Sennheiser HD555s vs HD580s

Artluo100

Limp Gawd
Going to be ordering a new Macbook Pro soon and I might as well order new headphones to come along with it. I've been browsing around and I found these 2 Sennheisers that are in my price range.

Which one of these headphones are better? The HD555s or the HD580s? The HD580 are a bit more ($124.99) vs the HD555 ($94.39). Is the HD580 worth the extra $30?

B00005S8KM.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

HD580s

B0001FTVDQ.01._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_V63724872_.jpg

HD555s

If it comes down to looks, I think the 555s look better ;)

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 555's are supposed to be pretty good from what i've heard, but since i have the Senn 595's i really can't tell you exactly. Haven't heard much about the 580's tho but that doesn't mean they aren't good. Alot more in this forum probably could tell you more.
(You probably could find a pair of 595's in the 125 range i'd think if you wanted to go that route also...Very good all around phones)

The 580's are being discontinued, so get them while you can, if that's what you want. The 555's are easier to drive, and will sound louder at the same volume setting of most given applications. If the Macbook has as powerful a headphone jack as my laptop (Fujitsu N3511) neither one should present a problem or require an amp.

The 580's do have overall better sound quality in most regards (more details and stronger bass are the most significant), and are better built. They are a bit heavier, but actually more comfortable to me because the pads are larger and nicer. Of course the 555's have better looks (IMO) and the lesser hassle of a single-sided cable.

You'll just have to balance which features are more attractive to you. The price difference is pretty inconsequential.

amps range anywhere from $30 to absurd amount. you can definitely get away with a <$100 amp and really enjoy the 580's, but i think you'll enjoy the 580's even without an amp.

Artluo100 said:
How much do amps cost these days?
Don't worry about that at the moment. Spring for the HD580, and later down the road you can worry about amps if you're not satisfied. ^_^

Alright looks like I'm gonna shoot for thr 580s.
Can't WAIT! :D

Does anybody know how is the sound on the Macbook Pro?

using Lossless audio it's pretty good. needs an amp for sure like a mint or pint. MisterX makes some good ones. check Head-Fi for used amps and cables.

Yeah I heard the 580s are finicky about the amps. Also people are saying the analog output of the Macbook Pro isn't that great, better to go with a digital-analog converter (DAC) for better audio quality. Do I need an amp for a DAC (sorry for being a noob at this) ? or does it already come with one?

If the 555s doesn't need an amp to sound good, should I just go with it? I don't want to shell out another 100 or more for an amp and dac.

Artluo100 said:
Do I need an amp for a DAC (sorry for being a noob at this) ? or does it already come with one?
Some do come with an amp that you can plug your headphones into, although for cheap DAC's I havn't heard of one that got good recommendations.

Other's don't, and you will probably want an amp simply for the volume control if nothing else.

Oh I see.

Is there any DIY amps and dac's (I see some on Head-Fi)? Where would you get the parts?

Artluo100 said:
Oh I see.

Is there any DIY amps and dac's (I see some on Head-Fi)? Where would you get the parts?

There are lots of DIY DACs and amps. Many of which you should be able to find the schematics for on head-fi. As far as parts, many of them can be found at radio-shack (online). Parts express might have some parts you need also, but I haven't really looked into how there selection on electrical stuff is. I use them mostly for cabling stuff.

The clincher for me in deciding the 580's over 555's was the ability to replace the cables.After about a year of heavy use being able to swap out the cable was much nicer than having a useless paperweight. If you do go with the 580's and need to replace the cable you can use the much higher quality 650 line which is for some strange reason much cheaper(11.62 vs 17.93) than the thinner 580's.

Yeah I'm def. leaning towards the 580s. I've been searching around for some DAC's, I'm not sure what kind of DAC do I need. Does anybody have recommendations? What about the Alien DAC? I've heard good things about it. Also do Mac's support these USB DAC's? Can I create a DAC that has a USB input, Optical input (or SPDIF, which one is better) and then a minijack and a 1/4" jack? Sorry for being such a noob about this. I just caught onto this whole audiophile scene.

Thanks for those links above btw. :)

Yea, if you're already looking into DAC's.............................. (Your poor wallet!)
Seriously though, if you're looking into DAC's and you want to get into this audio hobby full bore, the HD580 should be the choice over the HD555.
As strange as it sounds, I'm actually listening to some HD580's right now (my dad's finally got here........ great price from amazon.com ). For the price I'de recommend them.

As for DAC's, I guess it all depends on what MAC you have and what version of the OS you're running. You will have to do your research though, as there may be some additional steps to take to get USB DAC's to work with an OSX. If your laptop has optical that's another option too.

I've been happy with MHDT lab's and their USB+ Constantine DAC. They sell on ebay and offer different DAC's as they make them. Some people have got the non USB version for around 230$us.

~Enjoy

the 580s almost need an amp to really get out the good sound, as they are close to 300ohms. i would say snap a setup of the 595s if you can. thats what i got, and after listening to both, i like the 595s more, less paunchy bass, and overall better quality.
build quality is also better on the 595s.

Hm.. HD595s for around ~$150 shipped. Mannn, sheesh little by little my money is going to be drained.

Anyway I know my mac has an optical out. Should I just build one with the optical input instead of USB? Which one is better? I still need an amp right? How would I power the Optical DAC?

total bithead is a USB DAC and Amp all in one. I would reccommend that as the easiest and cheapest solution. you will be very happy with it.

I am going from a set of 555s to a set of 580s (should be here today). Mainly the reason is i wanted something with more detail. Most people compare the 580s to the 600s since i belive that they share the same driver? Also, people love the 580s for a few reason, 1 they are 130$ phones that was once top of the line Sennhesier. 2 cable is replaceable with higher end Sennheisers. A lot of people tend to upgrade their stock cable to a HD650 stock cable. 3 Senn 580s can use the HD600s grille.

Basically you can change the cable and the outside grilles with better ones, some say changing the sound.

I do agree with the majority. If you dont plan on getting a amp, go with the 555s. If you want more detail, tigher bass...go with the 595s. However, if you want to try your hands with a amp...then the 580s are supposed to be the best choice if not then top 3 of mid grade cans.

This is just copied from my post at headfi ...this is just initial impressions, will post more when i get a good break in period.

I just got mine in the mail and i have to say, coming from the HD555s, these are MUCH nicer. The bass is more present and tighter..the hi are soo crisp compared to the 555s its amazing. The mids are about the same, maybe alittle more up front on the 555s then the 580s. However, the soundstage seems smaller on the 580s. Also, you can notice these cans want more power...my go vibe is maxed out right now and the music is just a tad uncomfortable. The 555s could go well above the point of being comfortable, basically blow your ears drums in a matter of seconds. However, the 555s are bigger, which might be better for people with HUGE ears. The sound from the 555s are darker so might be a better choice to use them for extended periods of time. The pads on the 580s are also stiffer then the 555s, maybe due to the size. The also seem to have alittle more pressure on your head, this might cause the better bass reponse.

Just intial thoughts, these have alittle burn in them already from the person i bought them from...but hardly enough for a good break in. Im going to put about 24 hours of straight bassey music and about another 72+ hours in normal listening and post back thoughts...

But off the bat...much nicer tigher bass, CRISPY hi's, smaller sound stage...if the 555s put you in the 10th row, the 580s bring you up to 1st or 2nd row. I belive with the amp, the 580s are surely worth the extra money vs the 555's. I almost find myself wanting my 555s back for hours of gaming.

Back