so can't post pictures but it was super cheap and surprisingly sufficient.

Brief description:

Base:12in x12in x 3/8in ABS

25mm brass motherboard standoffs

Heavy rubber feet from guitar amp bolted to corners

Gpu secured to vertical 1in x 1/4in ABS secured to base with L-brackets.

Ssd cage made out of more angle and L-brackets.

Psu mounted to base with more L-brackets

Total cost ~$30
Cheap way to hold me over until sentry is available. Plus after I get sentry I can use this as a test bench or for troubleshooting

Last edited:
Just to clarify things about C7 because I'm not so sure that You can get a lot of motherboards not having this possible issue:

MB97bqnl.jpg

The area marked by red tint touches the motherboard in this orientation and When mounting you simply cannot be sure whether the screws are properly tightened or not in this orientation.

AGkP3wSl.jpg

Hi, guys!
I'm waiting for the sentry almost a year so I recently decided to start my build without the case and purchased all parts except video card. As you can see on the photo, I have mini-itx asus z170i pro gaming motherboard with huge solid caps near socket. C7 cooler fits nice to this board without any problems except backplate. Impossible to mount it due to interface with smd components on the pcb hence I have to use washers.
P61215-001525.jpg P61215-001609.jpg P61217-112842.jpg

Do any of the 2.5" bays support 15mm drives?

With short GPU, or with one that has blower that is thinner than the rest of the card You should be able to mount 15mm drive in the bottom of GPU compartment. With quad 2.5" bracket You should be able to use 3 of them (one upside down) along with up to 200mm GPU.

The bigger problem here would be the fact that the motherboard may have the connector for those drives facing outward and You might not fit the plug because of the power supply proximity.

For those, who wanted it. http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-frequency-world-record-3-ghz/ (second post)
GALAX Also Announces Single Slot GeForce GTX 1070 Graphics Card
+2 ssd/hdd for sentry under the gpu. Maybe 1070SLI in Sentry2 =)

While going for single slot + 3 x ssd underneath looks ok to me, going for SLI with it won't work well in Sentry, because it's not exhausting hot air through the slot but through a gap in cooling shroud.

If You go with one of those, then You can use vented slot cover below and You'll be fine though.

I've got the same problem with two workstations I've made recently based on Quadro FX4800 that looks like this:

hp_fx4800_compeve.jpg

It blows air inside the case and it cannot be used without vertical stand because of that since it'll keep recycling hot air gathering below the card.

Also I don't know if there are any mainstream motherboards that support pci-e slot bifurcation and if You can get some riser with two x8 slots that would work well with sentry.

Finally I think that considering the temperatures that SSDs can handle, I'd rather go for something like Zotac 1070 Mini and figure out fitting those quad stacked drives in front of it.

While going for single slot + 3 x ssd underneath looks ok to me, going for SLI with it won't work well in Sentry, because it's not exhausting hot air through the slot but through a gap in cooling shroud.

If You go with one of those, then You can use vented slot cover below and You'll be fine though.

I've got the same problem with two workstations I've made recently based on Quadro FX4800 that looks like this:

hp_fx4800_compeve.jpg

It blows air inside the case and it cannot be used without vertical stand because of that since it'll keep recycling hot air gathering below the card.

Also I don't know if there are any mainstream motherboards that support pci-e slot bifurcation and if You can get some riser with two x8 slots that would work well with sentry.

Finally I think that considering the temperatures that SSDs can handle, I'd rather go for something like Zotac 1070 Mini and figure out fitting those quad stacked drives in front of it.
It was just a joke, guys, but thx anyway. However, theoretically, if they give up Dvi and dp\hdmi, going for single dp\hdmi with rear exhaust, you will be able to use sli with m.2 to pcie x4 adapter =) Don't know tho how x16+x4 will work

Afaik SLI doesn't work in x16+x4, this is only limited to crossfire. You need x8+x8 or x16+x8 and that's why there are a lot of mATX mobos with crossfire and not many with SLI support.
You could use some of those new multi GPU rendering modes in the DX12? I think it was DX12.

By the way, I wish that AMD would pick up it's miniDTX format and start making boards with two slots x16 that are electrically x8 as competition to the miniITX form factor. With something like that single slot 1070 would really be something worth considering SLI for ;)

Good morning, when the product will be released? It talks about a month, six months or a year? because in two months I will make a new pc and I thought about this product, but not if it comes out this summer or end of next year .. thanks

Good morning, when the product will be released? It talks about a month, six months or a year? because in two months I will make a new pc and I thought about this product, but not if it comes out this summer or end of next year .. thanks

Like I said last Friday, I'm literally sitting around the clock in front of PC since Saturday making the campaign page. So think about how close we are :)

We still didn't get information about the documents which we sent to the Ministry of Environment. We are also waiting for the answer from the National Post and for the offer from the DHL. When we will know the current cost of the shipment, then we will start the campaign. Without this information we can't move forward.

From the good news, today i received a new set of screws. All of them work with magnetic screwdrivers.
We will let you know when we'll be ready. I was assured that, In 2 days i should get an offer for shipment and then we will know everything.

Like I said last Friday, I'm literally sitting around the clock in front of PC since Saturday making the campaign page. So think about how close we are :)

We still didn't get information about the documents which we sent to the Ministry of Environment. We are also waiting for the answer from the National Post and for the offer from the DHL. When we will know the current cost of the shipment, then we will start the campaign. Without this information we can't move forward.

From the good news, today i received a new set of screws. All of them work with magnetic screwdrivers.
We will let you know when we'll be ready. I was assured that, In 2 days i should get an offer for shipment and then we will know everything.

Good luck and happy new year, guys! In mid-january i will have 250$ stacked waiting for Sentry (hope it will be enough). Hope your holydays will pass very good and you will start the campaign at the very beginning of 2017!

Good luck and happy new year, guys! In mid-january i will have 250$ stacked waiting for Sentry (hope it will be enough). Hope your holydays will pass very good and you will start the campaign at the very beginning of 2017!

We also wish you all guys happy holidays and a happy new year. We hope today (or at least tomorrow) DHL will give us the offer for shipment, so we could make you all happy with finally starting the campaign :)

Quadro FX4800 that looks like this:

hp_fx4800_compeve.jpg

That's the first time I've ever seen a GPU actually employ the PCIe standard support bracket. But yeah, the GALAX 1070 will have similar issues, certainly. Especially in this case, one will be running quite cool and the other one will be boiling. Not an ideal setup :/

That's a Hewlett Packard approach to specifications - they actually had cases supporting this feature in workstations.

If you put two single slot 1070s inside then both will be boiling because either one won't have the exhaust bracket and the bottom one will push its hot air underneath itself and recycling it over and over.

Back