Sensor-1: A Tiny But Powerful Security System

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Some of you may find this interesting to keep track of valuables. Sensor-1 is a tiny—well, sensor— that you can stick to just about anything and get a notification on your smartphone when it senses motion. If the proximity is good, I may have to try one for my bike.

If the device is moved a certain distance — how far depends on the owner's settings — it will sound an alarm and alert the owner's smartphone via a Bluetooth connection. It can also be programmed to alert the user if it's been left behind. Depending on what's being protected, Sensor-1 can be programmed with different settings for specific objects, from bags to bicycles, so it won't go off, say, if the item is merely jostled.

Uhh doesn't seem hard to just take out. And heck, even if you attach it securely, can't you just cover it with foil so that it cannot send any signal? just saying.

edit:
HOLY CRAP! i can edit my post on a news thread! this is more interesting and awesome to me lol

A) They've had these around forever

B) They're on the bluetooth spectrum, meaning they're limited to 30meters for direct line of sight with no interference, let alone stuff like other bluetooth connections, number of cell phones, wireless routers etc clouding up the radio spectrum etc

C) This doesn't stop a thief from grabbing your stuff and running like the dickens, which they normally do when caught

FYI: Keep your stuff in a bag and sew a bike chain wire into it like everyone else does

Or you could just not leave your laptop on the table of a coffee shop regardless of your assumed faith in mankind that asking someone you don't know to watch it will end up being a good thing.

Reminds me of the old Eddie Murphy comedy routine about new car tech ala "in the hood" version: "Ding! Someone stole yo battry!" This tech is about as useful as the Bluetooth enabled water bottle idea. Now make it completely covert/hidden wth GPS tracking ala low-jack and they might have something, but as is it looks a lot like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. Ding! Someone just stole your shit... Yup, really useful!

If you just left your bike out in the open, even with this dumb sensor, how is that going to prevent someone from stealing it?

This is so dumb, $80 for a motion sensor that relies on a bluetooth connection? What if you go into a store and it loses connection?

Back